'Ruud out after Ronaldo dad jibe'

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

'Ruud out after Ronaldo dad jibe'

Post by Duke Raoul »

More details emerged last night of the sensational training ground bust-up that has resulted in the seemingly inevitable departure of Ruud van Nistelrooy from Manchester United.

The striker, available for £10m according to The Guardian, stormed out of Old Trafford on Sunday after finding out he had not been selected for United's 16 man-squad for their game against Charlton, the final match of the Premiership season, that afternoon.

At the time the club refused to comment, with Sir Alex Ferguson only saying afterwards that "a couple of incidents in training that concerned me in terms of the spirit of the club" had resulted in Van Nistelrooy's exclusion, and that he would discuss the Dutchman's future with club directors in the next 48 hours.

But the full extent of the disfavour the Dutchman has fallen into was not immediately clear.

According to The Independent, the "incidents in training" that Ferguson referred to were manifestations of the rapidly-deteriorating relationship between Van Nistelrooy and Cristiano Ronaldo.

Ronaldo has been the subject of Van Nistelrooy's ire on a number of occasions, with the Dutchman critical of his Portuguese team-mate's tendency to hold onto the ball for too long - a trait Van Nistelrooy felt was costing both United and himself vital goals.

A training ground bust-up between the two in January ended with punches being thrown, and a second incident on Saturday morning reignited the ill-feeling between the two players.

During 'a heated exchange' Van Nistelrooy told the young Portuguese to go and talk to "his dad" - a disparaging reference, says The Independent, to United assistant manager Carlos Queiroz.

The remark carried particular sting, as Ronaldo lost his father in September - a bereavement that has been widely seen as responsible for the very loss of form earlier in the season that Van Nistelrooy was so critical of. A 'clearly upset' Ronaldo replied that he 'did not have a dad'.

Van Nistelrooy then arrived on Sunday having thought no more of the incident - only to be told that he was not included in the match-day squad. On hearing that, the Dutchman said to club captain Gary Neville: "Good luck for the game. I'm off."

Van Nistelrooy promptly took a taxi back to Old Trafford, where he picked up his car and drove straight to Manchester Airport before taking the next available flight to the Netherlands.

Van Nistelrooy has also failed to receive an invitation to take part in former team-mate Roy Keane's testimonial later this week, although whether that snub came before or after his actions over the weekend is unclear. It completes a remarkable fall from grace for a player considered for the club captaincy by Ferguson after the Irishman's high-profile departure.
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

Colm
Mullet

Post by Colm »

All I can say is Cheerio Cheerio Cheerio ...
the_git
Graduate

Post by the_git »

Why the long face Ruud?

:oops: Terrible I know, I've collected my coat and i'll close the door on my way out.
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

There have been a lot of unedifying departures from Old Trafford over the years, and they've all been marked by a sustained period of 'briefing' against the discarded player. It's classless, I don't like it and it doesn't seem to happen at any other club.

However, as a Liverpool fan can I just say :lol: .
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

Thanks for the goals Ruud but MU don't need that sorta thing.
Poor Cristiano....anyway more importantly Keano's testimonial tonight......I'll be the one sobbing...
RobbieRockBoy
Enlightened

Post by RobbieRockBoy »

bluesky wrote:Thanks for the goals Ruud but MU don't need that sorta thing.
Poor Cristiano....anyway more importantly Keano's testimonial tonight......I'll be the one sobbing...
because you'll be seeing how low the once mighty have fallen no doubt..
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

RobbieRockBoy wrote:
Indeed, I have reservations about Gary Neville as club captain too.
dingbat
Mullet

Post by dingbat »

bluesky wrote:
RobbieRockBoy wrote:
None about his dodgy facial hair??? ;)
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

dingbat wrote:
bluesky wrote:
RobbieRockBoy wrote: because you'll be seeing how low the once mighty have fallen no doubt..
None about his dodgy facial hair??? ;)
Didn't notice it, more like bum fluff I'd imagine!
Wonder will Roy give him a bolickin tonight, oh how enjoyable it would be to see Roy go absolutely mental at Gary....he'd wince with every word!