Monaghan fury over rugby bid to stop kids playing GAA

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Monaghan fury over rugby bid to stop kids playing GAA

Post by thecoolfreak »

From today's Indo
MONAGHAN GAA officials are furious over reports that a local rugby club competing in an under 16 final have advised dual players not to play Gaelic football until their commitments to the oval ball are over for the season.

A number of the players involved with the rugby team are also members of the Monaghan under 16 development squad and are among the most talented in their age group in the county.

The matter was raised at this week's County Board and Monaghan chairman John Connolly issued a strong directive to all clubs, reminding them of their duty to promote Gaelic games and "to ensure that their players played GAA and showed loyalty to their clubs".

"We must make sure we give our games priority," he said. "It is totally unacceptable for someone to come and dictate to our clubs that their players cannot play for them. We will not tolerate it.

"I have no problem with players playing other games," Connolly added. "But I do have a problem when it gets to the stage that these people are dictating to us. The club player is the bedrock of the association and with numbers limited, it makes the matter much more acute."

Connolly said the situation will be "monitored on an on-going basis as the drain on players at this age strikes at the very heart of games development".

Ironically, a former Monaghan GAA minor player, Tommy Bowe, who plays his rugby with Ulster, made his senior debut for Ireland this season.
Talk about being hypocritical. The GAA are the very people who tell young players that if they play any other sports they will not let them play. I know of several people who they told to choose between one sport or the other before they were in their late teens
sexy_rexy
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Monaghan fury over rugby bid to stop kids playing GAA

Post by sexy_rexy »

thecoolfreak wrote:From today's Indo
MONAGHAN GAA officials are furious over reports that a local rugby club competing in an under 16 final have advised dual players not to play Gaelic football until their commitments to the oval ball are over for the season.

A number of the players involved with the rugby team are also members of the Monaghan under 16 development squad and are among the most talented in their age group in the county.

The matter was raised at this week's County Board and Monaghan chairman John Connolly issued a strong directive to all clubs, reminding them of their duty to promote Gaelic games and "to ensure that their players played GAA and showed loyalty to their clubs".

"We must make sure we give our games priority," he said. "It is totally unacceptable for someone to come and dictate to our clubs that their players cannot play for them. We will not tolerate it.

"I have no problem with players playing other games," Connolly added. "But I do have a problem when it gets to the stage that these people are dictating to us. The club player is the bedrock of the association and with numbers limited, it makes the matter much more acute."

Connolly said the situation will be "monitored on an on-going basis as the drain on players at this age strikes at the very heart of games development".

Ironically, a former Monaghan GAA minor player, Tommy Bowe, who plays his rugby with Ulster, made his senior debut for Ireland this season.

Typical GAA why should they have the right to the players. Leave it up to the kids if they want to play rugby or GAA, what a load of rubbish. A load of overweight, has-beens (AKA The County Board) have no right to decide for them.

In saying that the local rugby club were wrong to say they couldn't do both, but then again, it was more than likely said by a coach at the end of a training session, and not decided on by a group.
TrueBlue
Enlightened

Post by TrueBlue »

its a big problen in Tullamore too. A lot of the U16 and U18 players play bogball for the town andc the county, and it seems the local GAA gets the upper hand every time....through disciplining the players i would imagine...

...it really does my box in, but thats because i see rugby as the better game
Leinster-Heineken European Cup Champions 2007
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

The ultimate irony is that in recent years most inter-county management teams will not even countenance the dual-player (ie. Hurling and Football) at that level let alone 'allow' someone play rugby.
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

groundhog
Knowledgeable

Post by groundhog »

It is ironic that the GAA are complaining as they have been doing it for years. But it's the players decision and certainly not the coach of either code.
The French pulled up the Scots' kilts and discovered they had no balls - Zinzan Brooke
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

It just goes to show that with a bit of success on the rugby field, some canny marketing and the possibility of global exposure and real financial rewards for the best players rugby could become very much bigger than it is. As the population of Ireland grows and there are more blow-ins I can see the GAA having a very difficult time ahead if it doesn't want to appear as some off shoot organisation that is maintaining it's own view of Ireland past. It will need to change or wither. But that's the problem for the GAA not us.
"I don't think Edinburgh is the place it used to be"
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

The IRFU should set up and subsidise a Polish rugby club. THose guys are all feckin huge and would make monster props
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

epaddy wrote:The IRFU should set up and subsidise a Polish rugby club. THose guys are all feckin huge and would make monster props
It'd be good for club bar receipts too......
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
rex banner
Mullet

Post by rex banner »

Flash Gordon wrote:
epaddy wrote:The IRFU should set up and subsidise a Polish rugby club. THose guys are all feckin huge and would make monster props
It'd be good for club bar receipts too......
They would be all wrecked at half time ......have you seen the amount these guys smoke, it abnormal.And they seem to be cheapo polish smokes with the filters ripped off them.
`````````\|||/
`````````(o o)
,--ooO-----(_)-------------l
| ```````PAINT ```````l
| ````````THE````````l
| `````` `RDS````````l
| ```````BLUE````````l
'--------------Ooo---------l
````````|__|__|
`````````||``||
````````ooO Ooo