Ryder Cup

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Re: Ryder Cup

Postby jezzer » January 16th, 2013, 10:41 pm

No question. But he brings a different vibe to the Montys and Langers, I imagine. Determined and experienced Im sure. Probably calm under pressure. Could you envisage him rallying and driving the team to an incredible comeback like we just saw? What do people think? Delighted for him and he certainly deserved his candidacy on merit. Just interested to see how he'll pan out.
User avatar
jezzer
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 7103
Joined: February 1st, 2006, 12:41 pm

Re: Ryder Cup

Postby blockhead » January 16th, 2013, 11:21 pm

Why shouldn't he do well. He's popular, a Ryder Cup legend, understands team golf as good as anyone. His ego will not be factor like Montys might have been. I think the team will be highly motivated and Paul will know just how to channel it.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3617
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: Ryder Cup

Postby The Anathemata » September 27th, 2014, 2:07 am

Europe off to a great start, with some amazing clutch putts sprinkled over some terrible approach play. Hard to know if it's just both sides struggling with links at this time of year or if it's just the woeful course.

FIFA getting hammered for picking Qatar and Russia for the WC, but little is made of dumps like this getting chosen consistently for RCs and BOs. Roll on RD - a proper golf course!
The Anathemata
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 265
Joined: May 5th, 2014, 6:10 pm

Re: Ryder Cup

Postby cormac » September 27th, 2014, 11:19 am

The Anathemata wrote:Europe off to a great start, with some amazing clutch putts sprinkled over some terrible approach play. Hard to know if it's just both sides struggling with links at this time of year or if it's just the woeful course.

FIFA getting hammered for picking Qatar and Russia for the WC, but little is made of dumps like this getting chosen consistently for RCs and BOs. Roll on RD - a proper golf course!


It's not a links course.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
User avatar
cormac
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 4531
Joined: May 24th, 2006, 2:05 pm

Re: Ryder Cup

Postby The Anathemata » September 27th, 2014, 1:13 pm

cormac wrote:
The Anathemata wrote:Europe off to a great start, with some amazing clutch putts sprinkled over some terrible approach play. Hard to know if it's just both sides struggling with links at this time of year or if it's just the woeful course.

FIFA getting hammered for picking Qatar and Russia for the WC, but little is made of dumps like this getting chosen consistently for RCs and BOs. Roll on RD - a proper golf course!


It's not a links course.


Not by the sea, but for all intensive design purposes (undulation/sand/gravel) its a links course.
The Anathemata
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 265
Joined: May 5th, 2014, 6:10 pm

Re: Ryder Cup

Postby cormac » September 27th, 2014, 2:36 pm

The Anathemata wrote:
cormac wrote:
The Anathemata wrote:Europe off to a great start, with some amazing clutch putts sprinkled over some terrible approach play. Hard to know if it's just both sides struggling with links at this time of year or if it's just the woeful course.

FIFA getting hammered for picking Qatar and Russia for the WC, but little is made of dumps like this getting chosen consistently for RCs and BOs. Roll on RD - a proper golf course!


It's not a links course.


Not by the sea, but for all intensive design purposes (undulation/sand/gravel) its a links course.


It doesn't look or play anything like a links course.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
User avatar
cormac
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 4531
Joined: May 24th, 2006, 2:05 pm

Re: Ryder Cup

Postby The Anathemata » September 27th, 2014, 5:50 pm

cormac wrote:
The Anathemata wrote:
cormac wrote:
It's not a links course.


Not by the sea, but for all intensive design purposes (undulation/sand/gravel) its a links course.


It doesn't look or play anything like a links course.


"The Gleneagles courses, although not by the sea, resemble the older links golf courses in Scotland in that they are built on sand and gravel..."

http://www.gleneagles.com/golf/history
The Anathemata
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 265
Joined: May 5th, 2014, 6:10 pm

Re: Ryder Cup

Postby Donny B. » September 27th, 2014, 9:43 pm

For shezzz balls, I just realised I'm the motherf%~king man on this bitch!!!!
User avatar
Donny B.
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 26624
Joined: March 27th, 2006, 3:10 pm
Location: D12!!!!!!!!!

Re: Ryder Cup

Postby blockhead » September 27th, 2014, 10:33 pm

Tomorrows singles match ups:
Singles matches (Tee times BST):

11:36: Graeme McDowell v Jordan Spieth

11:48: Henrik Stenson v Patrick Reed

12:00: Rory McIlroy v Rickie Fowler

12:12: Justin Rose v Hunter Mahan

12:24: Stephen Gallacher v Phil Mickelson

12:36: Martin Kaymer v Bubba Watson

12:48: Thomas Bjorn v Matt Kuchar

13:00: Sergio Garcia v Jim Furyk

13:12: Ian Poulter v Webb Simpson

13:24: Jamie Donaldson v Keegan Bradley

13:36: Lee Westwood v Jimmy Walker

13:48: Victor Dubuisson v Zach Johnson


Rory v Fowler, that's gonna be a biggie!

Amazing golf out there today. Rose in particular in the morning session was simply sensational. Rory found his form and played on his own against two brilliant yanks until Poulter finally got going near the end. Gmac and Dubusisson just steam rolled their opponents in the foursomes.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3617
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: Ryder Cup

Postby The Anathemata » September 27th, 2014, 10:49 pm

blockhead wrote:Tomorrows singles match ups:
Singles matches (Tee times BST):

11:36: Graeme McDowell v Jordan Spieth

11:48: Henrik Stenson v Patrick Reed

12:00: Rory McIlroy v Rickie Fowler

12:12: Justin Rose v Hunter Mahan

12:24: Stephen Gallacher v Phil Mickelson

12:36: Martin Kaymer v Bubba Watson

12:48: Thomas Bjorn v Matt Kuchar

13:00: Sergio Garcia v Jim Furyk

13:12: Ian Poulter v Webb Simpson

13:24: Jamie Donaldson v Keegan Bradley

13:36: Lee Westwood v Jimmy Walker

13:48: Victor Dubuisson v Zach Johnson


Rory v Fowler, that's gonna be a biggie!

Amazing golf out there today. Rose in particular in the morning session was simply sensational. Rory found his form and played on his own against two brilliant yanks until Poulter finally got going near the end. Gmac and Dubusisson just steam rolled their opponents in the foursomes.


Looking at those match ups, you'd swear that SKY & NBC made them. Too much EU talent out late. VD starting last is a joke. He's been the player of the series with Speith
The Anathemata
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 265
Joined: May 5th, 2014, 6:10 pm

Re: Ryder Cup

Postby blockhead » September 27th, 2014, 11:11 pm

The Anathemata wrote:
blockhead wrote:Tomorrows singles match ups:
Singles matches (Tee times BST):

11:36: Graeme McDowell v Jordan Spieth

11:48: Henrik Stenson v Patrick Reed

12:00: Rory McIlroy v Rickie Fowler

12:12: Justin Rose v Hunter Mahan

12:24: Stephen Gallacher v Phil Mickelson

12:36: Martin Kaymer v Bubba Watson

12:48: Thomas Bjorn v Matt Kuchar

13:00: Sergio Garcia v Jim Furyk

13:12: Ian Poulter v Webb Simpson

13:24: Jamie Donaldson v Keegan Bradley

13:36: Lee Westwood v Jimmy Walker

13:48: Victor Dubuisson v Zach Johnson


Rory v Fowler, that's gonna be a biggie!

Amazing golf out there today. Rose in particular in the morning session was simply sensational. Rory found his form and played on his own against two brilliant yanks until Poulter finally got going near the end. Gmac and Dubusisson just steam rolled their opponents in the foursomes.


Looking at those match ups, you'd swear that SKY & NBC made them. Too much EU talent out late. VD starting last is a joke. He's been the player of the series with Speith


No, Rose has been the player so far. GMac, Stenson, Rory and Rose (6 majors) is a very strong start. Paul McGinley obviously wants to get blue on the board early to quell any US "Brookline" type comeback.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3617
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: Ryder Cup

Postby John23 » September 27th, 2014, 11:12 pm

The Anathemata wrote:
blockhead wrote:Tomorrows singles match ups:
Singles matches (Tee times BST):

11:36: Graeme McDowell v Jordan Spieth

11:48: Henrik Stenson v Patrick Reed

12:00: Rory McIlroy v Rickie Fowler

12:12: Justin Rose v Hunter Mahan

12:24: Stephen Gallacher v Phil Mickelson

12:36: Martin Kaymer v Bubba Watson

12:48: Thomas Bjorn v Matt Kuchar

13:00: Sergio Garcia v Jim Furyk

13:12: Ian Poulter v Webb Simpson

13:24: Jamie Donaldson v Keegan Bradley

13:36: Lee Westwood v Jimmy Walker

13:48: Victor Dubuisson v Zach Johnson


Rory v Fowler, that's gonna be a biggie!

Amazing golf out there today. Rose in particular in the morning session was simply sensational. Rory found his form and played on his own against two brilliant yanks until Poulter finally got going near the end. Gmac and Dubusisson just steam rolled their opponents in the foursomes.


Looking at those match ups, you'd swear that SKY & NBC made them. Too much EU talent out late. VD starting last is a joke. He's been the player of the series with Speith



Agreed on the too much talent out late for Europe part, but about 5 of the Europeans have been poor to middling i.e Gallacher, Kaymer, Bjorn, Garcia & Poulter. Kaymer and Garcia were absolute stink in this afternoon's foursomes. Might be closer than one would like. Just sayin
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
User avatar
John23
Graduate
 
Posts: 680
Joined: January 15th, 2008, 3:05 pm

Re: Ryder Cup

Postby The Anathemata » September 27th, 2014, 11:18 pm

John23 wrote:
The Anathemata wrote:Rory v Fowler, that's gonna be a biggie!

Amazing golf out there today. Rose in particular in the morning session was simply sensational. Rory found his form and played on his own against two brilliant yanks until Poulter finally got going near the end. Gmac and Dubusisson just steam rolled their opponents in the foursomes.


Looking at those match ups, you'd swear that SKY & NBC made them. Too much EU talent out late. VD starting last is a joke. He's been the player of the series with Speith



Agreed on the too much talent out late for Europe part, but about 5 of the Europeans have been poor to middling i.e Gallacher, Kaymer, Bjorn, Garcia & Poulter. Kaymer and Garcia were absolute stink in this afternoon's foursomes. Might be closer than one would like. Just sayin[/quote]

Rose has been fantastic, but given VD and Spieth's are debutantes I'd have them both ahead. VD hasn't even been taken beyond 16 at this point.

Dross like Gallagher should never have been there to begin with - Luke is really missed. Anything to placate the non-country that is Scumland. God, how i'll laugh when those *** edited by mod *** sing 'Flower' in the 3N (Ire, Eng, IT) next year.
Last edited by limecat on September 29th, 2014, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unacceptable language removed
The Anathemata
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 265
Joined: May 5th, 2014, 6:10 pm

Re: Ryder Cup

Postby blockhead » September 27th, 2014, 11:23 pm

The Anathemata wrote:
John23 wrote:
The Anathemata wrote:Rory v Fowler, that's gonna be a biggie!

Amazing golf out there today. Rose in particular in the morning session was simply sensational. Rory found his form and played on his own against two brilliant yanks until Poulter finally got going near the end. Gmac and Dubusisson just steam rolled their opponents in the foursomes.


Looking at those match ups, you'd swear that SKY & NBC made them. Too much EU talent out late. VD starting last is a joke. He's been the player of the series with Speith



Agreed on the too much talent out late for Europe part, but about 5 of the Europeans have been poor to middling i.e Gallacher, Kaymer, Bjorn, Garcia & Poulter. Kaymer and Garcia were absolute stink in this afternoon's foursomes. Might be closer than one would like. Just sayin


Rose has been fantastic, but given VD and Spieth's are debutantes I'd have them both ahead. VD hasn't even been taken beyond 16 at this point.

Dross like Gallagher should never have been there to begin with - Luke is really missed. Anything to placate the non-country that is Scumland. God, how i'll laugh when those spackers sing 'Flower' in the 3N (Ire, Eng, IT) next year.[/quote]

Cheer up man.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3617
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: Ryder Cup

Postby The Anathemata » September 27th, 2014, 11:30 pm

Sorry. I struggle with pseudo-nationalism from non-nationalities.
The Anathemata
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 265
Joined: May 5th, 2014, 6:10 pm

Re: Ryder Cup

Postby John23 » September 27th, 2014, 11:40 pm

I am missing something? I thought we were discussing golf.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
User avatar
John23
Graduate
 
Posts: 680
Joined: January 15th, 2008, 3:05 pm

Re: Ryder Cup

Postby Hornet » September 28th, 2014, 12:12 am

The Anathemata wrote:
John23 wrote:
The Anathemata wrote:Rory v Fowler, that's gonna be a biggie!

Amazing golf out there today. Rose in particular in the morning session was simply sensational. Rory found his form and played on his own against two brilliant yanks until Poulter finally got going near the end. Gmac and Dubusisson just steam rolled their opponents in the foursomes.


Looking at those match ups, you'd swear that SKY & NBC made them. Too much EU talent out late. VD starting last is a joke. He's been the player of the series with Speith



Agreed on the too much talent out late for Europe part, but about 5 of the Europeans have been poor to middling i.e Gallacher, Kaymer, Bjorn, Garcia & Poulter. Kaymer and Garcia were absolute stink in this afternoon's foursomes. Might be closer than one would like. Just sayin


Rose has been fantastic, but given VD and Spieth's are debutantes I'd have them both ahead. VD hasn't even been taken beyond 16 at this point.

Dross like Gallagher should never have been there to begin with - Luke is really missed. Anything to placate the non-country that is Scumland. God, how i'll laugh when those spackers sing 'Flower' in the 3N (Ire, Eng, IT) next year.[/quote]
Less of the racist insults.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Hornet
Mullet
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: January 21st, 2007, 8:48 pm
Location: 32,000 feet over Liverpool

Re: Ryder Cup

Postby The Anathemata » September 28th, 2014, 12:33 am

Hornet wrote:
The Anathemata wrote:
John23 wrote:Looking at those match ups, you'd swear that SKY & NBC made them. Too much EU talent out late. VD starting last is a joke. He's been the player of the series with Speith



Agreed on the too much talent out late for Europe part, but about 5 of the Europeans have been poor to middling i.e Gallacher, Kaymer, Bjorn, Garcia & Poulter. Kaymer and Garcia were absolute stink in this afternoon's foursomes. Might be closer than one would like. Just sayin


Rose has been fantastic, but given VD and Spieth's are debutantes I'd have them both ahead. VD hasn't even been taken beyond 16 at this point.

Dross like Gallagher should never have been there to begin with - Luke is really missed. Anything to placate the non-country that is Scumland. God, how i'll laugh when those spackers sing 'Flower' in the 3N (Ire, Eng, IT) next year.

Less of the racist insults.[/quote]

Whatever Scotland and the Scottish people are, they are not a race. Nothing I have said is or could be construed as racist.

Acolyte of Gilmore? Smoke salmon socialist?
The Anathemata
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 265
Joined: May 5th, 2014, 6:10 pm

Re: Ryder Cup

Postby blockhead » September 28th, 2014, 7:49 pm

16.5 to 11.5 Europe.
Great days golf. Rory again magnificent (7 under for the front 9), Donaldson was just about perfect. If ye didn't see his winning shot then check out the highlights tonight on the beeb. Well done Paul McGinley- super Dub.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3617
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: Ryder Cup

Postby Dave Cahill » September 28th, 2014, 8:00 pm

Mickelson has apparently gone for Watsons jugular in the press conference
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 20141
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest