Ryder Cup

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Project Scorpio
Bookworm

Re: Ryder Cup

Post by Project Scorpio »

I think a lot of the players want Monty on the team, and as much as i can't stand the git he is a legend at every Ryder Cup, "Team Casey"(tw@t) has had a poor season, not a fan of Poulter but he is playing well recently. Lets face it Faldo loves slaggin Monty off and just doesn't like him so I don't think he'll pick him, also who mentioned Nick Dougherty - Please no, although would take him over Kaymer or Wilson to bhe honest, cannot wait for it
silly punt
Enlightened

Post by silly punt »

Interesting view from Harrington....

28/08/2008 - 08:36:38
Padraig Harrington would select Darren Clarke as one of his two captain’s picks if he was selecting Europe’s Ryder Cup team – and he would also seriously consider including Colin Montgomerie.

However, the Dubliner acknowledged that there was no guarantee that captain Nick Faldo would see things the same way when he makes his two wild card selections this Sunday to complete his 12-man line-up to take on the Americans in Kentucky.

“I don’t see how you couldn’t pick Clarke,” Open and US PGA Championship winner Harrington said ahead of the PGA Tour’s Deutsche Bank Championship.

“He’s won twice this year, his form has been very good in recent weeks and he’s played on five Ryder Cups and had four winning teams. And he’s a natural partner to Lee Westwood.

“If you had everybody picking, I think Clarke would be a lock, but obviously Nick could see different reasons. But if I was picking, I’d be picking Darren.

“Darren carries stature into the Ryder Cup, which is very important. When you tee it up on the first tee, you want your opposition standing there and feeling that they’re coming up against somebody who has a bit of stature. Darren has that, and Monty has that too.”

Speaking of Montgomerie, Harrington believes he has a case for selection, notwithstanding his recent poor form.

“The guy has played eight Ryder cups, has never lost a singles match, and he’s due a consideration,” added Harrington. “My opinion is that until he loses a singles match maybe he should be given a chance.”

Harrington acknowledged that Montgomerie needed to play well at the Johnnie Walker Championship at Gleneagles this week to justify a captain’s pick, especially with Paul Casey and Ian Poulter also having solid cases for selection.

“It could all change this week,” added Harrington. “Two months ago, you would have picked Monty. Paul Casey has had a very solid two months, and two months ago Ian Poulter finished second at the Open.

“You’ve got four players playing for two spots. All four have a case for being picked. It’s going to be tough and two guys are going to be unhappy.

“The fact they haven’t played their way in, if they don’t get picked they can’t complain.”

This week Harrington will look to secure a berth over the weekend at the PGA Tour’s Deutsche Bank Championship, which starts on Friday, after missing the cut last year.

The tournament is the second of four tournaments in the tour’s play-off series, with only 120 players eligible compared to 144 at last week’s Barclays tournament.

Only 70 will advance to next week’s BMW Championship, with 30 qualifying for the Tour Championship to be played in four weeks, immediately after the Ryder Cup.

“It wasn’t far away from being good,” he said. “I just hope I don’t make those same mental errors this week, but there’s nothing I’ve got to find in my swing, or anything like that.”
Experience is the name everyone gives to their failures
Colm
Mullet

Post by Colm »

Paul Casey and Ian Poulter officially named as wildcard picks.

Shocking decision ..... Poulter, you're a disgrace.
When Google can't find something, they Norris it.
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

Erm, what's Poulter done wrong?
Colm
Mullet

Post by Colm »

Leinster Zulu wrote:Erm, what's Poulter done wrong?
Erm ... He knew all along he was going to be Faldo's pick yet defended himself to the hilt while he took the money and played in the states and ....missed the cut for the Deutsche Bank's Championship. He's a joke.
Last edited by Colm on August 31st, 2008, 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Or right? He hasn't shown any form all season. Nor was he prepared to fight for his place on the team, he could have qualified by finishing high enough in Scotland. Instead he went to America, where he missed the cut (like Casey).

Very poor decision and not sure it will do much for team morale. Not impressed by Faldo so far.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Colm
Mullet

Post by Colm »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Or right? He hasn't shown any form all season. Nor was he prepared to fight for his place on the team, he could have qualified by finishing high enough in Scotland. Instead he went to America, where he missed the cut (like Casey).

Very poor decision and not sure it will do much for team morale. Not impressed by Faldo so far.
He may be an auld codger but he speaks the truth!
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

Fair enough, I suppose.

Clarke definitely deserved it more.
icebaby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by icebaby »

disappointed :(
"Look what Leinster have done again"
Project Scorpio
Bookworm

Can't believe it - actually Faldo is such a Tw@ I can, Poulter has not had a 67 or better since January, neither Casey or Poulter have won this season, Darren had to be a pick, he's not English so that probably went against him in Faldos eyes :cry: , have a feeling that the Yanks might nick this one, not cause of the picks although it didn't help, just think Azinger will be a better Capt
Colm
Mullet

Post by Colm »

Project Scorpio wrote:Can't believe it - actually Faldo is such a Tw@ I can, Poulter has not had a 67 or better since January, neither Casey or Poulter have won this season, Darren had to be a pick, he's not English so that probably went against him in Faldos eyes :cry: , have a feeling that the Yanks might nick this one, not cause of the picks although it didn't help, just think Azinger will be a better Capt
I've a feeling that Faldo will send out Casey and Poulter in more foursomes and fourballs than Wilson and Hanson which is a joke if you ask me. The 10 players who automatically qualify should be given more gametime as they've earned their right to be on the team.

So much for picking wildcards on form .... Casey and Poulter both missed the cut at the Deutsche Bank Open. At least Clarke has come in to some sort of form recently. I mean, big f*cking deal ... Poulter was in with a shout at Birkdale. You'd expect either a GB or Irish player to be in with a shout seeing as most of the links courses are in GB & Ireland and they know how to deal with the weather etc. Flado is clutching at straws at this stage coming up with excuses for picking Poulter. If he'd just said "I picked him becase I like him, I've known him all his life and I believe he can do it" rather than the waffle he came out with yesterday.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

The whole thing made me very quesy yesterday, I must admit. Faldo is such an insincere tosspot.

Poulter knew his old mate Nick would pick him regardless, so that's why he buggered off to the states instead of doing his best to qualify for the team.

I think this will be terrible for morale in the team, with the players knowing now that all players are equal but some are more "equal" than others (particularly if they're English).
jrc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by jrc »

Disgraceful picks from a disgraceful and nasty person, Faldo. I liked the reporter who asked at the press conference, "Nick, you said you'd pick on form, but Casey and Poulter haven't won anything this year and neither has had a 67 since January, how can you pick them ahead of Darren Clarke?" d!%khead's answer was something along the lines of "Well, I know Ian and I get on with him well...... I make the decisions here and I have to go with my gut feeling".

Poulter is a disgrace too, electing to go chasing the dollars in the States instead of actually qualifying for the team, and eliminating someone like Wilson.

I've always known that Faldo was a nasty, egotistical, selfish, womanising, horrible man, but now it's been proven beyond doubt.
Project Scorpio
Bookworm

I've a feeling that Faldo will send out Casey and Poulter in more foursomes and fourballs than Wilson and Hanson which is a joke if you ask me. The 10 players who automatically qualify should be given more gametime as they've earned their right to be on the team.

So much for picking wildcards on form .... Casey and Poulter both missed the cut at the Deutsche Bank Open. At least Clarke has come in to some sort of form recently. I mean, big f*cking deal ... Poulter was in with a shout at Birkdale. You'd expect either a GB or Irish player to be in with a shout seeing as most of the links courses are in GB & Ireland and they know how to deal with the weather etc. Flado is clutching at straws at this stage coming up with excuses for picking Poulter. If he'd just said "I picked him becase I like him, I've known him all his life and I believe he can do it" rather than the waffle he came out with yesterday.[/quote]

Totally agree, wilson and hansen will not see a ball till the singles, thought in the interview after Faldo announced his picks and the reporters were tearing into him and Jose Maria was asked about the picks he was very much getting the point across that Nick is the captain and ultimately he picks the team - translates to "Nick picked fancy pants not me"
D'Arse
Mullet

Post by D'Arse »

Project Scorpio wrote: Totally agree, wilson and hansen will not see a ball till the singles, thought in the interview after Faldo announced his picks and the reporters were tearing into him and Jose Maria was asked about the picks he was very much getting the point across that Nick is the captain and ultimately he picks the team - translates to "Nick picked fancy pants not me"
Jaysus I hope Poulter isn't supplying the team clothes
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Colm
Mullet

Post by Colm »

Project Scorpio wrote:
colm wrote:I've a feeling that Faldo will send out Casey and Poulter in more foursomes and fourballs than Wilson and Hanson which is a joke if you ask me. The 10 players who automatically qualify should be given more gametime as they've earned their right to be on the team.

So much for picking wildcards on form .... Casey and Poulter both missed the cut at the Deutsche Bank Open. At least Clarke has come in to some sort of form recently. I mean, big f*cking deal ... Poulter was in with a shout at Birkdale. You'd expect either a GB or Irish player to be in with a shout seeing as most of the links courses are in GB & Ireland and they know how to deal with the weather etc. Flado is clutching at straws at this stage coming up with excuses for picking Poulter. If he'd just said "I picked him becase I like him, I've known him all his life and I believe he can do it" rather than the waffle he came out with yesterday.
Totally agree, wilson and hansen will not see a ball till the singles, thought in the interview after Faldo announced his picks and the reporters were tearing into him and Jose Maria was asked about the picks he was very much getting the point across that Nick is the captain and ultimately he picks the team - translates to "Nick picked fancy pants not me"
It's a shame really as Hanson and Wilson are decent players and as I've said before, deserve their chance more than Casey and the other muppet.

Poulter slagged off a senior member of the European Tour (Monty) via the press even though he knew he was chosen as a wildcard all along. That type of behaviour is totally unacceptable. I sure hope some of the European Ryder Cup team members have a quiet word with Poulter and remind him that he's only there becase of his brown nosing. I can safely say that many of the other members of the team won't have been impressed with Poulter's behaviour.
silly punt
Enlightened

Post by silly punt »

No Rocco Mediate, a bit of a suprise.

Azinger picked, Stricker, Chad Campbell, Mahan & Holmes :roll:

This has to be the worst ever US Ryder Cup Team
Experience is the name everyone gives to their failures
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

silly punt wrote:No Rocco Mediate, a bit of a suprise.

Azinger picked, Stricker, Chad Campbell, Mahan & Holmes :roll:

This has to be the worst ever US Ryder Cup Team
Mahan? The gimp who said they were "slaves" during Ryder Cup week?

Rest are rather typicial bland, colourless American pros.

Shame Rocco ain't there, might have brought a bit of character to the Yanks.
Project Scorpio
Bookworm

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/mhqlojsnidcw/

ye, agree, can't believe he picked Chad Campbell over rocco mediate, CC hasn't played well for a couple of years, sean ohair is a great player, also hunter mahan after all his comments - terrible team - will probably be the one time they gel and whoop us
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Project Scorpio wrote:http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/mhqlojsnidcw/

ye, agree, can't believe he picked Chad Campbell over rocco mediate, CC hasn't played well for a couple of years, sean ohair is a great player, also hunter mahan after all his comments - terrible team - will probably be the one time they gel and whoop us
Yep, can't help but think Faldo will be another Mark James :(
A proud Winsome Fluter