Ryder Cup

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Ryder Cup

Post by blockhead »

Dave Cahill wrote:Mickelson has apparently gone for Watsons jugular in the press conference
That's a pity. Tom Watson is a golf legend and one of the most loved men in world golf.
I am assuming you were not referring to Bubba.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

blockhead wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Mickelson has apparently gone for Watsons jugular in the press conference
That's a pity. Tom Watson is a golf legend and one of the most loved men in world golf.
I am assuming you were not referring to Bubba.
Nope, you are correct sir, its Tom
I have Bumbleflex
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Mickleson needs to chill out Europe won, because we had the best players and we also had home advantage.

Nothing Watson or anyone could have done to change that, the Yank are simply not good enough at the moment
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Not sure to be honest. I can understand Mickleson's frustration. Hes been on a lot of losing Ryder cup teams and this time I think they had a team that was strong enough to win in Europe.

If you look at this time round, the only reason they lost was because they didnt play foursomes. In all other aspects they were close to being a match for Europe. Adding to that where some of McGinley's calls were bang on (especially for Foursome pairings) some of Watson's decisions were pretty odd. Regardless of how much you like Watson, hes made some pretty poor calls and hes frustrated quite a few of his players with his approach.

However, voicing your opinion is one thing, doing it literally as the opposition are spraying champagne all over themselves is too much for me. Watson and Michelson had obviously had this argument already behind closed doors. He should have waited a few weeks before voicing it to the press.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

It wasn't classy from Mickleson, esp as Watson is a renowned gentleman. But frankly, it's refreshing to see a yank who appears to give a sh!t about the Ryder Cup enough to launch into a tirade. Watson obviously didn't cover himself in glory as a captain, but the top 3 US qualifiers - Jim Furyk, Ricky Fowler and Bubba Watson didn't show up at all. Hard to win when the season's best 3 players give you 2.5 points combined, out of a possible 12.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Have to say I was thinking the worst of Mickleson for the attack but I reading this article I have softened my position.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/golf/29404756

''But the eight-time major winner, who was the last American skipper to win in Europe in 1993, said he had not read Azinger's book on Ryder Cup strategy.''

That is mad to me - the last guy to win the competion you are in has a book and you dont read it. My assumption is Watson travels a lot so reading a 220 page book would not be too big a deal.

Also Watson has not been at a Ryder Cup in 21 years - surely it has changed hugely in that time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/r ... pared.html

''Amazingly, Watson had not even attended a Ryder Cup since he led the American team in the 1993 matches at The Belfry. In other words, he had no first-hand experience of the tournament it has become over the past 21 years.''

Mickleson seems to be really upset and maybe has something to be upset about.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

IanD wrote:Have to say I was thinking the worst of Mickleson for the attack but I reading this article I have softened my position.

''But the eight-time major winner, who was the last American skipper to win in Europe in 1993, said he had not read Azinger's book on Ryder Cup strategy.''

That is mad to me - the last guy to win the competion you are in has a book and you dont read it. My assumption is Watson travels a lot so reading a 220 page book would not be too big a deal.

Also Watson has not been at a Ryder Cup in 21 years - surely it has changed hugely in that time.

''Amazingly, Watson had not even attended a Ryder Cup since he led the American team in the 1993 matches at The Belfry. In other words, he had no first-hand experience of the tournament it has become over the past 21 years.''

I think there's a fair bit of sympathy for his viewpoint, even from this side of the Atlantic....just that his timing was completely wrong.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

jezzer wrote:It wasn't classy from Mickleson, esp as Watson is a renowned gentleman. But frankly, it's refreshing to see a yank who appears to give a sh!t about the Ryder Cup enough to launch into a tirade. Watson obviously didn't cover himself in glory as a captain, but the top 3 US qualifiers - Jim Furyk, Ricky Fowler and Bubba Watson didn't show up at all. Hard to win when the season's best 3 players give you 2.5 points combined, out of a possible 12.
It's funny, that was always my opinion too. But there's a lot of comment coming out now that he's actually a bit of a pr!*k and is widely disliked on the tour stateside.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

I watched almost all of the Ryder Cup and my impression was that the yanks played very, very well but the Europeans were simply outstanding. Plus Europe have the better players, 1,3,5,6, in the world rankings for eg. Rose was inspired. Rory blew Fowler away with perfect golf on the front 9. GMac is a master at Match play and reeled his opponent in brilliantly. Kaymer, Stenson, Donaldson, Dubuisson had great moments too. The standard out there was mind boggling. In one of the fourballs the Americans were 9 under after 16 holes but still lost. The general pattern for the 3 days was for the US to dominate early only for the Europeans to storm back and increase the lead. It was great stuff.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

nelly the elephant wrote:
IanD wrote:Have to say I was thinking the worst of Mickleson for the attack but I reading this article I have softened my position.

I think there's a fair bit of sympathy for his viewpoint, even from this side of the Atlantic....just that his timing was completely wrong.
That was what I meant to say - I just took longer.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Donny B. wrote:
jezzer wrote:It wasn't classy from Mickleson, esp as Watson is a renowned gentleman. But frankly, it's refreshing to see a yank who appears to give a sh!t about the Ryder Cup enough to launch into a tirade. Watson obviously didn't cover himself in glory as a captain, but the top 3 US qualifiers - Jim Furyk, Ricky Fowler and Bubba Watson didn't show up at all. Hard to win when the season's best 3 players give you 2.5 points combined, out of a possible 12.
It's funny, that was always my opinion too. But there's a lot of comment coming out now that he's actually a bit of a pr!*k and is widely disliked on the tour stateside.
Yeah, all the stuff coming out about how he treated the guys in the US team kinda makes me wonder if we've been served up the BBC dewy-eyed, Peter Alliss love-in version of ol' Tommy boy.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

jezzer wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
Yeah, all the stuff coming out about how he treated the guys in the US team kinda makes me wonder if we've been served up the BBC dewy-eyed, Peter Alliss love-in version of ol' Tommy boy.
The stuff in here makes him sound like a complete jerk

http://espn.go.com/golf/rydercup14/stor ... -mickelson
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/golf/29736966

Ian Poulter: Tom Watson's Ryder Cup decisions were 'astonishing'

England's Ian Poulter has described Tom Watson's captaincy of the United States team at the Ryder Cup as "astonishing".
Watson was criticised for some of his selections at last month's Gleneagles event as Europe won 16½-11½ to retain the trophy.
His management style was publicly queried by US player Phil Mickelson.
"Tom Watson's decision-making completely baffles me," Poulter writes in his new book. "It gave us a real boost. I find it utterly bizarre."
Poulter identifies Watson's failure to play Mickelson and regular partner Keegan Bradley in either of the Saturday sessions as a particularly strange decision.......

Seems Mickelson was not the only one to question Watson.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

IanD wrote:http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/golf/29736966

England's Ian Poulter has described Tom Watson's captaincy of the United States team at the Ryder Cup as "astonishing".
Watson was criticised for some of his selections at last month's Gleneagles event as Europe won 16½-11½ to retain the trophy.
"Tom Watson's decision-making completely baffles me," Poulter writes in his new book. "BIt gave us a real boost. I find it utterly bizarre."
Poulter identifies Watson's failure to play Mickelson and regular partner Keegan Bradley in either of the Saturday sessions as a particularly strange decision.......

Or that Ian Poulter is looking for cheap publicity for his book.
A proud Winsome Fluter
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Phil Mickelson is arguably the 2nd best golfer of the last 20 years, as an individual. His Ryder Cup record however is far from stellar. 19 wins & 19 losses (throw in a few halves too). His application to the tournament too is questionable, trying out a new driver at one cup, arriving in his own jet rather than with the team at another (they all have their own jets but left them at home) at this one. Refusing to play with Tiger at another, it goes on and on.
The only reason Phil did what he did at the press conference was because he was dropped on the Saturday. He had the hump.
He also thinks Irish women are ugly.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
IanD wrote:http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/golf/29736966

"Tom Watson's decision-making completely baffles me," Poulter writes in his new book. "BIt gave us a real boost. I find it utterly bizarre."

Or that Ian Poulter is looking for cheap publicity for his book.

Could be a publicity stunt or he could have really hit a nerve. President of the PGA of America sacked for calling Poulter "a little girl".

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/golf/29771575

Former PGA boss Ted Bishop apologies for Ian Poulter tweet

''Bishop had responded to Poulter's criticism of the Ryder Cup captaincy of Sir Nick Faldo and Tom Watson in the Englishman's new book 'No Limits'.''