for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Re: UFC - Any thoughts?

Post by Isaac4leinster »

RoboProp wrote:
Isaac4leinster wrote:
RoboProp wrote:I seriously suggest anybody interested in UFC watch the PPV on Setanta tonight. The main event of George "Rush" St Pierre Vs The Phenom BJ Penn should be a cracker. GSP is just a physical freak of nature and BJ Penn has some amazing Brazilian ju-jitsu and for a small guy he packs a wallop in his punch too. Too close for me to call and I am a fan of both fighters.
:cry:
no longer have setanta or sky for that matter
Just don't look at the results online and Youtube them. The fights are generally up the next day, Monday at the latest. If you want to get the DVDs I reckon http://www.fightdvd.co.uk is your best bet. Much cheaper than they are in the shops and service is pretty prompt too. I have picked up a few from them and would recommend. My UFC DVD collection is getting out of hand!
I was a big fan for a while. UFC are generally quite quick at stamping youtube vids are they not. If you persist long enough you can generally get them.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

You should be ok. If you get there within the next day or two after the fight. I'm gonna make a prediction BJ Penn in the second. Once I said that there is no way it will happen.
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

RoboProp wrote:You should be ok. If you get there within the next day or two after the fight. I'm gonna make a prediction BJ Penn in the second. Once I said that there is no way it will happen.
I'm a GSP fan and hope to hell he wins it. Benn looked better at lightweight, fair play to him coming to fight. (They are fighting at welter are they not?) Last fight I saw live was when Lesnar beat up Herring, saw the Lesnar couture fight on youtube then. I'm a bit out of the loop at moment
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Isaac4leinster wrote:
RoboProp wrote:You should be ok. If you get there within the next day or two after the fight. I'm gonna make a prediction BJ Penn in the second. Once I said that there is no way it will happen.
I'm a GSP fan and hope to hell he wins it. Benn looked better at lightweight, fair play to him coming to fight. (They are fighting at welter are they not?) Last fight I saw live was when Lesnar beat up Herring, saw the Lesnar couture fight on youtube then. I'm a bit out of the loop at moment
I'm a fan of both Penn and GSP. Penn tends to gas if it goes on too long but he has been working on his conditioning lately. You should Youtube the Rich Franklin training video. It is insane and definitely not one for the fitness novice! It p1s$es on the 300 training routine.

Mir and Lesnar is next for the heavyweights to unify the belt. I'm torn there again. Lesnar lost the first time as he was a bit overzealous, Mir has come along recently too he was the first to knock out Noguiera. Their rematch should be tremendous.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

PENN V GSP Result...
Show Spoiler:
GSP stopped Penn at the end of the fourth. Well, technically BJ's corner didn't let him go out for the fifth
Project Scorpio
Bookworm

Post by Project Scorpio »

Crackin fight and decent fight night all round, I like both fighters but prefer the winner and felt he was always going to win - easy to say after the fact I know, glad Guida beat Nate Diaz as he is a little tw@, that young fella who fought Stephan Bonner, I think his name was Jon Jones was amazing - tired quite quickly but watch this space. Lyoto Machida is a savage fighter, looking forward to seeing him fight Rashad Evans - it's about time someone knocked him TFO. Robo did you go to UFC 93 in the O2 - while not a great fight night with regards the talent on show it was an amazing atmosphere, can't wait till they come back to Dublin.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Project Scorpio wrote:Crackin fight and decent fight night all round, I like both fighters but prefer the winner and felt he was always going to win - easy to say after the fact I know, glad Guida beat Nate Diaz as he is a little tw@, that young fella who fought Stephan Bonner, I think his name was Jon Jones was amazing - tired quite quickly but watch this space. Lyoto Machida is a savage fighter, looking forward to seeing him fight Rashad Evans - it's about time someone knocked him TFO. Robo did you go to UFC 93 in the O2 - while not a great fight night with regards the talent on show it was an amazing atmosphere, can't wait till they come back to Dublin.
Didn't get to go as I was in Twickenham for the Wasps game. There was a loud bellow in my office when my mate pointed out to me that there were both on the same day. I've been dying to see it live as I've been a fan for sometime but none of my mates are into it so they won't do the UK and Belfast trips.
Project Scorpio
Bookworm

RoboProp wrote:
Project Scorpio wrote:Crackin fight and decent fight night all round, I like both fighters but prefer the winner and felt he was always going to win - easy to say after the fact I know, glad Guida beat Nate Diaz as he is a little tw@, that young fella who fought Stephan Bonner, I think his name was Jon Jones was amazing - tired quite quickly but watch this space. Lyoto Machida is a savage fighter, looking forward to seeing him fight Rashad Evans - it's about time someone knocked him TFO. Robo did you go to UFC 93 in the O2 - while not a great fight night with regards the talent on show it was an amazing atmosphere, can't wait till they come back to Dublin.
Didn't get to go as I was in Twickenham for the Wasps game. There was a loud bellow in my office when my mate pointed out to me that there were both on the same day. I've been dying to see it live as I've been a fan for sometime but none of my mates are into it so they won't do the UK and Belfast trips.

Not to worry, they are talking of doing a yearly show on Paddy's Day in Dublins O2 - great venue by the way, hopefully next time they have some big names - no disrespect to Hendo or Franklin. I've managed to get a few mates into it and we are going to head to Vegas for a show, would love to see Lesnar or Anderson Silva or GSP, one of the big fellas anyway... 8)
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

UFC 100 is shaping up to be one helluva card. I can't wait. Mir V Lesnar 2. GSP (prob my fave fighter) V Thiago Alves. Should be a cracker.
Project Scorpio
Bookworm

RoboProp wrote:UFC 100 is shaping up to be one helluva card. I can't wait. Mir V Lesnar 2. GSP (prob my fave fighter) V Thiago Alves. Should be a cracker.
Agree, can't wait, Alves will be GSP's toughest test as he's a monster - i think he walks around at like 210lbs but cuts to 170!!! The Mir Lesnar fight will be huge too, we'll see if Lesnar has learned how to avoid leglocks since last time they fought - some banter between the two from past couple of days:

Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir are starting the build for their fight on 7/11. Lesnar was on Inside MMA questioning whether
Mir was really hurt, or was just looking for an excuse to delay the fight. Mir shot back that his knee is recovering fine, and
that he actually could do the fight on 5/23. Of course, that's easy to say since he's not going to have to. Mir has
compared getting hit by Lesnar to being hit by his sister, saying that the 190 and 210 pound guys in his gym hit harder
(considering Lesnar knocked Mir down with an off balanced jab, that's clearly hype) and Lesnar came back saying Mir
has a make-believe title belt that he won from Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. Lesnar said Mir capitalized on a rookie mistake
in their first fight. "I'm a little disappointed that it got pushed back. In my mind, is Frank really hurt, or is he just scared? think he understands the position I had him in, in our first fight, and I don't think it's going to change much in the second one, with a different outcome for sure,"• he said on Inside MMA on 4/3. Mir, in Chicago the next day, said, "The way my leg feels now, in hindsight, I could have made 5/23. In fact, I'm on schedule to be in top shape at that time."• He also said,"Most of my partners who are 190 to 210 actually hit harder (than Lesnar)."• Regarding getting hit by Lesnar, he said it was like, "Having your baby sister on your back and all over you, and you're just saying, 'Ge off me'."• Mir also must have Dana White happy when he was asked if this unification match would determine the top heavyweight, and he said it
wouldn't, because Fedor is the top heavyweight.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

What's scary about Lesnar is that he has to cut weight down to 265lbs. When fight day arrives and he rehydrates and eats he's walking around at around 285lbs of muscle. Look at his UFC training. Pretty intense for a big guy. He's a genetic freak of nature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwwnpo3VQZU
Dublinareathrasher
Beginner

Post by Dublinareathrasher »

97 is coming up on sat and Setanta is gone from my dodgy box, any of you guys know any good places for streaming??? Cheers
Project Scorpio
Bookworm

Dublinareathrasher wrote:97 is coming up on sat and Setanta is gone from my dodgy box, any of you guys know any good places for streaming??? Cheers

You should be able to see the fights on http://www.MMAlinker.com on Sunday, great site for all things mma including most fighters past fights
Project Scorpio
Bookworm

Hey RoboP, did you catch UFC 98....it was on Saturday so it would have had to have been a replay as i have no doubt you were somewhere in Edinburgh probably quite pished at 3am on Sunday same as me :lol:
i downloaded it off mininova...well worth it as.....hmmmmm I'm not sure what to say lest I give anything away if you haven't seen it, basically it's well worth a watch, all i'll say about the main event is :shock: awesome.
Hank Scorpio: Homer, on your way out, if you want to kill somebody, it would help me a lot.
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

Project Scorpio wrote:Hey RoboP, did you catch UFC 98....it was on Saturday so it would have had to have been a replay as i have no doubt you were somewhere in Edinburgh probably quite pished at 3am on Sunday same as me :lol:
i downloaded it off mininova...well worth it as.....hmmmmm I'm not sure what to say lest I give anything away if you haven't seen it, basically it's well worth a watch, all i'll say about the main event is :shock: awesome.
my brother taped it for me, heard it was savage. No spoilers please!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Isaac4leinster wrote:
Project Scorpio wrote:Hey RoboP, did you catch UFC 98....it was on Saturday so it would have had to have been a replay as i have no doubt you were somewhere in Edinburgh probably quite pished at 3am on Sunday same as me :lol:
my brother taped it for me, heard it was savage. No spoilers please!
I too was in Embra so missed it. I will have a look on site now. Thanks for that. I've bought the UFC game and I should be old enough to know better but I'm really loving it. Knocking mofos out Superman punch! :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
Project Scorpio
Bookworm

I too was in Embra so missed it. I will have a look on site now. Thanks for that. I've bought the UFC game and I should be old enough to know better but I'm really loving it. Knocking mofos out Superman punch! :happy clapper: :happy clapper:[/quote]

I too am old enough to know better but am getting that game today, it's supposed to be great
Hank Scorpio: Homer, on your way out, if you want to kill somebody, it would help me a lot.
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

Saw 98 last night, some really class fights. Evan and Machida was very good I thought. Was thinking of getting game too, despite that cnut Rogan recommending it!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Watched the main event of 98 this morning. Don't want to go too much into in case Isaac still hasn't seen it yet. I see Dan Hardy has been playing some mind games with Marcus Davis before UFC 99. I have to say I like Davis, ever since his fight against Paul Taylor at UFC 75. He should have lost that fight but won through sheer strength of will and guts. You got to admire that.
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

RoboProp wrote:Watched the main event of 98 this morning. Don't want to go too much into in case Isaac still hasn't seen it yet. I see Dan Hardy has been playing some mind games with Marcus Davis before UFC 99. I have to say I like Davis, ever since his fight against Paul Taylor at UFC 75. He should have lost that fight but won through sheer strength of will and guts. You got to admire that.
Marcus Davis always struck me a little limited and he's relatively old, though he, as you say, got a big heart. Also watching the Ulitmate Figther (TUF), UK versus US. Is it wrong to support the UK, somehow seems the natural choice. Big fan of Bisping.