UFC - Any thoughts?

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Isaac4leinster
Mullet

UFC - Any thoughts?

Post by Isaac4leinster »

What does any think of it and does anyone know is the one in the O2 in January completely sold out? Not touting for tickets, just wondering does anyone know. Never got round to getting a ticket, I went to one in Belfast and although there were no standout fights it was entertaining in and of itself. Does anyone follow it? Interesting to see ex Pro-wrestler Brock Lesnar as a heavyweight. There was an article in the IT on it a few weeks back. Its been hoovering up a lot of fans that have become disenfranchised with boxing.
All the way back logue
Graduate

Re: UFC - Any thoughts?

Post by All the way back logue »

Yeah, must say im a bit of a fan. Can be hard to follow Setanta's coverage because they seem to have no continuity of fights. I saw the lineup for Dublin and wouldnt recognise many names bar Rich Franklin who generally is good viewing. I wont be going but might have been tempted if some of the leading names were appearing.

Not sure if you saw the Rashad Evans (UFC reality winner) fight v Chuck Liddell - unbelievable stuff - keep an eye out for it.
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

All the way back logue wrote:Yeah, must say im a bit of a fan. Can be hard to follow Setanta's coverage because they seem to have no continuity of fights. I saw the lineup for Dublin and wouldnt recognise many names bar Rich Franklin who generally is good viewing. I wont be going but might have been tempted if some of the leading names were appearing.

Not sure if you saw the Rashad Evans (UFC reality winner) fight v Chuck Liddell - unbelievable stuff - keep an eye out for it.
Evans knock out was huge wasn't it. The problem with the UFC is that if you miss it for a few months, as I have, when you come back that a host new fighters and you get out of the loop very quick. There's a big turnover of fighters. Was just looking at the card for Dublin and your're right, its not very impressive.

I genuinely think that it will eclipse boxing in about 10 to 15 years. The speed at which is expanding is astonishing.
NORFC
Beginner

Post by NORFC »

Hubby is a bit of a fan, I was thinking of getting him tickets but when he heard the price of the good seats he didn't want me to spend that much!

As far as I know its not sold out yet!
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Can't see the appeal, seems like pikey boxing with extra allowances.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
salad
Learner

Post by salad »

K1 tournaments are far superior. Far more entertaining and better athletes. Bob Sapp V Ray Sefo was awesome.
Last edited by salad on December 19th, 2008, 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

In fairness to the alds they know how to train. Saw clips on youtube of St Pierre training. :shock:
Tough work.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

tones wrote:Can't see the appeal, seems like pikey boxing with extra allowances.
Must admit I found it a bit bizarre. Was nothing on one Sunday and out of sheer boredom tried to watch a fight on Setanta. One guy was down on his back and the other guy was trying to hit him when he was down. So the guy on his back was in the crab position kicking back at the other guy and this went on for bloody ages! In fact the guy on the ground was being praised by the commentators for this strategy!!! Weird stuff!
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

tones wrote:Can't see the appeal, seems like pikey boxing with extra allowances.
That is the appeal! :lol:
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

salad wrote:K1 tournaments are far superior. Far more entertaining and better athletes. Bob Sapp V Ray Sefo was awesome.
Steamtrain, K1 is a freak show, very few decent fights. It's like a real life version of Street Fighter 2
Project Scorpio
Bookworm

Post by Project Scorpio »

Isaac4leinster wrote:What does any think of it and does anyone know is the one in the O2 in January completely sold out? Not touting for tickets, just wondering does anyone know. Never got round to getting a ticket, I went to one in Belfast and although there were no standout fights it was entertaining in and of itself. Does anyone follow it? Interesting to see ex Pro-wrestler Brock Lesnar as a heavyweight. There was an article in the IT on it a few weeks back. Its been hoovering up a lot of fans that have become disenfranchised with boxing.

Ye big fan, have my tickets for O2 on Jan 17th. A couple of great fights included - Rich Franklin V Dan Henderson - both great fighters, think Hendo will win though, he's prob the best 185 pounder behind Anderson "The Spider" Silva(arguably best P4P fighter in the world and has beaten both franklin and hendo). The other big fight is Mauricio "Shogun" Rua V Mark "The Hammer" Coleman - Shogun is supposed to be an amazing fighter - have only seen one of his fights - his first and only fight in the UFC v Forrest Griffin which he lost, but it's supposed to take a few fights to get used to the size of the Octagon. This fight is a rematch of a PRIDE(asian UFC - bought by UFC corp) which Coleman won by elbow dislocation :shock: as per wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauricio_Rua. This weekend has the best line up going though. Forrest Griffin V Rashad Evans for Light Heavyweight Title(205 pounds), Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira V Frank Mir for Interim Heavyweight Title(winner will fight Brock Lesnar for full Title), and last but deffo not least is Quentin "Rampage" Jackson V Wanderlei "The Axe Murderer" Silva(LHW - 205pounds), this is another PRIDE rematch and the winner will get a title shot against winner of Griffin V Evans.

I understand why people don't like the ground game as I felt the same way when i started watching it about 10 years ago but after watching a lot of it and understanding what they are actually doing re BJJ(Brazilian Ju Jitsu) I now love the ground game with it's submissions and whatnot. I also agree that it is rapidly overtaking boxing, partly down to the volume of titles in boxing i feel. Well thats my 2 cents
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Isaac4leinster wrote:
salad wrote:K1 tournaments are far superior. Far more entertaining and better athletes. Bob Sapp V Ray Sefo was awesome.
Steamtrain, K1 is a freak show, very few decent fights. It's like a real life version of Street Fighter 2

is K1 the japanese one that a few UFC lads went over for and got their asses handed to them with a side of wasabi? Cos if so im afeared you are talking shite.
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
salad
Learner

Post by salad »

Isaac4leinster wrote:
Very true. That's why I prefer it. I'm pretty sure they are the better athletes or fighters regardless of code.
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

salad wrote:
Isaac4leinster wrote:
Very true. That's why I prefer it. I'm pretty sure they are the better athletes or fighters regardless of code.
Thats the thing though, a lot those are in it just because they are excessively large, like Bobb Sapp, 150kg, or that sumo wrestler who weighed 200kg, or that 7'4 korean fighter, many of them are just there cause Japanese have this strange obsession with freak fights. Not to mention Butterbean, don't get me wrong, some great fighters but it after a round or two a lot of them gas out. Bonjeski is good
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

tate wrote:
Isaac4leinster wrote:

is K1 the japanese one that a few UFC lads went over for and got their asses handed to them with a side of wasabi? Cos if so im afeared you are talking shite.
I used to watch K1 on eurosport a few years age (about 5years ago :shock: ) there was some good fighters in it then.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

tate wrote:
Isaac4leinster wrote:

Your thinking of pride. A few guys have fought in KI and UFC, there are SOME very good athletes in K1 but there are huge amount of poor but freakish fighters. I haven't followed K1 in a good while but guys who lose repeatedly ala Bob Sapp would get hammered in UFC and Pride. Vernon White was a low grade UFC who got whopped in K1 and I think Kimo got knocked out by Sapp but he was past it by then.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

you're spot on, i was indeed thinking of Pride. They had that huge russian who would just knee kick to the head anyone who came near him. Terrifying man to watch.
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

I seriously suggest anybody interested in UFC watch the PPV on Setanta tonight. The main event of George "Rush" St Pierre Vs The Phenom BJ Penn should be a cracker. GSP is just a physical freak of nature and BJ Penn has some amazing Brazilian ju-jitsu and for a small guy he packs a wallop in his punch too. Too close for me to call and I am a fan of both fighters.
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

RoboProp wrote:I seriously suggest anybody interested in UFC watch the PPV on Setanta tonight. The main event of George "Rush" St Pierre Vs The Phenom BJ Penn should be a cracker. GSP is just a physical freak of nature and BJ Penn has some amazing Brazilian ju-jitsu and for a small guy he packs a wallop in his punch too. Too close for me to call and I am a fan of both fighters.
:cry:
no longer have setanta or sky for that matter
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Isaac4leinster wrote:
RoboProp wrote:I seriously suggest anybody interested in UFC watch the PPV on Setanta tonight. The main event of George "Rush" St Pierre Vs The Phenom BJ Penn should be a cracker. GSP is just a physical freak of nature and BJ Penn has some amazing Brazilian ju-jitsu and for a small guy he packs a wallop in his punch too. Too close for me to call and I am a fan of both fighters.
:cry:
no longer have setanta or sky for that matter
Just don't look at the results online and Youtube them. The fights are generally up the next day, Monday at the latest. If you want to get the DVDs I reckon http://www.fightdvd.co.uk is your best bet. Much cheaper than they are in the shops and service is pretty prompt too. I have picked up a few from them and would recommend. My UFC DVD collection is getting out of hand!