Cricket 2009

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Re: Cricket 2009

Post by thecoolfreak »

Slipper1 wrote:OK - in order to keep up to speed with the game today, and support Ireland - what are we playing? My limited knowledge will allow me to generally understand what is going on, but what is a "one day International"; other than the obvious, is it 50 overs, 20 overs, catch it with one hand and you're all out, what?
50 overs. Now Trott gone, England 6 for 2
bgmusic
Knowledgeable

Post by bgmusic »

England 203/9 (50 overs) RSP Umpires inspection @1640.
bgmusic
Knowledgeable

Post by bgmusic »

Play will restart @1736,its now a D/L target of 116 off 20 overs.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Is it being shown on TV/online anywhere?
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
bgmusic
Knowledgeable

Post by bgmusic »

Ireland 28/2 off 4 overs (OBrien and Porterfield out) Not on TV,nobody wanted to show it,even Sky who have the rights.
bgmusic
Knowledgeable

Post by bgmusic »

Ireland 59/2 off 8 overs.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

We really just need to calm the f*** down here and realise that this game is ours if we keep our better batsmen at the crease. One of Kevin O'Brien's quick-fire 30s would be greatly appreciated nonetheless.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

There's only one word for what just happened there... pathetic.

Sounds like the bulk of the later wickets arose through pure hotheadedness and stupidity. The team should be ashamed of themselves for squandering such a glorious opportunity to claim a top class scalp.
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

tackle-bag wrote:There's only one word for what just happened there... pathetic.

Sounds like the bulk of the later wickets arose through pure hotheadedness and stupidity. The team should be ashamed of themselves for squandering such a glorious opportunity to claim a top class scalp.
Yeh what a pack of wasters... A group of part time cricketers could only get within 2 runs of beating one of the best teams in the world. f%~king morons.

:roll:
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

From Cricket Europe Ireland. Morgan on as a sub effectively wins the game for england!
Eoin Morgan, the Irishman in the England squad, denied Ireland a famous victory over the Ashes winners in a dramatic finale at Stormont.

Morgan was left out of the starting XI but found himself fielding at long-on in the last over as a substitute for Graham Swann. With Ireland needing nine to win from two balls, Trent Johnston hit the ball beautifully to the boundary. It would have gone for six but for Morgan, at full stretch, palming the ball back into play.

Johnston, on his 100th appearance for Ireland, duly hit the last ball of the match for four but it was too late and England had sneaked home by three runs. However, after the start which Ireland had enjoyed, it not only should have been a third win over a Full member but it should have been won at a canter.

After restricting England to 203 for nine in 50 overs, a three-hour delay reduced the Ireland innings to the minimum 20 overs with a victory target score of 116. In the ninth over, the home side were 64 for two with Paul Stirling, the day before he leaves for Canada with the Ireland Under 19s, in irresistible form and Andre Botha scoring comfortably at a run-a-ball.

But first Botha was leg before to Ashes hero Swann and, six balls later, Stirling, who had hit 30 from just 26 balls with four fours and a six, gave a simple return catch to the leg spinner Adil Rashid.

Still there should have been no panic with only 50 wanted from 64 balls and six wickets left. But Kevin O’Brien and John Mooney could not get the leg spinner away and were bogged down by England captain Paul Collingwood’s accuracy. They used up five overs in making 16 runs and when Andrew White was run out, ball watching, by wicket-keeper Matt Prior after missing an attempted reverse sweep, Ireland’s slide was uncontrollable.

Regan West was caught in the deep and when Alex Cusack was bowled by Owais Shah, 15 balls out, Ireland had lost five wickets for 12 runs.

On this day of all days, no-one could rule out an Irish victory with Johnston still at the wicket. But it was not to be. At the start of the day he had bowled superbly to take out England’s top three and then ended Luke Wright’s whirlwind innings of 36 from 26 balls to finish with four for 26.

Kevin O’Brien, opening the bowling in place of the injured Boyd Rankin, gave Johnston such good support that England scored just 20 runs in the first 10 overs and two of the Ashes winning squad, Ravi Bopara and Jonathan Trott, the century maker in the decisive Oval Test, were back in the pavilion for ducks.

Joe Denly, on his first appearance for England, stood firm and in a sensible innings of 111 balls, with only three fours, he scored 67. Around him, the other Ashes heroes floundered. Matt Prior made 29 from 52 balls, Collingwood himself nine from 23 and Swann could not repeat his batting heroics from last weekend, bowled by Botha for five.

Botha continued his rehabilitation at the crease with a full 10 overs spell, his last three at the death going for just 15 runs and Alex Cusack shared the batting powerplay overs with Johnston, conceding just 25 runs, 13 of them off the last.

In the end it probably made a difference but no-one was blaming the Irish bowlers last night. If William Porterfield and Niall O’Brien had not given their wickets away so early then even with the ball turning later in the innings Ireland would have run out comfortable winners.

As it is, instead of gaining 15 ranking points, they have lost two and go back to 11th in the world rankings, below Zimbabwe. So near yet so far.
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

simonno6 wrote:
tackle-bag wrote:There's only one word for what just happened there... pathetic.

Yeh what a pack of wasters... A group of part time cricketers could only get within 2 runs of beating one of the best teams in the world. f%~king morons.

They had them between their teeth and sheer idiocy cost them the game. Besides, it was essentially an England 'B' team. In all likelihood, we won't get a chance to claim a win like that for another couple of years.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

tackle-bag wrote:
simonno6 wrote:

They had them between their teeth and sheer idiocy cost them the game. Besides, it was essentially an England 'B' team. In all likelihood, we won't get a chance to claim a win like that for another couple of years.
That was a pretty strong England ODI side. Alright a few guys were rested but the bulk of the one day side was there
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

Anybody here watching or care at all about the Champions Trophy? I realise that it's probably a question I could ask the whole world and get very few positive replies but you never know your luck in a big city.
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

I'm quite sure alot of us are interested
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

I'm just finding it very hard to get myself interested. It's a pretty pointless tournament I think, so I was hoping to be lazy and use any excitement or interest of third parties to help fuel my own.
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

Well I'm surrounded my English, Sri Lanka, S Africa , and NZ heads in work so we're pretty much covered on the interest front. Its an interesting tournament which is getting bigger every time its held.
Windies are woeful due to striking players , I can't see England doing much. I reckon SL , SA and India or possibly Oz will have the final say
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

Yeah, it could actually just be that I've fallen out of love with 50-over cricket. With Tests as the ultimate form and 20/20 for the sloggers and the part-time fans (and I mean that in the nicest possible, non-condescending way) I guess it just seems like ODIs are struggling to find their niche in my cricketing heart.
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

And thats how its done , Eoin Morgan take a bow
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

Yep, if Dublin keeps producing such good cricketers it's bound to get some decent hurlers come through too eventually. :)
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

Leinster Exile wrote:And thats how its done , Eoin Morgan take a bow
Eoin Morgan again!! Don't tell me England are going to get out of their group.