Dublin GAA Thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Dublin GAA Thread

Post by cormac »

While it's good news for Dublin GAA he didn't exactly give it much of a go over in Australia.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

cormac wrote:While it's good news for Dublin GAA he didn't exactly give it much of a go over in Australia.
Good. I think this whole thing of "being a professional sportsman" for GAA players is over-rated to be honest when it's in another sport on the other side of the world which no one here gives a f**k about.

If he achieves his potential he'll probably earn as much in sponsorship over here and effectively train full-time like Bernard Brogan does.

Fair play to the kid for realising early that Aussie Rules is a load of b*%&!cks. I wish more young G.A.A. players would feel the same way. Couldn't believe some of the reaction on Off The Ball last night, treating it like a tragedy that he might have "lost his chance" of making it down under.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Donny B. wrote:
cormac wrote:While it's good news for Dublin GAA he didn't exactly give it much of a go over in Australia.
Good. I think this whole thing of "being a professional sportsman" for GAA players is over-rated to be honest when it's in another sport on the other side of the world which no one here gives a f**k about.

If he achieves his potential he'll probably earn as much in sponsorship over here and effectively train full-time like Bernard Brogan does.

Fair play to the kid for realising early that Aussie Rules is a load of b*%&!cks. I wish more young G.A.A. players would feel the same way. Couldn't believe some of the reaction on Off The Ball last night, treating it like a tragedy that he might have "lost his chance" of making it down under.
Well said DB............Living as I do in a rural community,if a local lad had the opportunity to play over there, make a living out of it, I'd be happy for him. But let's not pretend it's like a pro career in the NFL or the Premiership.........very honest of CK to say....."actually...I got it wrong, don't really fancy it" At least he gave it a spin......Refreshing maturity from a 19 year old......far more awareness than many have at that age tbh.....
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

nelly the elephant wrote:
Well said DB............Living as I do in a rural community,if a local lad had the opportunity to play over there, make a living out of it, I'd be happy for him. But let's not pretend it's like a pro career in the NFL or the Premiership.........very honest of CK to say....."actually...I got it wrong, don't really fancy it" At least he gave it a spin......Refreshing maturity from a 19 year old......far more awareness than many have at that age tbh.....
I don't have a problem with a player going if they really fancy it, it's their choice. I do have a problem with our subservient media almost wishing our young players away like it's some sort of dream career.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I have Bumbleflex
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

Dave Cahill wrote:Heffo has passed away...

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/gaa/20 ... 89193.html
I'm not a GAA person but was always impressed by him and by what his teams achieved. RIP
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Yeah RIP Heffo. Was before my time, but the respect he's held in within G.A.A circles in general speaks for itself!
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Sad aul day alright.

Met him numerous times as my Dad and he went all the way through school in Fairview together.
Heffo army, there isin't a car journey home from Croker where its not mentioned.

A gent.

Lord rest him.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Mackman15 wrote:Sad aul day alright.

Met him numerous times as my Dad and he went all the way through school in Fairview together.
Heffo army, there isin't a car journey home from Croker where its not mentioned.

A gent.

Lord rest him.
Never met the man, but a genuine hero from every account I've heard or read. RIP.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

I was talking with Seán Doherty on Friday night about him....he was very cut up. I've heard a good few Heffo stories from Sean over the years....it's quite extraordinary the bond they all formed together and with him. He was some fella....a huge loss to Dublin GAA,St Vincents and the people of Marino.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Not a classic game by any means but a win is a win and Division 1A Hurling secured for next year(not to mention a semi final against Tipp in a couple of weeks)...onwards and upwards for the Dubs.
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

nelly the elephant wrote:Not a classic game by any means
You can say that again! Hopefully there's a bit of fire left in Dalo's Dubs, and a decent win in the championship will hopefully restore a bit of confidence. Worrying times. On current form, they don't belong in Div 1A, but that is only temporary, hopefully. Only 8 points from play today (versus Lim's 6), but a nice spread of scorers. No single dependency (outside of free taking Ryan), is encouraging. But a point a piece for the entire game is very worrying (no matter who you're playing, or how the conditions are). Roll on the Leinster Championship!
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Paul Mannion will make his first championship start for Dublin in Saturday night's Leinster championship clash with Westmeath at Croke Park.

The Kilmacud Crokes attacker who impressed so much in the league campaign will be joined in the full forward line by Paddy Andrews and Bernard Brogan.

Twelve of the side that won the League title at the end of April against Tyrone will start for Jim Gavin.

Michael Dara MacAuley and Cian O'Sullivan will again feature in midfield with Ciaran Kilkenny joining the returning Paul Flynn and Diarmuid Connolly at half forward.

Rory O'Carroll also makes his long awaited return in defence.

Dublin: Stephen Cluxton; Darren Daly, Rory O'Carroll, Jonny Cooper; James McCarthy, Ger Brennan, Jack McCaffrey; Michael Dara Macauley, Cian O'Sullivan; Paul Flynn, Ciaran Kilkenny, Diarmuid Connolly; Paul Mannion, Paddy Andrews, Bernard Brogan.

Very exciting forward line!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Still to come in

Alan Brogan
Bryan Cullen
Denis Bastick
Michael Fitzsimons
Kevin Nolan
Philip McMahon
Tomás Brady
Dean Rock
Eoghan O'Gara
Kevin McMenamon

Exciting times...
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Donny B. wrote:Paul Mannion will make his first championship start for Dublin in Saturday night's Leinster championship clash with Westmeath at Croke Park.

The Kilmacud Crokes attacker who impressed so much in the league campaign will be joined in the full forward line by Paddy Andrews and Bernard Brogan.

Twelve of the side that won the League title at the end of April against Tyrone will start for Jim Gavin.

Michael Dara MacAuley and Cian O'Sullivan will again feature in midfield with Ciaran Kilkenny joining the returning Paul Flynn and Diarmuid Connolly at half forward.

Rory O'Carroll also makes his long awaited return in defence.

Dublin: Stephen Cluxton; Darren Daly, Rory O'Carroll, Jonny Cooper; James McCarthy, Ger Brennan, Jack McCaffrey; Michael Dara Macauley, Cian O'Sullivan; Paul Flynn, Ciaran Kilkenny, Diarmuid Connolly; Paul Mannion, Paddy Andrews, Bernard Brogan.

Very exciting forward line!
Looking forward to this........as you say there's a lot of attacking potential. Not sure about O'Sullivan at midfield though-agree with Senan Connell on the Last Word yesterday evening that he's a fabulous footballer.....but very much a defender. Still, Jim Gavin has earned our trust so far.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Dublin have just drawn Kilkenny down in Portlaoise 0-17 to 1-14. Unfortunately, you'd have to think that this was their chance today but that's a performance they can be proud of.

Best of luck in the replay lads.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Cianostays wrote:Dublin have just drawn Kilkenny down in Portlaoise 0-17 to 1-14. Unfortunately, you'd have to think that this was their chance today but that's a performance they can be proud of.

Was listening to the updates on Newstalk. So close, Reid had to point with the last play to save the draw. Unfortunately with the Cats, you generally only get one shot at them.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Donny B. wrote:
Cianostays wrote:Dublin have just drawn Kilkenny down in Portlaoise 0-17 to 1-14. Unfortunately, you'd have to think that this was their chance today but that's a performance they can be proud of.

Was listening to the updates on Newstalk. So close, Reid had to point with the last play to save the draw. Unfortunately with the Cats, you generally only get one shot at them.
Good result for them though....a lot of psychological damage done in the defeat at the same venue last year. We'd been on a downward curve ever since in both performance and results. This will give the whole squad a massive shot in the arm and even if we lose the replay, these two games will definitely stand to them in the qualifiers.
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

Dublin bringing the game to Kilkenny again. Too bad Canning's commentary is such irritating tripe.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Dublin are about 1 minute away from beating Kilkenny here. 3 pts up. Seconds left.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.