Dublin GAA Thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

CRAZYDAVE wrote:
Dublin will only get so far in the Championship as the GAA need them to fill Croke Park. With Meath and possibly Kildare out, Croker won't be full for any Leinster Championship fixtures unless the Dubs are there. They will be kept in the competition until such time as Croke Park has other fixtures that will fill it ! Oh, and expect a few "Draws" to be thrown in there, to allow those Gullible enough, think that their making progress !!
Ah now Crazy Dave, your bitter cynicism knows no bounds.
So all Dublin games are fixed? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Give me a break!

Are you a Dubs fan or do I recall you telling me once you were a Meath supporter?

If you are Meath, that would explain the bitter cynicism, especially after the beating you took at the hands of Wexford last weekend.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: Dublin GAA Thread

Post by Donny B. »

thecoolfreak wrote:Team announced for Sunday. A few surprises

DUBLIN (SF v Longford) – S Cluxton; N O’Shea, B Cahill, D Henry; P Casey, C Goggins, P Griffin; C Whelan, S Ryan; K Bonner, A Brogan, B Cullen; T Quinn, C Keaney, M Vaughan.

The players who were not considered for selection owing to injury were Darren Magee, Declan O’Mahony, Derek Murray, Pat Burke and Stephen O’Shaughnessy.
Quite an interesting team, really. Don't really know much about O'Shea but good to see Henry back. I think Paddy Christie is gone, but maybe O’Shaughnessy could be the long-term answer at full-back when he returns from injury? This would allow Barry Cahill to return to centre-back where he was excellent last year in place of the perennially under-achieving Goggins.

Midfield of Whelan and Ryan ain't great but until Magee is back, there's not may other great options. Bonner should bring some aggression to the half-back line (judging by the scrap in Tyrone anyhow) and the rest of the forward line looks good. Hopefully Vaughan will get a good run in the side now. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, but I think he could really give us an edge up front and he could be the reliable place-kicker we've lacked.

I'll be over in Munich this weekend so I won't see the game, probably wouldn't have got a ticket anyhow. But I think they should be able to deal with Longford handily enough.
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

Donny Brooke wrote:
CRAZYDAVE wrote:
Dublin will only get so far in the Championship as the GAA need them to fill Croke Park. With Meath and possibly Kildare out, Croker won't be full for any Leinster Championship fixtures unless the Dubs are there. They will be kept in the competition until such time as Croke Park has other fixtures that will fill it ! Oh, and expect a few "Draws" to be thrown in there, to allow those Gullible enough, think that their making progress !!
Give me a break!

Are you a Dubs fan or do I recall you telling me once you were a Meath supporter?

If you are Meath, that would explain the bitter cynicism, especially after the beating you took at the hands of Wexford last weekend.
Ask anyone that knows me and they will tell you my feelings about any form of GAA. Forced to play it in school, can't stand it now. No gripes with the players, just the so called followers. I believe that some of the referees in GAA make Nigel Whitehouse and Rob Dickson look good !!!

From my experience, many Hill 16 dwellers have the IQ of a retarded amoeba, don't know where the home grounds of Whitehall, Ballymun or Parnell's are located and are only there because its a fashionable things to go out with your mates, get pissed knacker drinking in Fairview/Griffith Park, arrive at the ground 15 minutes after the game has started, sing racist songs, and leave the same game 20 minutes before its over. The usual call sign of this genus is "Awritebudd", "Deadlybuzz", or if aggressive "Watchagonnadooabourit". Late night sightings have included the synchronised technicoulour decoration including Lager/Cider/Chips/chinese, all combined to create little pizzas "all over the shop".

Don't get me wrong, the Dubs are not the worst. That proud distinction falls to the knickle grazed Armagh crowd.

I couldn't give 2 flying figs who wins as long as both teams exit the Championship at the earliest possible stage.

Hope that answers your question about my cynicism
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

CRAZYDAVE wrote:
Donny Brooke wrote:
CRAZYDAVE wrote:
Give me a break!

Ask anyone that knows me and they will tell you my feelings about any form of GAA. Forced to play it in school, can't stand it now. No gripes with the players, just the so called followers. I believe that some of the referees in GAA make Nigel Whitehouse and Rob Dickson look good !!!

From my experience, many Hill 16 dwellers have the IQ of a retarded amoeba, don't know where the home grounds of Whitehall, Ballymun or Parnell's are located and are only there because its a fashionable things to go out with your mates, get pissed knacker drinking in Fairview/Griffith Park, arrive at the ground 15 minutes after the game has started, sing racist songs, and leave the same game 20 minutes before its over. The usual call sign of this genus is "Awritebudd", "Deadlybuzz", or if aggressive "Watchagonnadooabourit". Late night sightings have included the synchronised technicoulour decoration including Lager/Cider/Chips/chinese, all combined to create little pizzas "all over the shop".

Don't get me wrong, the Dubs are not the worst. That proud distinction falls to the knickle grazed Armagh crowd.

I couldn't give 2 flying figs who wins as long as both teams exit the Championship at the earliest possible stage.

Well now Crazy Dave, I'm disappointed in you.
You're someone who abhors the stereotype of all Leinster fans being upper-class Ross O'Carroll Kelly airheads.
Yet you gladly subscribe to the snobby stereotype of every Dublin fan being a violent, cider-drinking skanger.
I'm not saying the Dublin supporters are perfect, there are some young fellas who are an embarassment. But they're just young gobsh*tes who can't handle a drink.
But the over-whelming majority of Dublin fans are decent, working class people who just go to the match and have a few beers and a sing-song before and after. And I'm proud to say I'm one of them!

Is that awright bud? Cos you're wrecking me buzz, ya mad thing!!
Colm
Mullet

Post by Colm »

CRAZYDAVE wrote:Ask anyone that knows me and they will tell you my feelings about any form of GAA. Forced to play it in school, can't stand it now. No gripes with the players, just the so called followers. I believe that some of the referees in GAA make Nigel Whitehouse and Rob Dickson look good !!!
Sounds like someone was so bad at GAA he never got picked. Forced to sit on the sidelines and watch how the game should be played eh?
CRAZYDAVE wrote:From my experience, many Hill 16 dwellers have the IQ of a retarded amoeba, don't know where the home grounds of Whitehall, Ballymun or Parnell's are located and are only there because its a fashionable things to go out with your mates, get pissed knacker drinking in Fairview/Griffith Park, arrive at the ground 15 minutes after the game has started, sing racist songs, and leave the same game 20 minutes before its over. The usual call sign of this genus is "Awritebudd", "Deadlybuzz", or if aggressive "Watchagonnadooabourit". Late night sightings have included the synchronised technicoulour decoration including Lager/Cider/Chips/chinese, all combined to create little pizzas "all over the shop".
Eh, I'm a massive Dublin fan and I'm on the Hill at every game but I'm also on the terrace at every Leinster game too. I'm torn between affluence and retarded amoeba. Please help me Crazy Dave as I feel your expert knowledge is required here ... NOT! Please take your head out of your hole and stop stereotyping. Every county has their share of bad fans Bandwagoners, know it alls, drunks etc etc). When is the last Dublin game you were at in Croke Park or even Parnell Park? The 10,000 strong in Parnell Park are the same fans you'd meet on the Hill in Croker. A majority of these are decent, honest and hard working fans who all share a passion and a love for Dublin football.
CRAZYDAVE wrote:Don't get me wrong, the Dubs are not the worst. That proud distinction falls to the knickle grazed Armagh crowd.
The ex was from Armagh. Last year I went to about 6 Armagh games. Sure, the team play tough and maybe a little too hot-headed at times but they are one of the best followed teams in the country. To be able to bring 40,000 fans down to Croker for and Ulster Final Vs Tyrone is something to be proud of. Again, I think you should go and experience this properly rather than obviously making your judgements on stories or fables.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

CRAZYDAVE wrote:
Donny Brooke wrote:
CRAZYDAVE wrote:
Give me a break!

CD, this is the most stereotypical view of Dublin fans i have ever heard. The vast, vast majority of Dublin fans are decent, hard working people who follow the team all over the country as can be seen from the large crowd travelling down to Longford on Sunday.

As for your point which mentions that Dublin fans don't know where there local club is, i would imagine there are plenty ofd supporters of rugby in this country who have never been or never will be in attendance at their local club
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

groundhog wrote:Dublin will not win an All-Ireland with that midfield and in fact I'll think they'll struggle to win a Leinster, Whelan for all his talents just disappears too much and Shane Ryan is he even a footballer :roll:

Would actually move Brogan in full-forward, I think he gets a bit lost at CHF and if I was marking Goggins I would just run at him all day. That team will beat Longford but in Croke Park against a Laois they might struggle through the middle.
Dublin struugle once out of the comfort zone of Croker. I'm not saying that Longford will beat them but it will be closer than last years annihalation.

BTW, if any of you are coming down, make sure to call into the Rugby club, only a couple of minutes walk from Pearse Park. The is also parking there.
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

Colm wrote:
CRAZYDAVE wrote:Ask anyone that knows me and they will tell you my feelings about any form of GAA. Forced to play it in school, can't stand it now. No gripes with the players, just the so called followers. I believe that some of the referees in GAA make Nigel Whitehouse and Rob Dickson look good !!!
Sounds like someone was so bad at GAA he never got picked. Forced to sit on the sidelines and watch how the game should be played eh?

Played National Hurling League Division 3, Actually. :D :D
CRAZYDAVE wrote:From my experience, many Hill 16 dwellers have the IQ of a retarded amoeba, don't know where the home grounds of Whitehall, Ballymun or Parnell's are located and are only there because its a fashionable things to go out with your mates, get pissed knacker drinking in Fairview/Griffith Park, arrive at the ground 15 minutes after the game has started, sing racist songs, and leave the same game 20 minutes before its over. The usual call sign of this genus is "Awritebudd", "Deadlybuzz", or if aggressive "Watchagonnadooabourit". Late night sightings have included the synchronised technicoulour decoration including Lager/Cider/Chips/chinese, all combined to create little pizzas "all over the shop".
Eh, I'm a massive Dublin fan and I'm on the Hill at every game but I'm also on the terrace at every Leinster game too. I'm torn between affluence and retarded amoeba. Please help me Crazy Dave as I feel your expert knowledge is required here ... NOT! Please take your head out of your hole and stop stereotyping. Every county has their share of bad fans Bandwagoners, know it alls, drunks etc etc). When is the last Dublin game you were at in Croke Park or even Parnell Park? The 10,000 strong in Parnell Park are the same fans you'd meet on the Hill in Croker. A majority of these are decent, honest and hard working fans who all share a passion and a love for Dublin football.

It's not "in the ground" but around the ground that all the hassle starts. Perhaps you are one of those who attends early and leave after the final whistle. Fair play, if so. You miss the "sights of Dublin", as a result.
CRAZYDAVE wrote:Don't get me wrong, the Dubs are not the worst. That proud distinction falls to the knickle grazed Armagh crowd.
The ex was from Armagh. Last year I went to about 6 Armagh games. Sure, the team play tough and maybe a little too hot-headed at times but they are one of the best followed teams in the country. To be able to bring 40,000 fans down to Croker for and Ulster Final Vs Tyrone is something to be proud of. Again, I think you should go and experience this properly rather than obviously making your judgements on stories or fables.
Unfortunately I get to view the side show every weekend that they play in Croke Park. Glad it's decamping to Longford this Sunday. What will the repair bill cost IarannRód Eireann. Every Sunday in Drumcondra/Fairvew should be like next Sunday. Peace and Quiet. ... Luxury !!!

Looking forward to next year when we get some decent supporters coming in for the 6N. Might even deck the house in bunting and have a barbie on each day to celebrate !!
Colm
Mullet

Post by Colm »

On this note ... Anyone know of a ticket or 2 goign spare for the Longford match this weekend?

I've tried all avenues with no luck :(
Last edited by Colm on June 1st, 2006, 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Colm wrote:On this note ... Anyone know of a ticket or 2 goign spare for the Longford match this weekend?

U've tried all avenues with no luck :(
If I've tried all avenues with no luck, then how am I supposed to have a spare or two?
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Colm
Mullet

Post by Colm »

Ah .. Limecat who never makes a mistake ... EVER!
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Colm wrote:Ah .. Limecat who never makes a mistake ... EVER!
:lol: :lol: 8)
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

We didn't look that good yesterday. From watching the Sunday GAme the backline looked terrible
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

I was at the game. The Longford full forward line is good with both bardens causing trouble. In fairness they have been doing that for a number of years without getting the attention that the dubs get. The athmosphere was great and it was a real sense of deja vu being outnumbered at a home game.

I spoke to a number of dubs after the game and they agreed that Longford should have got a draw.

But at least we got Waterford in the qualifiers!!!!!
groundhog
Knowledgeable

Post by groundhog »

So do you Dubs still think your midfield is a good unit :?

Still fancy you to beat Laois but have a sneaky feeling Offaly could win Leinster.
The French pulled up the Scots' kilts and discovered they had no balls - Zinzan Brooke
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

groundhog wrote:So do you Dubs still think your midfield is a good unit :?

Still fancy you to beat Laois but have a sneaky feeling Offaly could win Leinster.
Based on Sundays performance, I very much doubt we'll beat Laois. The only plus point is that we can't possibly play that badly again*...

*I hope
Colm
Mullet

Post by Colm »

Dublin will come good. I think Pillar is gonna go through them for a short cut tonight at training.

One good thing that we've to look forward to, O'Shaughnessy will be fit for the Laois game. He'll deffo add some beef to the defence.
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

I don't even know where to begin when trying to analyse that 'performance'. An absolute stinker of the highest order.

It was a cracking trip though (the walk to the stadium aside!). I feckin' love away days. :D
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

groundhog
Knowledgeable

Post by groundhog »

From what I saw Dublin seemed very flat, I reckon their training has been timed so they'll peak for the Laois game onwards. Longford were never going to be as bad as last year, their U/21's did well this year and Dempsey is an astute manager. I still feel Dublin need to address their spine, Magee has had his cast off so has a small chance, Goggins will struggle against Billy Sheehan and I'd play Shane Ryan as CHF to nullify Tom Kelly. Laois are very over-rated, Dublin will have too much physicality for them. If Dublin select the right team they'll win.
The French pulled up the Scots' kilts and discovered they had no balls - Zinzan Brooke
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Where did you walk from?