Dublin GAA Thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

T.C.B.
Seán Cronin

Post by T.C.B. »

Anyone go to the Dubs match? Heard the result on the way back from Gaillimhe. Might try and make it to the final if I can.
"It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eye, then it's just fun you can't see" - James Hetfield
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

Anyone see the big "mill" outside the ground after the match ??
T - 45
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

T.C.B. wrote:Anyone go to the Dubs match? Heard the result on the way back from Gaillimhe. Might try and make it to the final if I can.
Was there alright. Brilliant game. Going to miss the final for the second year in a row though :x I'll have to try and find an Irish bar in Cape Town for the match
T.C.B.
Seán Cronin

Post by T.C.B. »

thecoolfreak wrote:
T.C.B. wrote:Anyone go to the Dubs match? Heard the result on the way back from Gaillimhe. Might try and make it to the final if I can.
Was there alright. Brilliant game. Going to miss the final for the second year in a row though :x I'll have to try and find an Irish bar in Cape Town for the match
God love you! :roll:

:D

The final is on the 16th July isn't it??
"It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eye, then it's just fun you can't see" - James Hetfield
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Dead right.

I wonder when the quarter finals will be on. Hopefully if they win i'll be back for them
T.C.B.
Seán Cronin

Post by T.C.B. »

thecoolfreak wrote:
Dead right.

I wonder when the quarter finals will be on. Hopefully if they win i'll be back for them
http://www.gaa.ie/page/bank_of_ireland_ ... tures.html

According to the GAA site, they look to be on August 12th. I think!
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Perfect. Will be back in plenty of time
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

The game ended as a serious contest as soon as Padraig Clancey was taken out - we dominated around the middle after that. 3-17 is a hell of a score though.

I agree with the comments re. Bonner being relatively subdued, and I've gone on record before about a preference for Lally in that spot, but the forwards worked very well as unit and I don't see any changes for the next day.

Looks like it could be a long summer. 8)
Last edited by Duke Raoul on June 27th, 2006, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Anyone see the bollocking Cluxton gave Bonner just before he was taken off? Very funny indeed
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Duke Raoul wrote:The game ended as a serious contest as soon as Padraig Clancey was taken out - we dominated around the middle after that. 3-17 is a hell of a score though.

I agree with the comments re. Bonner being relatively subdued, and I've gone and record before about a preference for Lally in that spot, but the forwards worked very well as unit and I don't see any changes for the next day.

Looks like it could be a long summer. 8)
Yeah, Clancy going was a big turning point alright. Up to then Whelan had won sod all in midfield. Once Clancy was gone though, he dominated.

You have to be happy with that score-line alright, but I was surprised to see how many wides we had when I watched the game again last night.

I still think there are areas we can improve though and I think Pillar would be wrong to cast the team in stone and go with the same lineup. Shane Ryan is still not a midfielder and against better sides we'll struggle in midfield. Hopefully Darren Magee will be ready for the next match. I wouldn't drop Ryan entirely though, as we need his work-rate in the team. He could replace the hard-working but limited Bonnar at half-forward or Goggins at half-back. Everytime I see Goggins play he just seems to get slower and slower. If he's fit Collie Moran could also replace Goggins. Another option would be to put O'Shaughnessy at full-back which would free up Barry Cahill to return to the half-back line, where he'd be much happier.

In the forwards I'd be less inclined to make changes with the exception of Bonnar. If Ryan is needed elsewhere, we could look at Lally or David O'Callaghan who took his two points very well when he came on (admittedly the game was over at that stage).

Overall though it was the most complete display by a Dublin forward line for many a year and hopefully it's a sign of good things to come.
:D :D :D
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

O'Shaughnessy at full-back which would free up Barry Cahill to return to the half-back line, where he'd be much happier.
He's far too light to play full back. Cahill has been playing some great football at fullback so he should stay there. As for Goggins he makes an awful lot of runs that free up space for others, however he gives too much space to his man in defence but then again so does the whole Dublin backline
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Dublin Unchanged

Post by Donny B. »

Pillar has gone for the same team that started against Laois.

DUBLIN (SF v Offaly) - S Cluxton; D Henry, B Cahill, P Griffin; P Casey, B Cullen, C Goggins; C Whelan, S Ryan; C Keaney, A Brogan, R Cosgrove; J Sherlock, K Bonner, T Quinn. Subs: J Leonard, P Andrews, D Magee, D O'Callaghan, S Connell, M Vaughan, D Lally, S O'Shaughnessy, P Christie, C Moran, B Brogan, G Norton, N O'Shea, D O'Mahony, D Bastick.

OFFALY (SF) - P Kelly; G Rafferty, S Sullivan, N Grennan; P McConway, S Brady, K Slattery; C McManus, A McNamee; D Hunt, P Kellaghan, N Coughlan; T Deehan, J Reynolds, N McNamee

He's made a few positional switches up front but Dublin forwards hardly ever line up as their numbers indicate so we'll have to see how they line up on the day. Good strength on the bench as well now.

Offaly shouldn't be under-estimated though. They played some good football against a tough Wexford team. The major battle ground will be midfield of course and they have Ciaran McManus and Alan McNamee who will make life hard for Whelan and Ryan. Toman Deehan and Niall McNamee also showed they can be lethal if they get any space in the full-back line.

I still think we'll have enough to win but I think it could be a tougher match than a lot of people are expecting.
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

No surprises that Caffrey stuck with a winning formula. As you say Donnie, the numbers on the shirt are really just where the players will stand for the throw in but, having said that, I really hope Bonner actually starts at full-forward as I doubt we'll see the best of him until he does.

With Magee back that is some bench. Looking good. :)
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

Colm
Mullet

Post by Colm »

Story of a Season

New 90 minute version
Wednesday 12th July, RTÉ Two 11.25pm

Love them or loathe them, 'The Dubs' always add something special to the annual battle for Sam. This hour-long documentary offers a unique insight into their season last year and into the preparation and dedication required of an inter-county team.

We are offered a unique view into the heart of one of the country's most talked about teams with unprecedented access to pre-match, half time and full team talks, as well as squad training sessions, the team bus and the dressing room during Dublin's run in last year's Championship.

The Dublin manager, Paul 'Pillar' Caffrey and the players also offer honest and insightful interviews reflecting on the season that was.

The prevailing theme that this is not just a team, but a family - a theme that would be familiar to all inter-county teams.

Apart from the sporting highs and lows that were touched on, the players dealt with subjects that would be very personal to them, and also that would interest an audience who would not initially be motivated to watch a sports documentary.

These include: The death of Pillar's mother-in-law the night before the Leinster final, Dave Hendricks (the bag man), who was centre of the system for 10 years and his support to the team, the pain of losing to Tyrone, (footage from the dressing room, players gutted etc.), Darren Homan's football career ended by his best friend in a training ground challenge, as well as team bonding sessions, golf, greyhounds and O'Shaughnessy's traumatic injury, and miraculous comeback.
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

If you've any interest in sport at all that really is must see TV.

Mark Vaughan in the ice-bath is f-f-focking priceless. :D

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Duke Raoul wrote:If you've any interest in sport at all that really is must see TV.

Mark Vaughan in the ice-bath is f-f-focking priceless. :D
Great documentary, very revealing look at how a modern Gaelic football team prepares for the championship

I reckon Mark Vaughan is still looking for his b****cks after that ice bath :D
El Diablo
Mullet

Croker on Sunday

Post by El Diablo »

Anyone planning to go to Croker on Sunday in his Leinster jersey?
Colm
Mullet

Post by Colm »

G'wan the Suuuuuuper Dubs!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Unless they do something about that full back line they are focked!
I have Bumbleflex
Colm
Mullet

Post by Colm »

Dave Cahill wrote:Unless they do something about that full back line they are focked!
Agreed - It's time for O'Shaughnessy to get a start me thinks.