Free admission to UCD AFC wearing your Leinster shirt

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Poor Student
Beginner

Free admission to UCD AFC wearing your Leinster shirt

Post by Poor Student »

Greetings Leinster fans. :D I hope it's ok to post this here:

UCD are to offer free admission to all adults wearing a Leinster rugby jersey this Friday for the College's home Premier division clash against Derry City at Belfield Park.
It is part of UCD's ongoing attempts to improve home gates.

UCD Development Officer Diarmuid McNally spoke of the initiative, "It’s important that we spread our appeal as much as possible. With the rugby season over, this is an opportunity for Leinster rugby supporters to swap codes for the evening and bring their kids along to Belfield Park for a night’s entertainment and fun."

"The club has embarked on an extensive marketing campaign to publicise its matches this season," McNally explained. "We have circulated hundreds of posters to local pubs and shops as well as thousands of fliers to commuters and local schools and clubs."

"We know habits change slowly but we are determined to develop a new fan base. The matches we put on at half time are a great attraction for the kids. We also have some of the most exciting young players in the country, including current Republic of Ireland Under-21 internationals Gary Dicker and Darren Quigley."

--------------------------------------------------------

You're all more than welcome to attend this clash on Friday at 8:00pm. Belfield Park is on Fosters Avenue in the UCD campus. Don't forget your jersey. :wink:
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Great to see an effort being made to get more people going to UCD games. I've been there watching matches along with one man and his dog, although it does seem that the crowds have been growing slowly over the last few years.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Poor Student
Beginner

Post by Poor Student »

limecat wrote:Great to see an effort being made to get more people going to UCD games. I've been there watching matches along with one man and his dog, although it does seem that the crowds have been growing slowly over the last few years.
The home crowd seems to be growing over the last few seasons. We're strongly seeking to expand the fanbase. We've been admitting kids for free who play with Mt. Merrion Boys club. I see this has been moved to the Other Sports Forum, fair enough. If anyone is interested in taking this up feel free to ask any questions here. We've changed the kickoff time to 5:15 on Saturdays modelling after Leinster to suit families. This one is on Friday due to it being live on Setanta. Who knows, by turning up you could get your ugly mug on TV. If enough of you turn up it'll be free advertisement for Leinster. :wink:
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

It's probably the best chance we have of there being a Leinster jersey shown on setanta these days :? :cry: :cry: :cry:
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

limecat wrote:Great to see an effort being made to get more people going to UCD games. I've been there watching matches along with one man and his dog, although it does seem that the crowds have been growing slowly over the last few years.
I used to play there in front of one man and his dog, when I went over to the dark side!!! :wink:

Lime if you're going down during the summer, would be happy to come along with my dog. Give us a shout.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

Flash Gordon wrote:
I used to play there in front of one man and his dog, when I went over to the dark side!!! :wink:

Lime if you're going down during the summer, would be happy to come along with my dog. Give us a shout.
Sure it's only a 10 minute walk! :lol:

Could fill the live sport void for a while tho.
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
Poor Student
Beginner

Post by Poor Student »

harryp wrote:

That's pretty much the angle we're going for. The Eircom League isn't all that dissimilar to rugby. Both involve a team from Munster that believes itself to have the biggest and best fanbase around and looks down on teams for this way. :wink:

The problem is that we break off for the World Cup after this. The next home game doesn't seem to be until the 14th of July. But there seems to be some level of interest here so I'll return and remind people of upcoming games. But do pass this around to your mates if you're interested in heading.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

harryp wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:

Fock off Harry. It was actually a 5 minute walk! Used to run from my house to the campus.
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

Flash Gordon wrote:
harryp wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote: I used to play there in front of one man and his dog, when I went over to the dark side!!! :wink:

Fock off Harry. It was actually a 5 minute walk! Used to run from my house to the campus.
:wink:
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Flash Gordon wrote:
harryp wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote: I used to play there in front of one man and his dog, when I went over to the dark side!!! :wink:

Probably about a 3 week trek now Flash - at least its downhill all the way there :lol:
A proud Winsome Fluter
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
harryp wrote: Sure it's only a 10 minute walk! :lol:

Probably about a 3 week trek now Flash - at least its downhill all the way there :lol:
I was wondering when you'd chip in..... :lol:
Poor Student
Beginner

Post by Poor Student »

Btw, I'm told that there's a good deal of advertisement out for this offer. Has anyone actually noticed this?
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

I ain't seen any...then again I live on the westside, so there's unlikely to be advertising out this way.
Eve
Mullet Moderator

Post by Eve »

Poor Student wrote:Btw, I'm told that there's a good deal of advertisement out for this offer. Has anyone actually noticed this?
Haven't seen any advertising but have had it mentioned to me by someone else in work. Off another FAI teams website afaik.
Crash
Graduate

Post by Crash »

I was given a flyer about the game this morning. It had an offer for a fiver off admission if I showed the flyer. No mention of free admission for wearing a Leinster jersey.
Poor Student
Beginner

Post by Poor Student »

Crash wrote:I was given a flyer about the game this morning. It had an offer for a fiver off admission if I showed the flyer. No mention of free admission for wearing a Leinster jersey.
Hmmm, we must be going all out for this one. So, anyone considering going who wouldn't have otherwise? Derry usually bring a very colourful, atmospheric good natured crowd by the way. Best away fans in the league.
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

Crash wrote:I was given a flyer about the game this morning. It had an offer for a fiver off admission if I showed the flyer. No mention of free admission for wearing a Leinster jersey.
If you turn up at the game, in your Leinster jersey and with the flier, then they give you a fiver...I think. :?
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

Poor Student
Beginner

Post by Poor Student »

Duke Raoul wrote:
If you turn up at the game, in your Leinster jersey and with the flier, then they give you a fiver...I think. :?
You think we have a spare fiver at this club? :wink:
Poor Student
Beginner

Post by Poor Student »

Don't forget it's tonight people. :D
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Poor Student wrote:Don't forget it's tonight people. :D
what is? :lol: