Ireland in the 20/20

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Re: Bangladesh V Ireland 20/20

Post by thecoolfreak »

simonno6 wrote:was at the game on monday, brilliant stuff. Very enjoyable day. Delighted the aussies are out as well!

TCF and Suisse are absolutely spot on. No first class competition = no test match status. No test country does not have a first class competition.

Tackle Bag, 2020 is a completely different game to test cricket. Theres just no way you can measure Irelands ability to play at the highest level in world cricket from the 20 over or even 50 over format.
Hoping to go to the game in Lords on Sunday. All depends on how much study I get done on Saturday
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

id love to make it but im too feckin broke now - cheap city but a very very long day of beering!

One of the lads i was with didnt book a flight home until yesterday, ended up costing him 200 euro plus the 15 euro credit wasted calling up ryanair. So he arrives at the airport and they inform him there is a 40 pound check in fee! He then changes 50 euro at the currency exchange to pay for this and it charged a fiver.

So altogether, (including bus fare to the airport and aircoach home), it cost him roughly 290 euro to get home from nottingham!
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

simonno6 wrote:id love to make it but im too feckin broke now - cheap city but a very very long day of beering!

One of the lads i was with didnt book a flight home until yesterday, ended up costing him 200 euro plus the 15 euro credit wasted calling up ryanair. So he arrives at the airport and they inform him there is a 40 pound check in fee! He then changes 50 euro at the currency exchange to pay for this and it charged a fiver.

So altogether, (including bus fare to the airport and aircoach home), it cost him roughly 290 euro to get home from nottingham!
Living only 20 minutes from Lords kind of negates those costs
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Right...

According to some people, Ireland are worthy of Test match status. I think tonight proves otherwise (as if proof and fact weren't enough).

We saw this in the CWC2007 that Ireland do struggle to build a decent innings from their opening batsmen. Jeremy Bray is proving costly, and he never looked comfortable at the crease. He could have been out for any one of his first 6 balls. For a man of that experience, and outspoken opinion, I think his team mates should be entitled to expect more. Will Porterfield is a great Associate batsman, but he does struggle against the very best.

In the end, Ireland were indebted to a brilliant finish from Andrew White. An extremely under-rated player. India's bowling was avergae towards the end, but White, solely, took Ireland to triple figures.

It's NZ tomorrow, who will be without Taylor and Ryder. Vettori is a doubt. Theur batting is in trouble, especially as Ryder has the best strike rate this tourney. A great chance for Ireland.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

suisse wrote:Right...

According to some people, Ireland are worthy of Test match status. I think tonight proves otherwise (as if proof and fact weren't enough).

We saw this in the CWC2007 that Ireland do struggle to build a decent innings from their opening batsmen. Jeremy Bray is proving costly, and he never looked comfortable at the crease. He could have been out for any one of his first 6 balls. For a man of that experience, and outspoken opinion, I think his team mates should be entitled to expect more. Will Porterfield is a great Associate batsman, but he does struggle against the very best.

In the end, Ireland were indebted to a brilliant finish from Andrew White. An extremely under-rated player. India's bowling was avergae towards the end, but White, solely, took Ireland to triple figures.

It's NZ tomorrow, who will be without Taylor and Ryder. Vettori is a doubt. Theur batting is in trouble, especially as Ryder has the best strike rate this tourney. A great chance for Ireland.
Bray is not playing well. I'd have White or Botha in ahead of him pushing N O'Brien or Wilson to opening up the batting. Porterfield is a great player but he's just not a 20/20 player. He's a real traditional opening batsmen in the mould of Strauss, he takes his time to get in and is perfectly suited to the longer version of the game. He's not a great 20/20 player though
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

thecoolfreak wrote:
suisse wrote:Right...

Bray is not playing well. I'd have White or Botha in ahead of him pushing N O'Brien or Wilson to opening up the batting. Porterfield is a great player but he's just not a 20/20 player. He's a real traditional opening batsmen in the mould of Strauss, he takes his time to get in and is perfectly suited to the longer version of the game. He's not a great 20/20 player though
Yeh theres no real doubt about Poterfields quality, he's just not an explosive 2020 player. I still think there is a roll for him to stick around and cement the innings together whilst the others play a more attacking roll.

White played very well today and i'd have him or Botha (even just as a batter) in any day ahead of Wilson, who has looked poor. Bray is out of form but has the class we need - In 2020 your only one innings away from being in good form if you have the ability, just look at Jayaisuria today. Bray has the ability, but Wilson doesnt.

This is the team and batting order i'd go with given a fully fit side.

1. Bray
2. Porterfield
3. Nob
4. Kob
5. Mooney
6. Johnston
7. White
8. Cusack
9. West
10. McCallan
11. Rankin
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

I think today shows how vitally important the FPT is to Ireland. OK, it's not 20/20, but with our main guys playing for English counties, we need to continue blooding the younger guys, and the FPT is a fine launch pad. We missed our best batsman and bowler, and looked a little blunt in both areas. Progress needed, but Simmons is doing a good job. Wicket-keeping was an issue today without NOB's confidence.

I know he didn't have a good world cup for us (again different format) but does anyone feel Ireland may be missing Eoin Morgan's experience and creativity at the top of the order? Simon, I just don't think Porterfield "cements the innings together whilst the others play a more attacking roll". I think he goes cheaply.

However, it was important after the Bangladesh game not to run away with wild theories about Test cricket, so today should be the same with certain players' abilities. Ireland were playing the best 2020 country on the planet, and we've very little experience at this. I'm still confident there's another HUGE performance in this team. And do better time than tomorrow
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ireland in the 20/20

Post by sarah_lennon »

NZ

So far, so bad. 51-0 after five overs
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

were getting absolutely smashed here. what is Conell doing in the side.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

What is happening to Trent Johnson's bowling?

New Zealand's running is excellent though. How amny times have they pulled 2 runs when most sides would have settled for 1.

Feck all dot balls.

The first 2 overs were awful
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

NZ will reach 200 easily. if we can get to 130, we're still looking at a 70 run hammering

McGlahsam gone. 175-6

So much for this being a weak batting side with the injuries.

2 overs left
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

Redmond is playing for farnworth cricket club in bolton at the moment - I chekced their website and he hit 146 off 25 overs last week with 10 sixes so he's in great nick which continued today. Being out of international/first class cricket will have set him up nicely for the bowling on show from the Irish today. There would be nothing above 80 mph in the bolton leagues, as with the Irish bowlers.

Johnstons come back better in his second spell but i think his shoulder injury is hampering him. Hes bowling a load of cutters and slower balls.

198-5 New Zealand.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Awwww Porterfield gone cheaply again. I'd love to see Ireland even establish a 30 run opening partnership.

The O'Briens went early. the chance went then. If we can get to 130, we'll be doing well. A lot of balls left, but wickets running out
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Mooney should be shot.
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

suisse wrote:Awwww Porterfield gone cheaply again. I'd love to see Ireland even establish a 30 run opening partnership.

The O'Briens went early. the chance went then. If we can get to 130, we'll be doing well. A lot of balls left, but wickets running out
In fairness, porterfield could have done nothing about this one. It was one of those where a straight drive is deflected onto the stumps bsmy the bowler, and the batsman who has been backing up as he should have was run out.

However, Irelands other two run outs have been shocking.
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

how is dasilva still umpiring at the top level in the game... he is one of the worst umpires I have ever seen.

As an umpire myself, i appericiate that it can be an incredibly hard job. However, when the ball pitches outside the line of leg stump it is inexcusable to give a batsman out lbw - its the most basic thing you look out for when adjudging lbw. bulshat!
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Who do you play with anyway?

Looking forward to England's game now. NZ win by 83 runs
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

suisse wrote:Who do you play with anyway?

Looking forward to England's game now. NZ win by 83 runs
Civil service but ive been umpiring for the LCU&SA for the last 2 years, this being my 3rd year.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Didn't see the game live cause I had an exam but just saw the highlights on BBC. Pretty poor showing. New Zealand showed that the key to 20/20 is a strong start, something that we have not come anywhere near achieving. Anyway its over and hopefully a better performance on Sundat and hopefull I'll be there.

On the playing of cricket, would love to give it a shot myself. I only got interested in cricket in the summer of 2005 (the last Ashes series in England) and this was the year I finshied school. Would love to pick the game up now though
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Well done Ireland. Great effort. So close to a massive, massive upset.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

That 18th over was vital. Bloody Malinga. Cracking bowling. You also have to bemoan Mooney's decision not to go for the free hit, and Kevin O'Brien's half a yard short of pace which would have given Alex Cusack 14-5 instead of 18-4. And Andrew White going out to the worst bowler on the park with 12 runs from the three previous balls.

Small margains, but if O'Brien takes the catch, and Mooney hits a six from the free ball, Ireland beat Sri Lanka.

Anyway, they need a fit Niall O'Brien and have another real go at Pakistan tomorrow.

Good job, boys!