Ireland in the 20/20

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Ireland in the 20/20

Post by tackle-bag »

Yeah, they really were far too casual in the middle of the innings there today. I appreciate they were up against some of the best bowlers in the world but you're always going to have wickets in hand once you get off to a good start in a game of 20/20. As it happened, many of the Irish lads wound up playing conservative cricket against Murali and Mendis which only delayed their exits as opposed to allowing them to build good totals. Johnston had the right attitude and had he stayed in just a few minutes longer, I'm sure he would have had a very healthy strike rate.

Niall O'Brien clearly wasn't fit when we were batting - he should have had a runner on. He declined a few obvious 2s because he couldn't run quickly enough.

Some of the commentators were saying that Ireland were playing smart cricket but when it came to batting, I really think we could have been a lot more savvy.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

tackle-bag wrote:Yeah, they really were far too casual in the middle of the innings there today. I appreciate they were up against some of the best bowlers in the world but you're always going to have wickets in hand once you get off to a good start in a game of 20/20. As it happened, many of the Irish lads wound up playing conservative cricket against Murali and Mendis which only delayed their exits as opposed to allowing them to build good totals. Johnston had the right attitude and had he stayed in just a few minutes longer, I'm sure he would have had a very healthy strike rate.

Niall O'Brien clearly wasn't fit when we were batting - he should have had a runner on. He declined a few obvious 2s because he couldn't run quickly enough.

Some of the commentators were saying that Ireland were playing smart cricket but when it came to batting, I really think we could have been a lot more savvy.
Nob couldnt have had a runner as it was a pre-existing injury. Not allowed according to the laws. Missed the match as i was playing but god it looked quite close!
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

simonno6 wrote:
tackle-bag wrote:Yeah, they really were far too casual in the middle of the innings there today. I appreciate they were up against some of the best bowlers in the world but you're always going to have wickets in hand once you get off to a good start in a game of 20/20. As it happened, many of the Irish lads wound up playing conservative cricket against Murali and Mendis which only delayed their exits as opposed to allowing them to build good totals. Johnston had the right attitude and had he stayed in just a few minutes longer, I'm sure he would have had a very healthy strike rate.

Nob couldnt have had a runner as it was a pre-existing injury. Not allowed according to the laws. Missed the match as i was playing but god it looked quite close!
They think he could have had a runner as the injurt that caused him his limited movement came during the match. While I know he was carrying an injury both commentators were of the opinion that he could have got a runner. It was a 50/50, although I'm not even sure whether O'Brien looked for a runner
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

If it was the same ankle though it shouldnt have been allowed. He may have damaged it further but that is immaterial, the ankle was well below par before the game. I wouldnt have allowed it anyway! :D
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!