Flash Gordon wrote:
Colm wrote:
Eve wrote: I got them in the sweepstake here too. Happy Days :D
Not a bad way to start the weekend ...

- World Cup Opener today
- BBQ and England to be beaten tomorrow
- Tallica on Sunday

** This is THE LIFE **
You were doing so well till the last activity......
Its all right, he said Tallica, not Tallaght.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Colm
Mullet

Post by Colm »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Colm wrote:
Eve wrote: I got them in the sweepstake here too. Happy Days :D
Not a bad way to start the weekend ...

- World Cup Opener today
- Tallica on Sunday

** This is THE LIFE **
Now Now Flashy - PLAY NICE!
Colm
Mullet

Post by Colm »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
Colm wrote: Not a bad way to start the weekend ...

- World Cup Opener today
- Tallica on Sunday

** This is THE LIFE **
Its all right, he said Tallica, not Tallaght.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
LeinsterBabe
Mullet

Post by LeinsterBabe »

Just got Portugal and Ecuador in the work sweepstakes, so looks like I'll be supporting them. :roll:

Since the guy I despise got Brazil I'm now hoping they lose as quickly as possible. :evil:
rex banner
Mullet

Post by rex banner »

I've got the Argie Bargies in the sweepstake 8)
`````````\|||/
`````````(o o)
,--ooO-----(_)-------------l
| ```````PAINT ```````l
| ````````THE````````l
| `````` `RDS````````l
| ```````BLUE````````l
'--------------Ooo---------l
````````|__|__|
`````````||``||
````````ooO Ooo
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

As usual, the apathy in my group meant that we didn't get anything organized. :roll:

Anyhoo, I shall be supporting the Czech Republic
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:Paraguay
They'll be dancing in the streets of Asuncion with your support Duff.....
I'm 1/15th Paraguayayaianaiayian.
So you'll know their national anthem then....

"Looowwwww liiiieeeee the fields of Paraguay"
sexy_rexy
Rhys Ruddock

Post by sexy_rexy »

LeinsterBabe wrote:Just got Portugal and Ecuador in the work sweepstakes, so looks like I'll be supporting them. :roll:

Since the guy I despise got Brazil I'm now hoping they lose as quickly as possible. :evil:
Put money on Portugal, you should still get good odds and their my outside bet! Feel free to bring this post back to the fore after 9th July 8)
LeinsterBabe
Mullet

Post by LeinsterBabe »

sexy_rexy wrote:
LeinsterBabe wrote:Just got Portugal and Ecuador in the work sweepstakes, so looks like I'll be supporting them. :roll:

Put money on Portugal, you should still get good odds and their my outside bet! Feel free to bring this post back to the fore after 9th July 8)
Nah, I don't feel like risking any more money on them than the sweepstake €10. If I win for that great. I don't want to lose money on the same team two ways.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

I predict Holland to win and I'd like to see them do it. But family ties decree I'll be supporting Spain (until they get knocked out because they couldn't be ars*d/hate each other/believe the national team is an oxymoron as Spain is essentially a loose confederation of nation states/are totally overrated).
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

Argentina

(€20@ 8/1)

David Villa

(Top-scorer €20 @ 28/1)

I just so happen to be laid up with back trouble next week too. Physio in the morning followed by games at 2.00, 5.00 and 8.00. I feel better already. :)
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Duke Raoul wrote: I just so happen to be laid up with back trouble next week too. Physio in the morning followed by games at 2.00, 5.00 and 8.00. I feel better already. :)

Remind me again who was the only civil servant in the "What do you do" poll :wink:
A proud Winsome Fluter
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Duke Raoul wrote: I just so happen to be laid up with back trouble next week too. Physio in the morning followed by games at 2.00, 5.00 and 8.00. I feel better already. :)

Remind me again who was the only civil servant in the "What do you do" poll :wink:
I have already thanked you for your taxes. Keep them coming folks.

:lol:
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Duke Raoul wrote:Argentina

(€20@ 8/1)

David Villa

(Top-scorer €20 @ 28/1)

I just so happen to be laid up with back trouble next week too. Physio in the morning followed by games at 2.00, 5.00 and 8.00. I feel better already. :)
Lucky sod.....

David Villa is good value, but that's probably because it's unlikely the Golden Boot winner will come from a team that doesn't make it to at least the semis. Not sure Spain will get that far and it's possible Raul and Torres could play together in at least one game.... Does Villa take their pennos?

I'd go for one of RVN/Pauleta/Crespo. If i had to pick one, Crespo.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

jezzer wrote:

(€20@ 8/1)

David Villa

(Top-scorer €20 @ 28/1)

Lucky sod.....

David Villa is good value, but that's probably because it's unlikely the Golden Boot winner will come from a team that doesn't make it to at least the semis. Not sure Spain will get that far and it's possible Raul and Torres could play together in at least one game.... Does Villa take their pennos?

Crespo????? Stick to rugby Jezzer....... :wink:
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

jezzer wrote:

(€20@ 8/1)

David Villa

(Top-scorer €20 @ 28/1)

Lucky sod.....

Far from lucky Jezzer, I really am in quite a bit of pain here. For all that there is a pretty obvious silver lining here admittedly!

I went for Villa because of his form in la Liga, where he was second only to Eto'o in the charts, and for the fact that Spain share a group with Saudi Arabia and Tunisia. I'm hoping that he'll fill his boots Oleg Salenko style in the group.

Should Spain get through the first phase they are then paired with Group G, which will probably mean a tie against either France or Switzerland. Both are eminently beatable. So who knows...
Last edited by Duke Raoul on June 9th, 2006, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

[quote="Duke Raoul]Far from lucky Jezzer, I really am in quite a bit of pain here[/quote]

Sorry to hear that Dude. :(

As for Villa, it's a long price for a good striker. Hope you're right as I'm officially supporting Spain, but I have my doubts. Squad is full of guys like Joaquin, Luis Garcia, Iniesta, Reyes who flatter to deceive and guys who don't play for the team like Salgado, Raul. Still any team with Casillas, Puyol, Alonso and Xavi along the spine will do OK. If the coach had the balls to drop Raul and start Torres with Villa, I'd be more optimistic.
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

jezzer wrote:[quote="Duke Raoul]Far from lucky Jezzer, I really am in quite a bit of pain here

As for Villa, it's a long price for a good striker. Hope you're right as I'm officially supporting Spain, but I have my doubts. Squad is full of guys like Joaquin, Luis Garcia, Iniesta, Reyes who flatter to deceive and guys who don't play for the team like Salgado, Raul. Still any team with Casillas, Puyol, Alonso and Xavi along the spine will do OK. If the coach had the balls to drop Raul and start Torres with Villa, I'd be more optimistic.[/quote]

Cheers Jezzer.

The ubiquitous Graham Hunter has said that Spain will almost certainly adopt a 4-3-1-2 system (although they didn't in their final warm up game against Croatia). By his acoount the line up will look something like:

Cassilas; Salgado, Puyol, Pablo, Pernia; Albelda, X. Alonso, X. Hernandez; Raul; Torres, Villa.

Decent on paper of course, but I share your doubts.

jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Duke Raoul wrote:
jezzer wrote:[quote="Duke Raoul]Far from lucky Jezzer, I really am in quite a bit of pain here

As for Villa, it's a long price for a good striker. Hope you're right as I'm officially supporting Spain, but I have my doubts. Squad is full of guys like Joaquin, Luis Garcia, Iniesta, Reyes who flatter to deceive and guys who don't play for the team like Salgado, Raul. Still any team with Casillas, Puyol, Alonso and Xavi along the spine will do OK. If the coach had the balls to drop Raul and start Torres with Villa, I'd be more optimistic.
Cheers Jezzer.

The ubiquitous Graham Hunter has said that Spain will almost certainly adopt a 4-3-1-2 system (although they didn't in their final warm up game against Croatia). By his acoount the line up will look something like:

Cassilas; Salgado, Puyol, Pablo, Pernia; Albelda, X. Alonso, X. Hernandez; Raul; Torres, Villa.

Decent on paper of course, but I share your doubts.[/quote]

Wow! Don't see that working, but I'm not an international football manager (strangely enough). Very narrow? None of Albelda, Xavi, Alonso or Raul can give any width.... Would have thought Reyes or Garcia would start in a wide role, but there you go...
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Since i've gotten England in a draw today i guess i'll be up for them as well as the Ivory Coast