for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

T.C.B.
Seán Cronin

Mauler will be thrilled!!

Post by T.C.B. »

Real Entourage arrive in Ireland

13/07/2009 - 21:37:50

Cristiano Ronaldo touched down in Dublin tonight with his Real Madrid team-mates for a nine day training camp.

The 24-year-old, who transferred from Manchester United in a record-breaking £80m (€92m) summer signing, was part of a 65-strong group who flew in from Madrid shortly after 7pm.

Karim Benzema, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Gabriel Heinze, Wesley Sneijder and Arjen Robben were also among the entourage who were whisked away to the luxurious Carton House hotel in Co Kildare after boarding a bus on the runway of Dublin Airport. They will continue pre-season training there before playing a friendly against Shamrock Rovers next Monday.

Just a handful of disappointed fans waited for a glimpse of the team in the arrivals hall, but they were overshadowed by a large group of supporters who cheered Irish teenagers returning from World Youth Championships.

Lifelong fan Jarek Cienkusz, from Lublin in Poland, said he was surprised when nobody was at the airport.

“Now I realise it’s because they are not coming through,” said the 29-year-old who lives in Dublin.

“I’m disappointed I’m not going to get to see them, but I got tickets on ebay for the match. I paid 250 euro for two tickets.”

A spokesman for Shamrock Rovers said while they were excited about Ronaldo’s arrival, players were more concerned about the League of Ireland.

“We always believed Ronaldo was going to come, now it’s a question of whether the coach plays him next Monday night,” said John Byrne.

“We all feel very excited that one of the world’s greatest players is coming here, but we also have some important league games.

“At the end of the day this is a friendly against Real Madrid.

“It’s very much ’the circus is coming to town’. The league is still a priority for us.”

On Saturday second-placed Shamrock Rovers play Sligo Rovers and the following week they face Bohemians – who are currently top of the League.

But thousands of fans hope star attraction Ronaldo will be in the starting line-up against the south Dublin team at Tallaght Stadium.

Temporary seating was installed at the venue to increase capacity from a usual 3,000 to 10,200. The sell-out fixture will also be a massive boost to the club’s coffers, which has been hit by financial problems in recent years.

Tony Berney, founder of Tallaght Hoops supporters club, said the match is a scoop for the area as well as Shamrock Rovers.

“Next week’s game will have a fantastic atmosphere,” he said.

“It’s going to be hard obviously, but after all it is only a friendly game.

“I don’t want to rain on Ronaldo’s parade but as far as I’m concerned as a Rovers fan the priority is the league.”

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/real-e ... LBNa9HS0&D
"It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eye, then it's just fun you can't see" - James Hetfield
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Re: Mauler will be thrilled!!

Post by Mauler »

Ah, that explains the smell of hair spray and fake tan wafting down to the first tee on Monty.
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Mauler wrote:Ah, that explains the smell of hair spray and fake tan wafting down to the first tee on Monty.
You probably thought the Ospreys were in town :wink:
A proud Winsome Fluter
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

I read somewhere that there was a 5 mile wall around the complete estate. That should be long enough for you Mauler.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

Slipper1 wrote:I read somewhere that there was a 5 mile wall around the complete estate. That should be long enough for you Mauler.
Thats my kinda wall Slipper1! AK47 locked, loaded and ready to take out the Puff Ballers if they come near me tomorrow evening when I play a swift 9 après work.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Mauler wrote:
Slipper1 wrote:I read somewhere that there was a 5 mile wall around the complete estate. That should be long enough for you Mauler.
Thats my kinda wall Slipper1! AK47 locked, loaded and ready to take out the Puff Ballers if they come near me tomorrow evening when I play a swift 9 après work.
Given your standard Mauler, you could save bullets and just take them out with your wayward golf shots :D
Get in the f%~king bag.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

I was in Carton House last week when Newcastle were there. I met the Duffer, absolute gentleman, spent ages meeting fans.

I wouldn't get out of bed for that Portuguese ponce though
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

gfo wrote:I was in Carton House last week when Newcastle were there. I met the Duffer, absolute gentleman, spent ages meeting fans.

They are all ponces and should be spayed!
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Mauler wrote:
gfo wrote:I was in Carton House last week when Newcastle were there. I met the Duffer, absolute gentleman, spent ages meeting fans.

You're my boy Blue (Mauler in this case) :twisted:
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

tones wrote:
Mauler wrote:

You're my boy Blue (Mauler in this case) :twisted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=polnhn_NbgE
classic

can't mention old school without showing the best scene in the movie though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FgFIfs3cjc
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Speaking of stuff to get up Mauler's noice (and mine actually), I see Bohs fans are being searched for in relation to an elderly woman lying in a coma after being betean by 3 english speaking young male adluts. If true, brilliant stuff lads, puff-ball fans are so tuff!
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

Couple of people arrested for throwing rocks at Ronaldo. :lol:

Mauler?
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Leinster Zulu wrote:Couple of people arrested for throwing rocks at Ronaldo. :lol:

Mauler?
In this case they should be given freedom of the city
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

tones wrote:Speaking of stuff to get up Mauler's noice (and mine actually), I see Bohs fans are being searched for in relation to an elderly woman lying in a coma after being betean by 3 english speaking young male adluts. If true, brilliant stuff lads, puff-ball fans are so tuff!
its not bohs fans then. grunting and "wharra lukkin ah?" dont count as english