for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Kaiser Chief
Bookworm
Location: [loh-key-shuhn]a place of settlement, activity, or residence

The Open

Post by Kaiser Chief »

Anyone doing any bets?

I'm on Stricker and Mahan this week, Powers seem to be offering the best odds around although Boyles are paying 8 places!

Can't wait for it though, my favourite week of the year, even though I'm still in shock since the Duke informed me that it's ten years since Jean van de Velde's infamous visit to the Barry Burn. 10!!
AidanSloan
Knowledgeable

Re: The Open

Post by AidanSloan »

As sporting "head melts" go, I can't think of anything to top it.
AidanSloan
Knowledgeable

Post by AidanSloan »

AidanSloan wrote:As sporting "head melts" go, I can't think of anything to top it.
Well actually, there was Norman going into the last round of the Masters with a 6 shot lead and handing the lead to Faldo before they hit the back nine
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

Powers are the best price on Woods, but Laddies seem to have the best prices on most players. Just cant beat betfair though

Stricker for a top 8 finish with Boyles at 45's is a potential earner. There's gonna be tons of players tied at 6, 7 and 8
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

gfo wrote:Powers are the best price on Woods, but Laddies seem to have the best prices on most players. Just cant beat betfair though

Stricker for a top 8 finish with Boyles at 45's is a potential earner. There's gonna be tons of players tied at 6, 7 and 8
I don't really gamble so I don't know much about it but that seems nuts. If I put a tenner on Stricker coming in the top 8 I'd win e450? Or is there something I'm not understanding here.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

its 1/4 odds on each way bets.

basically if you put a tenner on stricker at 45 to 1, you walk away with about €120 if he finishes in the top eight.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

gfo wrote:its 1/4 odds on each way bets.

basically if you put a tenner on stricker at 45 to 1, you walk away with about €120 if he finishes in the top eight.
Ah right. Makes more sense. Thanks.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Yeah Boyles paying out 1-8 is impressive.

The Open has seen some players come in from the field, like Todd Hamilton and Ben Curtis, so I'm staying away.

A lot of money, each way, on Curtis at 55/1 and Levet at 125/1

It sounds ridiculous, but Harrington is rubbish value at 28s.

Apparently the last few times the Open has been held in Turnbury, the favourite has won.

Harrington is 15/8 to miss the cut.

If you don't want to get done with each way, or dead heats, the Insurebet 5 places is the best market for you. If your selection wins, you get the quoted odds (obviously less than the win or each way) but if he finises 2nd to 5th, you get your stake back. Goosen at 33?
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

padraig is 48s on betfair. suisse, you're with PP, right? you in the head office?
dipper
Knowledgeable

Post by dipper »

Martin Kaymer is 40-1 with Paddy Power. He's in red hot form at the moment. Worth a place bet I think.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

gfo wrote:padraig is 48s on betfair. suisse, you're with PP, right? you in the head office?
Yeah that's right. Head Office. Job dominated by sports, doesn't get any better. Are you in Paddys yourself?

Do you have an account anywhere? Spent time annoying Boyles, VC and Bet365. Strangely pleased with Stan James. Still think PP is by far the best with regards to markets, specials and the GP on all UK and Irish races
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

I was in the head office of an independent, fun times. I'm blacklisted on PP though, tried too many tricks. Spend most of my time on betfair now., usually best prices/markets
Stan James is by far the best for golf
Boyles has the best specials but the worst prices

never went near victor chandlers though, they any use? btw, any truth to the nightmare stories about working in the PP head office?
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

gfo wrote:I was in the head office of an independent, fun times. I'm blacklisted on PP though, tried too many tricks. Spend most of my time on betfair now., usually best prices/markets
Stan James is by far the best for golf
Boyles has the best specials but the worst prices

never went near victor chandlers though, they any use? btw, any truth to the nightmare stories about working in the PP head office?
I've a lot of respect for VC. They screwed me over big time, but they didn't give a sh!t. I know other firms would have backed down and given in to the customer, but VC were unflinching. I actually joined them because a friend has an account. It's one of the few companies he isn't restricted with because he's got his horse racing in order, but we did that refer a friend thing. As far as I can remember, the only contact with VC is by e-mail, and it takes up to 48 working days for a response to a query. So I was mailing them with a free bet query on my account, and by the time they responded, the bet was out of date. They're a gas bunch. I'll never touch them again though. Under the impression they're struggling badly in Ireland (only PP are still opening new shops, other firms are locking up) and some people are getting offers to move to Spain instead. Apparently they are Europe's biggest gamblers. I heard the ESP desk in Sportingbet, Park West, is rocking.
Boyles' site is a joke, especially when BIR

Nightmare stories? Not that I know of. It's a quality place to work, really. If you like your sports, I'd imagine there are few better jobs apart being the main sports writer of a broadsheet. On-line and over the phone turnover is up 31%, despite the recession, which is extraordinary.
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Newstalk's "Off the Ball" programme had a pundit on it called Bob Bubkta and he predicted that Lucas Glover would win the U.S. Open. Lot of listeners were on it at 200 & 250/1. Anybody know who Bob went for this time? :?:
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

John23 wrote:Newstalk's "Off the Ball" programme had a pundit on it called Bob Bubkta and he predicted that Lucas Glover would win the U.S. Open. Lot of listeners were on it at 200 & 250/1. Anybody know who Bob went for this time? :?:
Tiger Woods and an outside bet and Steve Stricker (I think) who shot -4 yesterday!
Get in the f%~king bag.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

so far there's 13 guys tied for top eight. great news for boyles!!

betting on woods to win a major is like betting on NZ to win the WC; they're both the best in terms of talent, but don't reflect it in no. of wins.
i see the shark can finally retire now too
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

John23 wrote:Newstalk's "Off the Ball" programme had a pundit on it called Bob Bubkta and he predicted that Lucas Glover would win the U.S. Open. Lot of listeners were on it at 200 & 250/1. Anybody know who Bob went for this time? :?:
The two lads heavily backed are both out. Ben Curtis had an 80 today??? :shock: Levet needs a rake of closing birdies to stay in touch. Paul Casey is gone too. John Daly is safely through

Never consider backing Woods until Saturday night. He has never lost a Major leading going into Sunday, and has never won a Major coming from behind. If he's 2 clear by tomorrow, his odds will be unbackable, but it's the only time I'd even consider him. One of the lads in work has Ryo Ishikawa e/w at 500/1. he's -2 now
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

make sure he buys you a drink! i thought i was great with stricker at 48s
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

the paddy power team is youtube famous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QnlW6-Dz44