Thought not!
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
ckav
Seán Cronin

Re: Roy Keane Retires

Post by ckav »

sarah_lennon wrote:Anybody care?

Thought not!
thought he retired at the end of Celtic's season?
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

ckav wrote:

Thought not!
Couldn't give a fock. Mattered to me when he played for Ireland, but being a big Inverness Caley Thistle fan, I'm glad he won't be playing next year.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Flash Gordon wrote:
ckav wrote:

Thought not!
Couldn't give a fock. Mattered to me when he played for Ireland, but being a big Inverness Caley Thistle fan, I'm glad he won't be playing next year.
Ross County all the way :P
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

ckav wrote:

Thought not!
"Officially" declared today what everyone knew. Could barely tolerate the man when he was at Manure, but because he seemed to be Ireland's only genuinely world class player I did.

After Saipan, he became a joke and was shooting his mouth off without actually being able to deliver anything on the pitch.
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
sexy_rexy
Rhys Ruddock

Post by sexy_rexy »

I just hope the scum-bag doesn't become a pundit, It would make my eyes blead to see him and Dunphy talking sh1te and giving each other slaps on the back
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

For me, Roy Keane will always be the man who let an Englishman stop him from leading his country at the world cup.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

sexy_rexy wrote:I just hope the scum-bag doesn't become a pundit, It would make my eyes blead to see him and Dunphy talking sh1te and giving each other slaps on the back
doubt it - after the MUTV fiasco - he'd be sued in a week
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Who?
I have Bumbleflex
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Avenger wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
ckav wrote: thought he retired at the end of Celtic's season?
Sheep shagger..... :wink:
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Avenger wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote: Couldn't give a fock. Mattered to me when he played for Ireland, but being a big Inverness Caley Thistle fan, I'm glad he won't be playing next year.
Sheep shagger..... :wink:
Where?
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

I care a lot.
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

epaddy wrote:I care a lot.
Big Celtic fan are you ePaddy?
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

Flash Gordon wrote:
epaddy wrote:I care a lot.
Big Celtic fan are you ePaddy?
Oh yeh

this is a picture of me and the crew heading over to Celtic park for a game

*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Today's indo

Post by jezzer »

Great piece and an excellent analogy with Scott's expedition...

Turning his back on the green jersey will overshadow memories of Roy
Tuesday June 13th 2006
ADVERTISEMENT

AS heroic and poignant departures go, this one has to top the list. Captain Titus Oates, realising his weak condition and immobility were hindering his companions' chances of survival, took a final look around and informed them he was going outside and "may be some time". With that, Oates staggered out of the tent into temperatures of -45 degrees to embrace the howling Antarctic blizzard and his own death.

Captain Scott's bid to reach the South Pole in 1912 was characterised by poor planning and mismanagement of resources.

While the Nowegian expedition led by Roald Amundsen relied on the durable qualities of the husky dog to drag them to glory, Scott's party insisted on the use of ponies and, when those unfortunate creatures inevitably succumbed to the cold, their own English muscle. Yet, no-one abandoned the mission, even when they realised, while still a good distance from their goal, that Amundsen had beaten them to it.

Though the expedition was irredeemably flawed from the outset, pride and honour were the dominant emotions driving them on - combined with a large dollop of patriotic fervour.

Ninety years later, when Ireland's footballers set out on their march to the World Cup in Japan and Korea, they laboured under a similar burden of shoddy preparation and lack of foresight.

Yet, their captain, rather than toughing it out and stifling his frustration until after the conclusion of their attempt, abandoned the expedition at base camp. He just went home. It is customary when great players step down from competitive action to embark on an orgy of eulogy. And, following Roy Keane's retirement yesterday, there has been a long queue of admirers tripping over each other in their eagerness to stack up the superlatives at the gates of Camp Keano.

However, amid the deluge of devotion, the word 'Saipan' is inescapable. It is such a pity that a footballer who contributed so much to the teams he played for should be remembered for, whatever the Keane acolytes may argue, letting his country down.

This debate has ricocheted around the nation's hostelries for four years and will never arrive at a point of unanimity. However, given the day that's in it, we will break it down one more time.

Ireland's captain undeniably had every reason to be disgruntled ahead of the 2002 World Cup. From the dancing leprechauns bidding the squad farewell at Dublin Airport to the absence of acceptable facilities when they touched down in Saipan, the whole affair reeked of amateurism. Throw into the mix the tensions between Keane and various members of the party, most notably manager Mick McCarthy, and it was a situation waiting to erupt.

However, this is where we deviate from Keane's chosen course of action. No matter how strong the sense of injustice,the players had a duty to the country they were representing. That is the key point, irrespective of who was right in the Keane v McCarthy showdown, if you choose not to play for your country you dishonour the millions who will never have that chance.

If you have a problem, you bite your bloody tongue until it's all over and then try and improve matters.

Throughout the 1990s, the Irish rugby team was a joke on and off the pitch. IRFU blazerdom, with all its petty provincial trappings, held sway and players, even after the advent of professionalism in 1995, received precious little support with heavy beatings a regular, and inevitable, occurrence. Former Ireland coach Murray Kidd tells a story regarding an international trip to Paris. The players flew over steerage while IRFU officials and their partners sat quaffing wine in first class.

Then, when the team and officials got to their hotel, the players (laden down with bags) were forced to use the stairs to get to their bedrooms because the lifts were jammed with blazers and their fur-clad wives. There was huge disenchantment among the players at the way they were treated and it was the likes of Keith Wood and Mick Galwey who agitated behind the scenes for the changes which paved the way for the success Ireland has enjoyed post-2000.

However, despite repeated losses and a heightening sense of frustration, the thought of not playing for their country would never have occurred to these men.

Unlike Keane. Alf Inge Haaland aside, Keane's performances on the pitch were beyond reproach in terms of skill and commitment and he deserves to be remembered as one of the best players ever to don the green. The sad reality is that the clearest memory will be of the time he chose not to.

Hugh Farrelly
Oscar
Mullet

Post by Oscar »

Jezzer,

Bang on.

Liam Brady never walked out on Ireland after much worse treatment than Keane got. Great player. World class @rsehole.
cj
Graduate

Post by cj »

Duff Paddy wrote:For me, Roy Keane will always be the man who let an Englishman stop him from leading his country at the world cup.
You referring to Mick?
I will remember Keano as a great player for Ireland. His performance against Italy at WC '94 was unbelievable. Pity about Saipan but I would have done the same, especially if the other lads weren't taking it seriously enough.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

We could have gotten to a Semi-Final at that world cup with Keano on the pitch. That would have done more for the development of the sport in Ireland than 10 Genesis reports.

Oh well, soccer's loss was rugby's gain I guess.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

cj wrote:His performance against Italy at WC '94 was unbelievable.
His performances against Holland and Portugal (particularly Portugal) in Lansdowne road on the way to WC 2002 were absolutely awesome.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
rex banner
Mullet

Post by rex banner »

With the retirement of Keano from football the person/animal I feel sorry for is his dog. He will have to go on many more of those marathon walks, poor fellah will be knackered.
`````````\|||/
`````````(o o)
,--ooO-----(_)-------------l
| ```````PAINT ```````l
| ````````THE````````l
| `````` `RDS````````l
| ```````BLUE````````l
'--------------Ooo---------l
````````|__|__|
`````````||``||
````````ooO Ooo