4-in-a-row

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Avenger
Seán Cronin

Re: 4-in-a-row

Post by Avenger »

Broken Wing wrote:Have to disagree with you there Avenger. The hurlers from Westmeath and Carlow win the Christy Ring every year but are not allowed compete for their own provincial title while Galway and Antrim can compete for it? How is hurling in Carlow or Westmeath a winner there? It's not Westmeath or Carlow's fault that Derry can't put it up to Antrim yet, at a time when there's a bit of a resurgence in hurling in both Westmeath and Carlow they are are being punished for it.
I know its taken a while but they are getting there. Carlow will be in the Leinster championship next season. I personally don't believe there should be a provincial championship in hurling. Leinster had been uncompetitive. Connaght even less so. Ulster sometimes throws up a shock and Derry win but rarely. I'd be on for dropping them and having an open draw, whether it be knock out or group phase followed by knock outs. I just don't believe the current format does anything for the sport.
Broken Wing wrote:Delighted for Kilkenny. I see no arrogance in the Kilkenny supporters I know.

Like others in this thread have said, I'll always cheer a Leinster county, even (EastWest)Meath, over a county from another province.
Likewise I haven't seen much evidence of the Kilkenny fans arrogance but I won't tell someone that it doesn't exist when they believe it does. I can only speak for myself. Not for the masses.

Any of the guys I was talking to yesterday coming out of Croke park were full of praise for Tipperary and most were saying that yesterday will bring them on and that this Tipp team has at least one All Ireland in them. Not the voice of arrogance IMO. Anyway, we'll move on ;)

I've had a hectic summer so missed a lot of the championship. I know that Antrim lost the "relegation" match. Does this mean that they are in the Christy Ring next year in place of Carlow or are they still in the Leinster championship?
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Avenger wrote:I've had a hectic summer so missed a lot of the championship. I know that Antrim lost the "relegation" match. Does this mean that they are in the Christy Ring next year in place of Carlow or are they still in the Leinster championship?
IIRC, when Antrim and Galway joined the Leinster Championship, they were given exemption from relegation for 2-3 years, probably as nobody expected Carlow or Westmeath to win the Christy Ring.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Why is it the Irish way to want to see fail those that are very successful?

Kilkenny were and probably are the only sporting example on this island of a team that consistently excels over decades and who revel in the favourites tag. It is an incredible sports institution that turns out - year after year - hurlers of a quality every other county can only dream about. If Leinster rugby had just won four HECs in a row - we might be a little smug and all. KK has a winning mentality that is rare in most countries and sports but in Ireland it's non-existant outside of their camp. Neither the rugby provinces nor Kerry football nor the Rep of Ireland soccer team can come close.

Maybe the closest rugby analogy is Blackrock College. Not everyone's favourite school, but you have to applaud their success.

On a side note, I read an interview with one of the players who had a great insight into Cody's thinking: Ran along the lines of: "Brian tells us that every hook of a hurl or toe to a ball could the the little thing that turns the game for us". It's a wonderful way of instilling attention to detail in players, that each little positive thing they are in a position to do on a pitch could have a decisive consequence on the outcome and they'll only know if they do it.

I admire Kilkenny enormously and I love seeing thm win. That's not just a Leinster thing.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

They messed up the relegation so Carlow go up and nobody goes down.

I see no reason why Carlow, Antrim, Laois and Westmeath couldn't play a round robin as the preliminary rounds of Leinster.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
exiledinmunster
Beginner

Post by exiledinmunster »

Avenger wrote:Some people get very touchy about Leinster people supporting Munster.
I don't see why would you support another provinces teams unless you had a connection to them.

I'm not from Dublin or Meath but wanted them to win after the Leinster championship as they were Leinster teams.
Leinster football hasn't won an All Ireland since 96 so I would love to see any Leinster team win it.

You must have missed the 1999 Final. Big congratulations to Kilkenny on a fantastic achievement. :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Couple of points.

Fair play for mentioning Carlow/Westmeath/Christy Ring. Some crackin' hurling there over the last 3+ years (that would put some provincial 1st tier finals to shame.

Relegation. Still not officially dealt with. A nightmare that could easily have been solved. Just a question of who promised what to who, and how much weight that promise carries. But "offfical" promises will be broken.

Kilkenny. Awesome team. Every year. Well deserved the 4-in-a-row and were the best team by a distance each of those years.

Ref. Was right to let the game flow. The bigger picture debate about hurling getting too aggressive (which does need to be addressed .. especially the creeping in of slightly more sinister fouling like interfering with head gear and so on) isn't down to 1 ref at 1 match and it would have been very inconsistent refereeing had he stopped for every foul. Inconsistent over the season, not him personally.

The penalty. Definitely the killing of the game. It seemed KK had given up on risking goals at that stage and were happy to pop points. Tipp were outscoring them, a man down and then get a penalty which should never have been given (because there were 2 fouls leading up to the penalty, and because the same thing had happened at least 3 times in the 2nd half, down at the other end. 2 of them inside the box). I still think KK would have won, but just about. The score flattered them. Tipp deserved the chance to compete (especially after showing such resolve when going down to 14). With a bit of luck (maybe a goal chance?) they could have won and would have deserved it. More likely KK would have done the deed, but Tipp deserved that chance. That incorrect decision killed the game.

Arrogance. It was Clare in the mid nineties, Cork at the turn of the century, and KK ever since. Bandwagoners who overshadow the loyal support. Nothing worse than a "supporter" who goes to 2 or 3 games a year and does nothing but vent at opposition supporters. It's there in KK now, but that's just par for the course.

Provincial loyalty. Not cut'n'dry. Local rivalries can get in the way. Plus, most of us (especially the dubs) have generational affiliation (is that even a phrase??!) with other counties of which province is not a factor. But for neutrals who have no affiliation to either county, I can understand the province thing. I don't think there are too many of those, though.

Finally, we should just stop interviewing Coady. He *NEVER* has anything to say, other than cliches and middle-of-the-road stuff!! An absolute legend who commands a lot of respect (not something other inter-county managers tend to enjoy).. but just give us *SOMETHING* to work with in the interviews!! At least he's not Davy Fitz-esque in interviews, I guess; I should be grateful!

Congrats to the decade's best team by a country mile.
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Living here in Cork its noticeable that none of The Natives here had a good word to say for Kilkenny before, during or after the game.

They really don't like it here that Kilkenny have equalled Cork's four-in-a-row and that they are further ahead in the list of all-time winners.

They should change the colour of teh county shirt from red to green for jealousy!!
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Exile wrote:They really don't like it here that Kilkenny have equalled Cork's four-in-a-row and that they are further ahead in the list of all-time winners.
Well, considering that Cork had won 6 before Kilkenny won their first... Kilkenny have won 32 since and Cork only 24 ;)

Tell them that :D
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Arrogance. It was Clare in the mid nineties, Cork at the turn of the century, and KK ever since. Bandwagoners who overshadow the loyal support. Nothing worse than a "supporter" who goes to 2 or 3 games a year and does nothing but vent at opposition supporters. It's there in KK now, but that's just par for the course.
Cork never stopped!! Hard to listen to them lads!
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Armchair wrote:Cork never stopped!! Hard to listen to them lads!
LOL, have to agree! But then, they definitely have the most non-champion travelling supporters. Actually scrap that (KK don't travel, unless it's final day). Cork have the best travelling support, so there'll always be a higher percentage of undesirables.

And I misspelt poor Brian's name above. Sorry, Mr Cody. This, after I giggled and scoffed at the banner (show a few times on TV) that misspelt his name (and Michael Lyster highlighted it at CityWest hotel). Suitably embarrassed! I see Brian has book coming out. I wonder how much he's prepared to say (given he's the current manager, and his unblemished politically correct interview record)!
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

meinster wrote:I see Brian has book coming out. I wonder how much he's prepared to say (given he's the current manager, and his unblemished politically correct interview record)!
I'm looking forward to it. Esp if he covers the disagreement between himself and Charlie Carter around the time Charlie was replaced. Hopefully there'll be a few stories like that.
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Avenger wrote:Esp if he covers the disagreement between himself and Charlie Carter around the time Charlie was replaced. Hopefully there'll be a few stories like that.
Yeah I wonder how much insider stuff there'll be (given that he's still the manager, and a very private one at that). There'll have to be a few gems in there, I guess.