4-in-a-row

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Avenger
Seán Cronin

4-in-a-row

Post by Avenger »

Can't believe there's no thread congratulating the Cats yet.
Fantastic achievement.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Re: 4-in-a-row

Post by tackle-bag »

Avenger wrote:Can't believe there's no thread congratulating the Cats yet.
Maybe it's because they're so insufferably arrogant. I have no real hurling allegiances but I was firmly up for Tipp yesterday. Typical Irish sports team though - they got victory within their sights, panicked and stopped playing. Fair enough, the penalty decision was a farce but that was no excuse to completely lose all composure.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

tackle-bag wrote:I have no real hurling allegiances but I was firmly up for Tipp yesterday.
Yet you probably have a problem with Leinster folk supporting Munster?

You obviously don't know any of the team if you think they are arrogant.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

it was a good match, tipp kept them close the whole way, but kk won deservedly.

I don't get the Leinster/Munster comment. Are we supposed to support all Leinster GAA teams over teams from the other provinces?
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Well done The Cats.

Arrogant? dont think so, maybe just "insufferably" good.

I support teams from Leinster ahead of other teams, but from now on we have the possibility of Galway being the Leinster champions
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Some people get very touchy about Leinster people supporting Munster.
I don't see why would you support another provinces teams unless you had a connection to them.

I'm not from Dublin or Meath but wanted them to win after the Leinster championship as they were Leinster teams.
Leinster football hasn't won an All Ireland since 96 so I would love to see any Leinster team win it.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

olaf the fat wrote:I support teams from Leinster ahead of other teams, but from now on we have the possibility of Galway being the Leinster champions
I think that was a great move. It strengthens the Leinster championship and gives Galway and Antrim more competitive games before the All Ireland series. Hurling was the winner.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Avenger wrote:
tackle-bag wrote:I have no real hurling allegiances but I was firmly up for Tipp yesterday.
Yet you probably have a problem with Leinster folk supporting Munster?

You obviously don't know any of the team if you think they are arrogant.
I don't think the 'Lunster' rugby debate can by any means be transferred onto Gaelic Games. Besides, even if it can, KK's only lasting contribution to rugby in the past decade has been a Munster stalwart.

I've only met a few of the KK players over the years and, to be fair, they weren't the worst of sorts. I wouldn't describe them as bastions of modesty by the same token. What I was really referring to, and I apologise for not being clearer, were the fans. They have this idea down there that the team are like the High Kings, above the law. I know from a professional context of a number of incidents of KK panelists getting away with all sorts of mischief. It reminds me of that old Father Ted quote: "There was a time in this country when the police used to be friends of the Church - speeding fines quashed, drink-driving charges struck out... even a blind eye turned to the odd murder!"
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

I have to say, don't give a toss about other Leinster counties when it comes to GAA. Basically Leinster is a rugby only thing for me, there's no real sense of a united province in anything else
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

tackle-bag wrote:What I was really referring to, and I apologise for not being clearer, were the fans. They have this idea down there that the team are like the High Kings, above the law.
All successful teams have fans like that.
We are European champions. In the next 9 seasons, if Leinster were to win 6 more Heineken cups, do you honestly believe that there wouldn't be a section of the Leinster support that would not be short in the "confidence" department?

Hurling is everything in Kilkenny so the players probably are worshiped but I don't see how that is a bad thing.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Saw a fantastic tee shirt on Saturday

'Carlsberg don't do hurling teams but if they did ......

.... Kilkenny would beat the shite out of them!'

Well done the Cats.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Avenger wrote:
tackle-bag wrote:What I was really referring to, and I apologise for not being clearer, were the fans. They have this idea down there that the team are like the High Kings, above the law.
All successful teams have fans like that.
We are European champions. In the next 9 seasons, if Leinster were to win 6 more Heineken cups, do you honestly believe that there wouldn't be a section of the Leinster support that would not be short in the "confidence" department?

Hurling is everything in Kilkenny so the players probably are worshiped but I don't see how that is a bad thing.
Even if we were to achieve that, I can't see BOD being waved through a drink-driving checkpoint while 12 pints deep. That's exactly the kind of stuff that goes on down in KK, as I was alluding to earlier.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

gfo wrote:I have to say, don't give a toss about other Leinster counties when it comes to GAA. Basically Leinster is a rugby only thing for me, there's no real sense of a united province in anything else

Many years ago meath were playing the SF after beating dublin. I asked my father why he was shouting for meath, he replied I'am a Leinster man and they are a Leinster team. This has stuck with me since, but like everybody else I have links to different counties and provinces
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

I hoped the Cats won just liked I hoped Meath beat Kerry the other week.

Leinster over Munster every day.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

It was a magnificent sporting occasion. A real privilege to be there. Two of my closest friends from college are from Tipp so I was rooting for them. However that Kilkenny panel deserve to be recognised as one of the greatest teams of all time and wining 4-in-a-row gives them that recognition.

Well done the cats

:happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Caught the 2nd half on TV. They dug it out well, I thought that Tipp were starting to pull away and then 2 quick goals killed the game.

Crowd control needs some work though!
A proud Winsome Fluter
Leinster_Lily
Learner

Post by Leinster_Lily »

Not really a hurling fan, but I thought it was a very dirty game. A good few shoulders/elbows to the head/chest that should have been dealt with by the ref early on. A lot of the pundits etc didn't want to talk about this as Hurling really needed a good final (apparently) and they didn't want anything to take away from a competitive match.
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

Leinster_Lily wrote:Not really a hurling fan, but I thought it was a very dirty game. A good few shoulders/elbows to the head/chest that should have been dealt with by the ref early on. A lot of the pundits etc didn't want to talk about this as Hurling really needed a good final (apparently) and they didn't want anything to take away from a competitive match.
Nothing wrong with a bit of needle.

Oh, and Plan B :lol:
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

It was a great occasion but the ref for me was very poor.
The Sunday game guys didn't "analyze" it but the Tipp defenders were let away with murder in the first half. How Shefflins jersey was still in one piece at half time I don't know as his marker was ripping at it all game. There was also a lot of defenders holding the attackers hurlies which the ref let go.
I suppose he was trying to let it flow but a foul is a foul. If that game was reffed properly in the first half, Kilkenny would have been more than 2 points up.
Tipp were outstanding for the first 10 to 15 minutes of the second half and looked like they could go on to win it but a few things happened. The sending off gave Kilkenny an extra man and Martin Comerford was brought on and Kilkenny started winning more ball from puck outs.
It was a great game but I don't think that hurling needed a great final. They say that every year.

A good year for hurling IMO. Tipp played really well which is what made the final. Waterford and Limerick were perhaps overawed by the occasion in the previous finals. They say you have to lose one to learn how to win one so maybe they'll use yesterday to inspire them on to winning it next year or the year after. Kilkenny will have to lose eventually. There'd be no shame in losing to a team as good as the team they played yesterday.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Avenger wrote:
olaf the fat wrote:I support teams from Leinster ahead of other teams, but from now on we have the possibility of Galway being the Leinster champions
I think that was a great move. It strengthens the Leinster championship and gives Galway and Antrim more competitive games before the All Ireland series. Hurling was the winner.
Have to disagree with you there Avenger. The hurlers from Westmeath and Carlow win the Christy Ring every year but are not allowed compete for their own provincial title while Galway and Antrim can compete for it? How is hurling in Carlow or Westmeath a winner there? It's not Westmeath or Carlow's fault that Derry can't put it up to Antrim yet, at a time when there's a bit of a resurgence in hurling in both Westmeath and Carlow they are are being punished for it.

The hurlers from Mayo, Roscommo and Derry don't even have a provincial competition anymore. Sure, they may be muck compared to Galway or Antrim but they field teams in the league every year so why not let them hammer out their provincial title without the big guns instead of just giving them the other cups to compete in? It's not like there's not a spare weekend or two for them to use. The Ring and Rackard cups finished months ago.

Delighted for Kilkenny. I see no arrogance in the Kilkenny supporters I know.

Like others in this thread have said, I'll always cheer a Leinster county, even (EastWest)Meath, over a county from another province.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!