NFL

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Avenger
Seán Cronin

Re: NFL

Post by Avenger »

One sparrow doesn't make a summer. Lovie's final season in Chicago starts with a win however.
The Cards struggled to beat the worst team in football... Didn't watch the 49ers/Hawks game but what little I did see of it was poor.

Must go watch the highlights of the Cards/Rams game to see how Sam did apart from the interceptions.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

I'll see your sparrows and summers and raise you a "tús maith, leath na h-oibre".*

*"A good start is half the work" for those who don't speak Irish
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

I hope Da Bears do have a good season.
I like both Lovie Smith (did a great job as D coach in St Louis) and Mad Mike Martz (for the greatest show on turf).
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Good win for the Pats. Fins were very comfortable against the Bills - our brand new defence looking very good. We left a Marshall TD, two pick 6s and a FG out on the field, otherwise the score would have looked very different. Henne definitely being eased in this season - a lok of dink and dunk 6 yard screen passes. Hopefully we'll open up a bit on offense as the season progresses (though with Dan Henning as OC I have my doubts). Ronnie Brown is looking good for a very productive year (or number of months before a season-ending injury).

How bout them Texans? great result - 3 TDs and one of the greatest RB performances in NFL history from an undrafted guy nobody ever heard of. All that against the mighty Colts. Shows you how random the draft system can really be.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

jezzer wrote:Good win for the Pats. Fins were very comfortable against the Bills - our brand new defence looking very good. We left a Marshall TD, two pick 6s and a FG out on the field, otherwise the score would have looked very different. Henne definitely being eased in this season - a lok of dink and dunk 6 yard screen passes. Hopefully we'll open up a bit on offense as the season progresses (though with Dan Henning as OC I have my doubts). Ronnie Brown is looking good for a very productive year (or number of months before a season-ending injury).

How bout them Texans? great result - 3 TDs and one of the greatest RB performances in NFL history from an undrafted guy nobody ever heard of. All that against the mighty Colts. Shows you how random the draft system can really be.
i refer you to #199 of the 2000 draft and #1 from 2007.
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Rumours were the Jets were looking at the boul' JaMarcus. I would have loved that - the one guy who eats more burgers than Rex Ryan.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

jezzer wrote:Rumours were the Jets were looking at the boul' JaMarcus. I would have loved that - the one guy who eats more burgers than Rex Ryan.

as a pats fan i would have loved that. According to his wiki he's still listed as a free agent, who in god's name would sign him? Except the raiders, but even they let him go!! CFL maybe?
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

jezzer wrote:Rumours were the Jets were looking at the boul' JaMarcus. I would have loved that - the one guy who eats more burgers than Rex Ryan.
I've been on the Jets forum all summer and that notion never got an airing......never a chance he was coming anywhere near us. The guy's an absolute joke.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

[quote="tate"]TB and co getting it done. Only first game of the season i know but the pats running game seemed more potent than in recent years (arguably since dillon retired). Defence seemed a bit meaner too. I know the bengals came back into it, but i thought the rookie CB McCourty did well against ocho cinqo and in the first half we didnt give them sh!t. Roll on week two!![/quote]

Indeed, I'll be there in person myself and giving "Brady the lady" plenty of socks when he's on the field. :wink: Big game.....always is, but to be there in the flesh will be special. :)
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Avenger wrote:I hope Da Bears do have a good season.
I like both Lovie Smith (did a great job as D coach in St Louis) and Mad Mike Martz (for the greatest show on turf).
Go on the Bears!!!

'America's Game' better get ready!!! :wink:
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

nelly the elephant wrote:
I've been on the Jets forum all summer and that notion never got an airing......never a chance he was coming anywhere near us. The guy's an absolute joke.
It was only tentative, but too good a story to pass up on!

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-yorkjets/po ... um=twitter

The growing pains of Sanchez and Henne continue. Hard to know which - if either of them - will make it.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

jezzer wrote:
nelly the elephant wrote:
It was only tentative, but too good a story to pass up on!

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-yorkjets/po ... um=twitter

The growing pains of Sanchez and Henne continue. Hard to know which - if either of them - will make it.
I was surprised at the Dolphins' struggles in Buffalo.....apparrently ye murdered 'em but couldn't get the points on the board. I could see Penny get back in there if Henne doesn't improve. Watched MNF last night, what a killer. To give up 120 yeards on 13 peno's and be on the field for as long as we were,for the D to hold the Ravens to only 10 points was frankly miraculous. Our offence was shocking though but I'd blame Schottenheimer(OC) more than I'd blame Sanchez. At least he didn't try to force it in there when the pass clearly wasn't on......a particular problem for him last season. LT looked very good I have to say,looks like he DOES have plenty left to offer,though not obviously as an every down back.

There's a fair bit of trepidation now for my trip to the Big apple this weekend!
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

I've been a fair-weather fan of NFL for a good few years now. Just looked at this thread for the first time, it seems there are a lot of people on this forum who are really into it. Anyway, I'm heading to the Jets v. Patriots (I refuse to go in for this whole Patriots at Jets nonsense) on Sunday. I absolutely cannot wait!
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

nelly the elephant wrote: Our offence was shocking though but I'd blame Schottenheimer(OC) more than I'd blame Sanchez. At least he didn't try to force it in there when the pass clearly wasn't on......a particular problem for him last season.
I think both OCs are easing in their pick-prone QBs. Henning is getting shellacked by Fins fans for his ultra-conservative dink and dunk philosophy, but for once I think he's right to keep Henne on a short leash until the mojo starts to flow. Can only presume the same is being done to Sanchez. Neither looked great in preseason, by all accounts.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

tackle-bag wrote:I've been a fair-weather fan of NFL for a good few years now. Just looked at this thread for the first time, it seems there are a lot of people on this forum who are really into it. Anyway, I'm heading to the Jets v. Patriots (I refuse to go in for this whole Patriots at Jets nonsense) on Sunday. I absolutely cannot wait!
I'm meeting with a bunch of guys from the Jets fans forum for a tailgate party before the game,you'd be more than welcome to join us. PM me if you want to drop by,exchange contact numbers?
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Bears beat the Cowboys! 2 for 2!
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

pats were muck last night. Sky were right, the hallmarks of the superbowl winning teams were brilliant D, good running and when we needed it passing. We just dont have a good enough D now. Looks like another "building" season
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Broken Wing wrote:Bears beat the Cowboys! 2 for 2!
Da Bears!!!!!!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d32OeqbYbHg
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

49ers starting this game like they finished the last one. Holding penalty calls back a good return, centre snaps the ball right over Smith's head for a safety and then basically no defence for the Saints first touchdown. Could be a long night.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Saints win. Fantastic dramatic finish. 49ers score a late touchdown, get the 2 point conversion to draw level and Saints have a last gasp field goal to win. False start followed by the kick being tipped but somehow limping over anyway.