NFL

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Re: NFL

Post by Lamb of BOD »

Holy hell. The Giants just released Steve Weatherford. It's a mad world we live in, Probably trying to free up some money to bring in a saftey or a lineman
rosscarrick
Knowledgeable

Post by rosscarrick »

No surprises with some of the cuts - like Tebow.
But Terence West (2nd rounder) and Reggie Wayne?

Nice to see Hayne making the 53 in San Fran.
The French are predictably unpredictable
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Lamb of BOD wrote:Holy hell. The Giants just released Steve Weatherford. It's a mad world we live in, Probably trying to free up some money to bring in a saftey or a lineman
Yep, something like $2.2 million of cap space saved..... still....... could be risky?
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

For a lark here's my season prediction. I'll reserve the right to revisit once we've seen some play, Playoff teams in bold

AFC East
New England
Miami
Buffalo
NY Jets

AFC South
Indianapolis
Houston
Jacksonville
Tennessee

AFC North
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Cinncinnatti
Cleveland

AFC West
Denver
Kansas City
San Diego
Oakland

NFC East
Dallas
Philadelphia
New York Football Giants
Washington

NFC South
Atlanta
New Orleans
Carolina
Tampa Bay

NFC North
Green Bay
Minnesota
Detroit
Chicago

NFC West
Seattle
San Fransisco
Arizona
St Louis
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Lamb of BOD wrote:

On another note, the Babbling Brook fantasy league is now active again as the Bear aims to defend her title. Log on to http://fantasy.nfluk.com/uksalarycap/leagues to play. League Name is: Babbling Brook. League Password is: Leinster. The more the merrier. For those who haven't played before, it's a week-to-week selection with a salary cap rather than a draft league
Bump! For all those who haven't entered yet, the season kicks off tonight... its all a good bit of fun and gives you an interest in all sorts of games outside your team's division/conference. Go on, have a go!
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

I've just seen the very disappointing news that Channel 4 have lost the NFL rights to BBC who will show a massive 4 live games this season. The 4 games are the 3 London games and the Superbowl. They'll also have a highlights show starting in November.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

Broken Wing wrote:I've just seen the very disappointing news that Channel 4 have lost the NFL rights to BBC who will show a massive 4 live games this season. The 4 games are the 3 London games and the Superbowl. They'll also have a highlights show starting in November.
I subscribe to Game Pass. To me it's definitely worth it. If you're subscribing, there's probably no point in taking the full year package as the post season is all blacked-out (i.e. you can't watch it until 24 or 48 hours after the original Sky broadcast). But you get to watch any and all regular season games - up to 4 at a time (with audio for one only) - except for the ones screened live on Sky Sports. You can watch the games in condensed form (minus stoppages and ads) the following morning.

I wonder who's presenting the highlights show? My introduction to the NFL was by way of the Channel 4 highlights show presented by Mick Luckhurst. Were they on a Tuesday evening?
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Lamb of BOD wrote:
Broken Wing wrote:I've just seen the very disappointing news that Channel 4 have lost the NFL rights to BBC who will show a massive 4 live games this season. The 4 games are the 3 London games and the Superbowl. They'll also have a highlights show starting in November.
I subscribe to Game Pass. To me it's definitely worth it. If you're subscribing, there's probably no point in taking the full year package as the post season is all blacked-out (i.e. you can't watch it until 24 or 48 hours after the original Sky broadcast). But you get to watch any and all regular season games - up to 4 at a time (with audio for one only) - except for the ones screened live on Sky Sports. You can watch the games in condensed form (minus stoppages and ads) the following morning.

I wonder who's presenting the highlights show? My introduction to the NFL was by way of the Channel 4 highlights show presented by Mick Luckhurst. Were they on a Tuesday evening?
I took the plunge this year and am loving it......... great fun re-watching the Jets get to back-to-back AFC Championship games..... we played some great ball those two years 2009/2010. It's actually decent value as my eldest is a Ravens fan so we can take turns at looking back through the archives for both our teams. I took it for the regular season only also like yourself.... Sky(which I subscribe to) will have everything else live, not worth the extra 50 quid.
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

nelly the elephant wrote:
Lamb of BOD wrote:

I took the plunge this year and am loving it......... great fun re-watching the Jets get to back-to-back AFC Championship games..... we played some great ball those two years 2009/2010. It's actually decent value as my eldest is a Ravens fan so we can take turns at looking back through the archives for both our teams. I took it for the regular season only also like yourself.... Sky(which I subscribe to) will have everything else live, not worth the extra 50 quid.
Yeah, I'm pretty fond of it too. Very handy for when the Giants are playing a late game - I generally can't stay up to watch the late games live, but I can watch it on condensed by lunchtime the next day.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

Free-to-Air "Pick" TV channel is showing the Packers vs Bears today (6pm kick off). It's somewhere around channel 133 on UPC
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

That Seahawks - Rams game was a belter. Kansas looked comfortable, as did the Jets. Miami recovered from a dodgy start to remain mostly untroubled. Luck throwing INTs again. Bills D looks great. The Bears hung around for a lot longer than expected; Cutler played with a degree of self control. Aaron Rogers looked poised and confident. I wonder if they can go all the way this time, especially without Nelson?

Andy Dalton making the Raiders look like they'll compete yet again for the wooden spoon. Dream start for Marcus Mariota. 4 TDs by halftime. Nightmare start for Jameis - his first ever professional pass was picked and returned for a TD. San Diego struggling in the sunshine, but just about holding in and NO staging a comeback in Arizona. Some interesting second halves coming up
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Go Rams :D
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
rosscarrick
Knowledgeable

Post by rosscarrick »

Avenger wrote:Go Rams :D
I know every season we talk up the Rams and they fail to deliver - but I think they can win the West.
Seattle and Arizona will battle it out for the second place and probable playoff berth.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

rosscarrick wrote:
I know every season we talk up the Rams and they fail to deliver - but I think they can win the West.
Seattle and Arizona will battle it out for the second place and probable playoff berth.
Steady on. They've beaten the Seahags at home for the past few seasons. It's the away form that's killing them (along with injuries to Bulger so hopefully Folds can stay upright).

The defense looks very impressive so that's good. If the offense can help out a bit more I'd be hopeful of a run at the playoffs but there's a lot of ifs in there.

Beating Seattle without the two first choice running backs was good and they made good yards on the ground so plenty of dept at RB for a change.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Avenger wrote:
rosscarrick wrote:
Steady on. They've beaten the Seahags at home for the past few seasons. It's the away form that's killing them (along with injuries to Bulger so hopefully Folds can stay upright).

The defense looks very impressive so that's good. If the offense can help out a bit more I'd be hopeful of a run at the playoffs but there's a lot of ifs in there.

Beating Seattle without the two first choice running backs was good and they made good yards on the ground so plenty of dept at RB for a change.
I thought of you when I saw the result, Avenger. Great to see for the game and the division.

But you'd have better success with Bobby Fisher as Head Coach than Jeffy boy. His teams always win the games they shouldn't and lose the games they should. Still, I like the talent level in STL. Awesome front 7 big fan of Donald and Ogletree coming out of college), decent secondary, decent oline and some great offensive options ( I wanted Miami to take Bailey and Cunningham in the draft that year). Foles mightn't be elite but he cuts out some of the madcap inconsistency that Bradford had.

Just not a believer in Jeff Fisher (says the guy who follows a Joe Philbin-led team).
rosscarrick
Knowledgeable

Post by rosscarrick »

Avenger wrote:
rosscarrick wrote:

Yup - this is what I said - we always build them up. But I think they underperformed last year.
Also, seeing them at Washington this Sunday.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

And the Rams are back!!!
Typical Rams. Beat a Superbowl contender. Lose to the lowly Redskins.
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

As we approach tonight's huge clash at MetLife - which kicks off week 3 - a big shout-out to macklexv and dbreathnach who are blazing a trail in our fantasy league. those two teams are well out in front, leaving the rest of us with a lot of ground to make up, even at this early stage. A bit like the Giants, tbh! Tonight';s game should hopefully give us our first win of the season - unless Eli can manage to stuff things up again and mismanage the clock. Something tells me that won't be an issue this week. With the unfortunate injuries to Romo and Bryant, the Cowboys might struggle for a while - and I can see Cassel taking over from Weedon before too long. The Skins have played beyond expectation in their first two games, but we'll have a better idea tomorrow how much of a revival they're going through. The Eagles are an enigma, but haven't played at all well this season, barring a quarter of their opener. It is shaping up to be the NFC Least again this season, but someone has to win it, and that team will make the playoffs. Just hoping that team is the Giants
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Lamb of BOD wrote:As we approach tonight's huge clash at MetLife - which kicks off week 3 - a big shout-out to macklexv and dbreathnach who are blazing a trail in our fantasy league. those two teams are well out in front, leaving the rest of us with a lot of ground to make up, even at this early stage. A bit like the Giants, tbh! Tonight';s game should hopefully give us our first win of the season - unless Eli can manage to stuff things up again and mismanage the clock. Something tells me that won't be an issue this week. With the unfortunate injuries to Romo and Bryant, the Cowboys might struggle for a while - and I can see Cassel taking over from Weedon before too long. The Skins have played beyond expectation in their first two games, but we'll have a better idea tomorrow how much of a revival they're going through. The Eagles are an enigma, but haven't played at all well this season, barring a quarter of their opener. It is shaping up to be the NFC Least again this season, but someone has to win it, and that team will make the playoffs. Just hoping that team is the Giants

Grrrrrrr.....wishing I hadn't asked him to join! :evil:
rosscarrick
Knowledgeable

Post by rosscarrick »

nelly the elephant wrote:
Lamb of BOD wrote:As we approach tonight's huge clash at MetLife - which kicks off week 3 - a big shout-out to macklexv and dbreathnach who are blazing a trail in our fantasy league. those two teams are well out in front, leaving the rest of us with a lot of ground to make up, even at this early stage. A bit like the Giants, tbh! Tonight';s game should hopefully give us our first win of the season - unless Eli can manage to stuff things up again and mismanage the clock. Something tells me that won't be an issue this week. With the unfortunate injuries to Romo and Bryant, the Cowboys might struggle for a while - and I can see Cassel taking over from Weedon before too long. The Skins have played beyond expectation in their first two games, but we'll have a better idea tomorrow how much of a revival they're going through. The Eagles are an enigma, but haven't played at all well this season, barring a quarter of their opener. It is shaping up to be the NFC Least again this season, but someone has to win it, and that team will make the playoffs. Just hoping that team is the Giants

Grrrrrrr.....wishing I hadn't asked him to join! :evil:
A crazy topsyturvy week 2.
The Rams we have come to love and know turned up - but how about those other results - many a LMS killed.