NFL

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Avenger
Seán Cronin

Re: NFL

Post by Avenger »

No surprise as he refused to restructure his contract after two seasons injured that Sam Bradford has been traded by the Rams.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

John23 wrote:The Jimmy Graham move is a real bolt out of nowhere. A real addition to the Seahawks O
Apparently Miami tried to make that trade but we backed out over the cost of it. It's a pretty good deal, even at the price Seattle paid, imo.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Avenger wrote:No surprise as he refused to restructure his contract after two seasons injured that Sam Bradford has been traded by the Rams.
Jeff Fisher's management just saved his job. Greta deal for the Rams and a clean slate for Fisher. He'll still probably lose all the games he's supposed to win and vice versa...
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

Lamb of BOD wrote: Wish list:
1) Re-sign JPP
2) Bring back coach Coughlin
3) New defensive co-ordinator
4) Sign Suh as a free agent (doubt we'd have the dosh for him and JPP, but Reese is a miracle worker)
To paraphrase Meatloaf, 3 outta 4 ain't bad.

Well done Miami for securing the services of Suh
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Some amount of free agency activity all the same..... delighted with the Jets closed season so far and that's BEFORE the draft.
For all of recently fired GM John Idzik's faults, he did an outstanding job with our salary cap the past 2 years
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

jezzer wrote:
Avenger wrote:No surprise as he refused to restructure his contract after two seasons injured that Sam Bradford has been traded by the Rams.
Jeff Fisher's management just saved his job. Greta deal for the Rams and a clean slate for Fisher. He'll still probably lose all the games he's supposed to win and vice versa...
Fisher has had 3 losing seasons so its win or bust season for him.
I like what I see with Foles. Didn't have a great 2014 but was super in 2013. I like his body language, his pocket presence, and his ability to keep his eyes downfield while avoiding pressure, are all things I want to see in my QB. But the Rams OL needs a lot of work before the season starts. We have some very good young backs and receivers so if they fix the OL the pieces are in place for Foles to succeed. He doesn't need to be spectacular as the defence is excellent... he just needs to be solid and what I've seen of him before tells me he is at least that.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Avenger wrote:
jezzer wrote:
Fisher has had 3 losing seasons so its win or bust season for him.
I like what I see with Foles. Didn't have a great 2014 but was super in 2013. I like his body language, his pocket presence, and his ability to keep his eyes downfield while avoiding pressure, are all things I want to see in my QB. But the Rams OL needs a lot of work before the season starts. We have some very good young backs and receivers so if they fix the OL the pieces are in place for Foles to succeed. He doesn't need to be spectacular as the defence is excellent... he just needs to be solid and what I've seen of him before tells me he is at least that.
He did play extremely well in 2013 alright... the thing is he couldn't oust Mark Sánchez when he had recovered from injury last year...... there are question marks for sure but on 2013 form..... he's a more than decent punt.
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

DeMarco Murray to the Eagles, Percy Harvin to the Bills, Kenny Stills to the Dolphins and Reggie Bush talking to the Pats. Is it me or is there more and more movement during the free agency period this time round. I'm being a bit old school here but time was if you had a 7/8 year pro career it was all with the same ball club.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Cutler staying with Dá Bears for another two years it appears... how do you feel about that Donny?
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

I guess Aaron Hernandez isn't NFL news any more, but the jury in his trial reached a verdict earlier today

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/15/us/aa ... z-verdict/
neilinboston
Knowledgeable

Post by neilinboston »

Aaron Hernandez sentenced to 10 years with the raiders.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

I realise I'm only the Rams fan here but this looks awesome.

rosscarrick
Knowledgeable

Post by rosscarrick »

That stadium looks great.
Going to Rams at Skins this year.
I think the Rams may surprise a few - It'll depend on my 9ers and Kaep.
The French are predictably unpredictable
Rogocoko
Knowledgeable

Post by Rogocoko »

Draft Day..... any predictions???
Munster. I hate the word, as I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

I'm never up enough on what teams need to really get the draft. Johnny Football was the big news last year but was then given no time at all to develop into an NFL QB and now the Browns are looking at repeating that mistake.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

Rogocoko wrote:Draft Day..... any predictions???
Winston to Tampa seems to be the consensus number 1. Although the Bucs did say that all of his off-field issues hadn't affected their opinion of him in any way - which might just mean they've been gunning for Mariota all along. Unlikely, though, Winston seems more NFL ready, especially as a more traditional pocket passer. There was a report yesterday that the Browns (who I think have two first-round picks) have offered loads of picks to move up - presumably to take the second QB in the draft. I can't see the Bucs passing over the opportunity to get a franchise QB, but the Titans might be happy enough with Mettenberger to be open to a trade. The two top wideouts should also be gone in the first half-dozen picks, along with Leonard Williams - who might be the consensus best player in the draft.

The majority of experts I've listened to have Brandon Scherff (pronounced Sheriff) going to the Giants at 9, which would be a good example of need meets value, and projections are certainly that the team who takes him would be getting at once a plug-and-play starter and a 10 year man, so I wouldn't be unhappy at all if that came to pass. If not him, I'd love to see Reese go D-line and pick up Danny Shelton, a nose tackle who, at 6'5" and 319 lbs, certainly fits the bill as a "Giant". You never know, though. Reese is defintely a 'best player available' guy, and if one of the receivers (for example) were to drop, I think he'd go in that direction.

Interestingly, the timing of Shane Ray's misdemeanours hasn't helped his draft stock at all. Earlier on he'd been talked about as a top 10 talent, now he seems to have dropped from the first round entirely, and it wouldn't surprise me if some teams had erased him from their boards altogether. Jerry Reese will have a very interesting decision to make in the second round if Ray is still there when pick 40 comes around.

The (possible) trades are going to make the early part of this draft compelling viewing. The Browns (as mentioned) seem to have given up on the Johnny Football experiment (I'll bet Jerry Jones is still breathing a sigh of relief that he allowed himself be talked out of that pick). The Eagles will be worth watching as they might trade one of their QBs to move up, as might San Diego - although if you'd trade Rivers you'd want to be damn sure you'd be drafting a capable replacement. Chicago, too, might just offload Cutler and some picks to a QB-needy team looking for an established veteran at that position. It's hard to see any of the teams picking before them making that trade, though. But after an off-season when Jimmy Graham got traded, anything is possible!

On a non-draft note, I see Chicago has put Martellus Bennett on the trade block. With a reported salary of $4.9 mill this year, I'd love to see him back in blue this season.

EDIT: stats edited (Scherff's trimmed down a little) and draft video added.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Lamb of BOD wrote:
Rogocoko wrote:Draft Day..... any predictions???
Winston to Tampa seems to be the consensus number 1. Although the Bucs did say that all of his off-field issues hadn't affected their opinion of him in any way - which might just mean they've been gunning for Mariota all along. Unlikely, though, Winston seems more NFL ready, especially as a more traditional pocket passer. There was a report yesterday that the Browns (who I think have two first-round picks) have offered loads of picks to move up - presumably to take the second QB in the draft. I can't see the Bucs passing over the opportunity to get a franchise QB, but the Titans might be happy enough with Mettenberger to be open to a trade. The two top wideouts should also be gone in the first half-dozen picks, along with Leonard Williams - who might be the consensus best player in the draft.

The majority of experts I've listened to have Brandon Scherff (pronounced Sheriff) going to the Giants at 9, which would be a good example of need meets value, and projections are certainly that the team who takes him would be getting at once a plug-and-play starter and a 10 year man, so I wouldn't be unhappy at all if that came to pass. If not him, I'd love to see Reese go D-line and pick up Danny Shelton, a nose tackle who, at 6'5" and 319 lbs, certainly fits the bill as a "Giant". You never know, though. Reese is defintely a 'best player available' guy, and if one of the receivers (for example) were to drop, I think he'd go in that direction.

Interestingly, the timing of Shane Ray's misdemeanours hasn't helped his draft stock at all. Earlier on he'd been talked about as a top 10 talent, now he seems to have dropped from the first round entirely, and it wouldn't surprise me if some teams had erased him from their boards altogether. Jerry Reese will have a very interesting decision to make in the second round if Ray is still there when pick 40 comes around.

The (possible) trades are going to make the early part of this draft compelling viewing. The Browns (as mentioned) seem to have given up on the Johnny Football experiment (I'll bet Jerry Jones is still breathing a sigh of relief that he allowed himself be talked out of that pick). The Eagles will be worth watching as they might trade one of their QBs to move up, as might San Diego - although if you'd trade Rivers you'd want to be damn sure you'd be drafting a capable replacement. Chicago, too, might just offload Cutler and some picks to a QB-needy team looking for an established veteran at that position. It's hard to see any of the teams picking before them making that trade, though. But after an off-season when Jimmy Graham got traded, anything is possible!

On a non-draft note, I see Chicago has put Martellus Bennett on the trade block. With a reported salary of $4.9 mill this year, I'd love to see him back in blue this season.

EDIT: stats edited (Scherff's trimmed down a little) and draft video added.
We just got him..... delighted with the pick. Whilst our offence still needs work our defence is "gonna be sick" as the local vernacular has it........
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

1. Tampa Bay: QB Jameis Winston
2. Tennessee: QB Marcus Mariota
3. Jacksonville: OLB Dante Fowler
4. Oakland: WR Amari Cooper
5. Washington: OG Brandon Scherff
6. NY Jets: DT Leonard Williams
7. Chicago: WR Kevin White
8. Atlanta: OLB Vic Beasley
9. NY GIANTS: OT Ereck Flowers 6'6", 329 lbs. Big boy. Happy with that pick. Time for bed!
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Rams draft a running back. Odd decision.
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

Avenger wrote:Rams draft a running back. Odd decision.
By all accounts that guy Gurley will be something really special. It might also be the case that the Rams got the top guy on their board - when you're picking at 10 that's remarkable luck! Gurley is a big bodied runner in the Marshawn Lynch mould. I don't know what the areas of need were for the Rams going into the draft, but I reckon you'll be more than pleased with that pick