Devin Toner

America's Game

Post by Donny B. »

Wonderful documentaries!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: America's Game

Post by hugonaut »

Best sporting documentary series of all time. I have the boxed set, 1966-2006 – it's hugely enjoyable, worth watching a bunch of times. Really got me back interested in American Football, having not really followed it since the early 90s.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Yeah. They are well put together documentaries. What region DVDs did you get?
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Whatever the American Region is – Region 1? My DVD player doesn't seem to have an issue playing them.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

hugonaut wrote:Whatever the American Region is – Region 1? My DVD player doesn't seem to have an issue playing them.
Yeah. I've seen them on amazon.com in region 1 only. I have the Rams superbow one. Wouldn't mind getting the entire set.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Absolutely worth it.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

This leads to a point I posted earlier. In highlights form it's an extarordinary game and the documentary serious is wonderfull. A full match, to me, is unimaginably dull.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

edit
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Cianostays wrote:This leads to a point I posted earlier. In highlights form it's an extarordinary game and the documentary serious is wonderfull. A full match, to me, is unimaginably dull.
It is like everything else it takes time to appreciate it, we haven't grown up as kids looking at it but spend time in America with no rugby or football and you will soon get into it. Nothing like a few beers on a wintery Sunday in New York watching a game
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

No denying it's a lot easier to watch sitting in the pub or with a few beers. 60 minutes of football over 3 or 4 hours with an average of 15 second plays means it's easy to dip in and out without really missing anything.

Just the other day I was talking to a mate of mine about this. We both played in the mid to late 90's and used to watch whatever we could see of it back then as well as spending hours on Madden. Now we keep an eye on the results of our teams and maybe watch the superbowl but unless it was our teams meeting we'd be hard pushed to watch a full game.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Like Italian Football, I was introduced to American Football through a one hour highlights show.

And like Italian football it's still a lot more interesting than watching it live.

Now I think of it, I still think I'd prefer to watch a four hour American football game with 2 and a half hours of ads, than ninety minutes of Italian football!
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Donny B. wrote:Like Italian Football, I was introduced to American Football through a one hour highlights show.

And like Italian football it's still a lot more interesting than watching it live.

Now I think of it, I still think I'd prefer to watch a four hour American football game with 2 and a half hours of ads, than ninety minutes of Italian football!
I concur with your analysis Donny
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
rosscarrick
Knowledgeable

Post by rosscarrick »

Yeah, loving the football.
Some of the Dublin Rhinos are heading into Break for the Border tomorrow for the Thanksgiving games.
Should be fun if anyone is interested in popping in and saying hello.
The French are predictably unpredictable
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

rosscarrick wrote:Yeah, loving the football.
Some of the Dublin Rhinos are heading into Break for the Border tomorrow for the Thanksgiving games.
Should be fun if anyone is interested in popping in and saying hello.
Dublin Rhino's?? The only rhino in Dublin is in the face of a D4 milf...
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

They have this programme on all week on Sky Sports in the build-up to the Superbowl. I'm basically over-dosing on it! :D
All the way back logue
Graduate

Post by All the way back logue »

wow - caught this the other night having seen the posts here. They were covering the Patriots team that won their 3rd in 4 years. Great footage of all the key moments - they even caught the significant moments in training/pre season aswell. The story of Troy Brown converting from offence to defence was incredible at that level of sport.

What struck me also was how comfortable these guys were talking directly to the camera - the coach, Troy Brown, Teddy Bruschi and others - although big bruisers they were very articulate and obviously very bright guys - I couldnt imagine the same coming from say a soccer team where it would consist of "obviously at the end of the day" type cr@p.

Great show - hope I havent come in at the end of the series.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

All the way back logue wrote:Great show - hope I havent come in at the end of the series.
I believe they were done for the 40th superbowl. So they haven't done the last 4. Perhaps they'll do them ever 10 years or so.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Avenger wrote:
All the way back logue wrote:Great show - hope I havent come in at the end of the series.
I believe they were done for the 40th superbowl. So they haven't done the last 4. Perhaps they'll do them ever 10 years or so.
They have done right up to Pittsburgh winning last season, I expect they won't re appear on our screens again till next Autumn
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Armchair wrote:
They have done right up to Pittsburgh winning last season, I expect they won't re appear on our screens again till next Autumn
There's an episode at 10.30 this morning on Sky Sports 2.

If it's the 2009 Saints, I'll be very impressed!! :D