Ireland going for Full Member status of ICC

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

West Brit
Mullet

Ireland going for Full Member status of ICC

Post by West Brit »

As per the link below. Doubt the sub-continental bloc would allow it, but it shows a lot of ambition.

http://www.cricinfo.com/ireland/content ... 32837.html
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Ireland going for Full Member status of ICC

Post by tackle-bag »

Great news, I really think we could become a competitive test nation if given the chance. We've shown in all of the formats that we've been allowed to turn our hand to that we're no longer the whipping boys of international cricket.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

tackle-bag wrote:Great news, I really think we could become a competitive test nation if given the chance. We've shown in all of the formats that we've been allowed to turn our hand to that we're no longer the whipping boys of international cricket.
I think Ireland would be the whipping boys of Tests for a while when they join. Every single new country has been the whipping boy for at least a few years when they join. That said, I really don't think Ireland is that far behind Bangladesh, and certainly not behind Zimbabwe.
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

West Brit wrote:As per the link below. Doubt the sub-continental bloc would allow it, but it shows a lot of ambition.

I thought a Test Nation needed a 4 or 5 day championship? AFAIK Ireland doesn't have this.
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

Leinster Exile wrote:
West Brit wrote:As per the link below. Doubt the sub-continental bloc would allow it, but it shows a lot of ambition.

I thought a Test Nation needed a 4 or 5 day championship? AFAIK Ireland doesn't have this.
I thought so too, althogh I think the problem is that there is no set criteria. At the very least, this process will show Ireland exactly what they need to do to get Full Member status, even if the Indian bloc will vote against us for political reasons.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Yeah, we have had some solid performances recently, but we are regularly thrashed on the international scene too. The tour of Bangladesh last season should have been defining, but we were stuffed. Also, the strenght in depth is not there either if County clubs do not release their players. We are doing well to average one won a season in the FPT with a weakened side. You play those guys in Banglahore, Islamabad, Gaul or Centurion, and we will be embarrassed. More ODIs for now will do
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

suisse wrote:Yeah, we have had some solid performances recently, but we are regularly thrashed on the international scene too. The tour of Bangladesh last season should have been defining, but we were stuffed. Also, the strenght in depth is not there either if County clubs do not release their players. We are doing well to average one won a season in the FPT with a weakened side. You play those guys in Banglahore, Islamabad, Gaul or Centurion, and we will be embarrassed. More ODIs for now will do
Agreed, although Ireland showing some ambition will give youngsters some hope that cricket can be a future for them here. There's a lot of good youngsters on these shores, and the more encouragement they get the better.