What is the most boring sport??

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: What is the most boring sport??

Post by hugonaut »

I'm a huge NFL fan, but can see why some people find it boring ... believe me though, the more you get into the sport, the more you study what each different position does on the pitch, the more fascinating it becomes. Every play is essentially a set piece move, and every play succeeds or fails on the actions of one of the twenty two players on the pitch.

I used to watch it when I was younger on Channel 4, then gave up on it for a good while, and was re-introduced to it through the excellent 'America's Game' series. I'm a huge fan of it these days, and make an effort to see all the coverage on Sky Sports on a Sunday night. The athleticism and strength on the players, the levels of strategy that go into the construction of a drive, the intricacies of each called play [deception,counters, man-on-man contests] are absolutely fascinating.

It's a great game to watch when you know enough about other sports [rugby, in particular], to appreciate the difficulties in each positional and situational encounter. I actually feel like I'm learning something about the game every single play, stuff that you can put in your memory bank and remember when you see similar situations in later games. I'd really recommend it to anybody who has the slightest interest, and there's phenomenal coverage of it on nfl.com, espn.com and sportsillustrated.cnn.com which explain elements of the game on and off the pitch that make it so much more enjoyable to watch and follow.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Curling. Bowls. Diving. Billiards.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Not in any particular order

Golf (not really a sport)
Soccer
Darts (noy really a sport)
PUFFBALL
Aussie rules
WENDYBALL
Nascar/F1/Daytona 500
Wife-beaterball
Horse racing.show jumping
Cricket
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

yankball is just sooooooooooo slooooooooooooooooooow

the ball is thrown long, the ball is caught by a receiver. 5 minute break. commentators talk about the "genius set piece play" where the quarter back threw it to the guy who was undefended.
game restarts, ball is thrown short to a running back, rb gets tackled. 5 minute break. commentators talk about the display of tactical genius where the defenders correctly assessed where the ball might be thrown.
game restarts, ball is punted 60 yards and caught by the opposition. 5 minute break. commentators talk about the genius required to know that the ball should be punted on the fourth down so you don't get turned over near your own goal line.

This goes on for about four hours! :evil:

Americans love to talk about the psychology and tactics to the slow pace, but the fact is, one hour of American Football contains as much play as 10 minutes of rugby union. and in rugby, the "tactics" etc are the things you're supposed to be able to do on the fly
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Chav ball, snooker and lawn or indoor bowls in that order.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

John23 wrote:Chav ball, snooker and lawn or indoor bowls in that order.
Lawn bowls is great fun. Watching two old timers from Guernsey play two old timers from Norfolk Island in the Commonwealth Games with a couple of beers was an afternoon well spent. And makes me in no way a sad person.
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Does it strike anybody else that, in highlights form, American Football is amazing but watching a full game is akin to torture. I've a friend who tried to explain the beauty of it to me (there are some really good skills alright). However, I still don't understand why there are 3 seperate teams (offence, defence and special) involved in a match. Surely players should have to attack AND defend like in pretty much every other team sport. In conclusion American Football is the most boring sport to watch live.............................and cricket.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

Cianostays wrote:Does it strike anybody else that, in highlights form, American Football is amazing but watching a full game is akin to torture. I've a friend who tried to explain the beauty of it to me (there are some really good skills alright). However, I still don't understand why there are 3 seperate teams (offence, defence and special) involved in a match. Surely players should have to attack AND defend like in pretty much every other team sport. In conclusion American Football is the most boring sport to watch live.............................and cricket.
Cricket is impossible to appreciate unless you've grown up with it. Luckily I grew up with it and I know that it's the greatest sport in the world. :D
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

bluedabadi wrote:My vote is Gaelic Football.... I've really tried to be interested but to no avail, can't see the attraction. Hurling is a different matter as it is obviously highly skillful, but the level of skill in football is pretty questionable in my opinion.
I was at a cracking game at the weekend and have enjoyed a number of local games this summer. Like rugby, get involved at grassroots level and its a great game.
exiledinmunster
Beginner

Post by exiledinmunster »

the spoofer wrote:
bluedabadi wrote:My vote is Gaelic Football.... I've really tried to be interested but to no avail, can't see the attraction. Hurling is a different matter as it is obviously highly skillful, but the level of skill in football is pretty questionable in my opinion.
I was at a cracking game at the weekend and have enjoyed a number of local games this summer. Like rugby, get involved at grassroots level and its a great game.
Much the same as any sport. Very few people who play a sport will say it is boring. Having said that my vote goes to cycling. Absolute rubbish.
bluedabadi
Knowledgeable

Post by bluedabadi »

intothewest wrote:
Have to mount some defence here...Gaelic football,while producing the odd boring game at inter-county level, is usually far more entertaining than soccer for example..its just a matter of what you're brought up with I think. I was brought up with Gaelic and Rugby mainly, and ive always loved both. Love hurling aswell,just never really had opportunity to play it.

Anyway,there's ample evidence on youtube and elsewhere of how good Gaelic can be...the first half of the Kerry v Dublin this yr was prob as flowing as you'll get...then theres bits of magic like this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVTH2aKeVxo

In my view anyway, Gaelic is far from boring..at its nadir its no worse than some rugby test matches.

Personally, i cant stomach watching NFL..wouldnt be so bad if they didnt stop so much.
Possibly gealic football can be more entertaining than soccer sometimes (although I think both are pretty boring) but I don't think it has anything to do with the quality. I just dont think there is much skill involved at all! What parts of the game are skillful? the toe tap while running with ball? maybe, but that's pretty easy really... shooting? they seem to miss most of the time. I know it's an amateur sport but it seems far less skillful than soccer or rugby, they seem to spend most of time trying to knock lumps out of eachother, regardless of where the ball is...
bluedabadi
Knowledgeable

Post by bluedabadi »

exiledinmunster wrote:
the spoofer wrote:
Much the same as any sport. Very few people who play a sport will say it is boring. Having said that my vote goes to cycling. Absolute rubbish.
I played a fair bit of gaelic as a youngster but can't find any sliver of interest now... great game for young kids, cr@p game for adults imo.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

bluedabadi wrote:they seem to spend most of time trying to knock lumps out of eachother, regardless of where the ball is...
I'm a big fan of Gaelic Football but that wrecks my head. Players pulling and dragging out of each other and kicking ankles when the ball is down the far end of the field. If they want to fight they should take up a martial art. I don't pay into Croke Park to watch two eejits old enough to know better swing at each other and then moan to the umpires that the other fella started it. Of course if you moan about it you hear that "it's a man's game" as if that excuses any sort of childish jersey pulling and kidney slapping nonsense.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
bluedabadi
Knowledgeable

Post by bluedabadi »

There really are a lot of truly boring sports listed so far... to the uninitiated/casual observer of those sports of course.
Muriel
Seán Cronin

Post by Muriel »

Stupid computers
Last edited by Muriel on November 12th, 2009, 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I pulled my hamstring, I went to a misogynist. - Brittany (Glee)
Muriel
Seán Cronin

Post by Muriel »

Soccer, F1, Baseball, Golf... I'm sure there are more, but I'm bored thinking about them.
When I pulled my hamstring, I went to a misogynist. - Brittany (Glee)
bluedabadi
Knowledgeable

Post by bluedabadi »

Lots on the TV over the next few days to keep us all happy then ...NFL, golf, cricket, fishing, wrestling... from a quick scan of the "sports on TV" listings ...

and then a boring weekend full of test rugby.. :wink: