Moderator: moderators

footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Irish Presidential flag .

Post by footrush »

gfo wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Leinster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidenti ... Ireland%29

for those who care. presidents flag looks pretty sweet
Exactly imagine 100 of these babies being waved amidst all the green shamrocks in Reading . They wouldn't know what hit them .
Flying wedge
Shane
Graduate

Post by Shane »

I like it. Think a few large flags like that would look good.
Forwards win games. Backs decide by how much.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Just as a matter of interest
Wikipedia wrote:Possibly the oldest and certainly the most celebrated instance of the use of the harp device on a green field was the flag of Owen Roe O’Neill (1590–1649). It is recorded that his ship, the St Francis, as she lay at anchor at Dunkirk, flew from her mast top ‘the Irish harp in a green field, in a flag’
No doubt Owen Roe was a closet West Brit who just went along with the Flight of the Earls to keep up appearances and his part in the Confederate War was just a misunderstanding.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

intothewest wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:
intothewest wrote:Well, its the right colour for Leinster, but as far as im aware, that is actually the old British flag for Ireland...maybe that doesnt bother you, but thought id mention it.

Not a patch on the Three Crowns of the same colour anyway.
I don't know anything about flags but the harp thing is from English money, as has been pointed out here before green is actually Leinster's colour. But they seemed to want to give that to Connacht for some reason. So we're left with the Leinster flag, with the field changed colour.
having checked it out the harp is actually from the old royal british flag and was the lower left quadrant of it,symbolising the southwestern "province" of "Britain"....not exactly a flag id be waving around but anyway...i knew ye were a shower of West Brits!

Ah at least it didnt come from Germany like the Connacht flag!
Fancy the idea of wavin my presidential flag around London and Reading , the locals will probably be as confused about our National flags as some of the people offended by it on this forum . Nothin like a flag to ramp things up a bit , this one is perfect its big its Irish and its Leinster blue .
Flying wedge
Not10
Beginner

Post by Not10 »

The Leinster Flag - green with the gold harp...is also known as "the jack" and is flown on the bow of Irish Naval Service ships when in port...
intothewest
Graduate

Post by intothewest »

Broken Wing wrote:Just as a matter of interest
Wikipedia wrote:Possibly the oldest and certainly the most celebrated instance of the use of the harp device on a green field was the flag of Owen Roe O’Neill (1590–1649). It is recorded that his ship, the St Francis, as she lay at anchor at Dunkirk, flew from her mast top ‘the Irish harp in a green field, in a flag’
No doubt Owen Roe was a closet West Brit who just went along with the Flight of the Earls to keep up appearances and his part in the Confederate War was just a misunderstanding.
Eh, i was only messin when i mentioned westbrits if ur harping at that?

If you google him or even the Leinster flag, you will come across a lot of interesting stuff. The return of O'Neill to Ireland in 1642..his attempts (doomed) to set up an Independent Catholic Republic in Ireland and reverse the Ulster plantation (all largely stymied by the Catholic hierarchy if you dont mind AND by the true westbrits of the "Leinster Army")...eh..gone way off topic here, but when History is the topic I will ramble on. Good reading for those who are interested though, the history of Leinster is very much to the fore. And just in case people think Im having a dig, Butler Earl of ormonde (one of the "Kings" of the 3 crowns of Munster) was one of those who was instrumental in blocking the way of O'Neill and paving the way for the divisions and rabble that allowed Cromwell to breeze through the East of Ireland slaughtering as he went. I'll stop now.
"Ne jamais pas perdre sa passionne..ou s'en..eloigner vite!."...E.C

“Did he have hands? Did he have a face, yes? Then it wasnt us.”..Sergei Malatov
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Not10 wrote:The Leinster Flag - green with the gold harp...is also known as "the jack" and is flown on the bow of Irish Naval Service ships when in port...
Actually a jack is a flag flown to indicate a ship's nationality. The Irish Navy use the gold harp on the green field.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

intothewest wrote:Eh, i was only messin when i mentioned westbrits if ur harping at that?
Ah that's dreadful. Get your coat.
intothewest wrote:when History is the topic I will ramble on.
Well you're not alone in that thanks be to jayzis. History is poorly served in general I feel. There are many who get their history from whatever Hollywood shows them in between the explosions and eviscerations. I still chuckle at the patriot fighting the evil Orange men at the "love Ulster" riot who told Newstalk that "we bet them in 1916 and we bet them again today".
Pro 12 Champions 14!
podge09
Bookworm

Post by podge09 »

Mackman15 wrote:
honeyec wrote:
podge09 wrote:Love it, have the leinster one but that is sweet!!!!!
You weren't in the front row of the North stand on Saturday, by any chance?

Careful how you answer this one, it could go either way!!!!
Ha ha, nope wasn't in the north stand.... Still love the flag though! West Brit or not, smacking flag!!!
intothewest
Graduate

Post by intothewest »

Broken Wing wrote:
intothewest wrote:Eh, i was only messin when i mentioned westbrits if ur harping at that?
Ah that's dreadful. Get your coat.
intothewest wrote:when History is the topic I will ramble on.
Well you're not alone in that thanks be to jayzis. History is poorly served in general I feel. There are many who get their history from whatever Hollywood shows them in between the explosions and eviscerations. I still chuckle at the patriot fighting the evil Orange men at the "love Ulster" riot who told Newstalk that "we bet them in 1916 and we bet them again today".
Ah stop...never heard that one! Man i laughed there...and your man in the Celtic jersey with the "no to foreign games" sign..all the same ilk. You're right about history being poorly served..most people have little or no knowledge of even Irish history..but its no wonder..the 2nd level history curriculum was absolutely dire until last few years and still isnt hectic...airbrushing/skirting over very very important details especially surrounding our gaining independence.

[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

intothewest wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:
intothewest wrote:Well, its the right colour for Leinster, but as far as im aware, that is actually the old British flag for Ireland...maybe that doesnt bother you, but thought id mention it.

I don't know anything about flags but the harp thing is from English money, as has been pointed out here before green is actually Leinster's colour. But they seemed to want to give that to Connacht for some reason. So we're left with the Leinster flag, with the field changed colour.
having checked it out the harp is actually from the old royal british flag and was the lower left quadrant of it,symbolising the southwestern "province" of "Britain"....not exactly a flag id be waving around but anyway...i knew ye were a shower of West Brits!

tut tut tut... hate morons like this...sorry if he's already been corrected, didn't read past a few posts... This flag has NOTHING to do with Britain and wasn't even invented until.....wait for it......waaaiiiiiiitttttt foooorrrrrr itttt..... the clues in the name ......... it wasn't invented until we had a PRESIDENT!!! Now clap your hands slowly and wait for the penny to drop... hmmm Irish presidential flag..I wonder did the Queen aprove this herself...oh wait!! If it's for an Irish president...that must mean that Ireland HAS a president!! Which must mean that the flag was intorduced by an independent free republic state and NOTHING to do with the tans, so don't be such a WUM! I hate it when the imbreds put too much reliance on their home schooling.

http://www.yourirish.com/flags-of-ireland.htm

Presidential Standard Flag

The Irish Presidents flagThe President of Ireland flag known as "The Presidential Standard" was first introduced on 13 February 1945. The Presidential Standard fla is of a gold harp with silver strings with a blue background and is flown over the presidential palace in Dublin, known as Áras an Uachtaráin. The Standard flag is never to be flown at half-mast nor should be flown in priority over the flag of Ireland, the tricolour.

Although the President of Ireland flag is similar with the Irish Coat of arms of Ireland it should not be mistaken as the same flag or of the same design as the background of the Presidential Standard is of a St Patrick blue.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
madridlion
Knowledgeable

Post by madridlion »

It´s been a long time since we have had a Leinster President of Ireland, more anti-Leinster bias, the last three have been from Munster, Connacht and Ulster.

Give us a go!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

madridlion wrote:It´s been a long time since we have had a Leinster President of Ireland, more anti-Leinster bias, the last three have been from Munster, Connacht and Ulster.

Give us a go!
Don't. You. Dare. Suggest. the. Muppet. :evil: :evil: :evil:
madridlion
Knowledgeable

Post by madridlion »

I would even support a Munster president over the teflon taoiseach :!:
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

The harp with the Angel combined is in fact Hibernia (the motherland) not an angle. Hibernia is the roman name for Ireland. The world did not begin with the British, who themselves liked to model themselves on the Roman Empire, the Romans modelled themselves on the Greeks and so it continues. Hence Roman style classical architecture adapted by the British (classical columns for example) was in fact based on Greek architecture.

A word on imperialism and occupation by another country. It is not uncommon for an occupying country to adapt the symbols of the country they have settled . It is very stupid however to suggest that such symbols and heritage are automatically lost to the natives of that country. If this were true 6 / 700 years of Irish history and heritage would be lost to us and our heritage . Cities like Dublin , Limerick and Cork would be British , not Irish.

It is also stupid to suggest that things such as Georgian architecture are not part of our heritage because they are British. It’s not like our labour , talent and money was not used to build these things. Ireland was the most taxed region of the British empire. It’s not like we took a tea break for 6/ 7 hundred years and watched while Yorkshire men built our country.

Ireland as a country has a massive heritage that is influenced by the British occupation. To ignore this is childish. To pretend it is not Irish heritage is simplistic.

By the Way Cork was found of referring to itself as a Loyalist City. You can find Many pictures of Patrick street decked out in Union Jacks. Cork was a city of greet significance under British rule. Cork hosted the World Fair in 1906. its demise began in the War of independence , and continued in the Civil war . Where the myth of the rebel county was created by Nationalists and Anti treaty factions. The city has never recovered, this is not a slag of Cork but a recognition that the city was on a path to greatness in the early 1900's under British rule.

Let’s not forget also that the British army popularised rugby in Limerick by having regular matches between the army garrison and the Dock workers of Limerick.

I know that some Munster folk will think this is being insulting. But going back to my point, this is simply part of our heritage. And it is therefore an Irish heritage because it is part of us.

By the way , I would also not assume that the game of rugby is English. The Webb Ellis story is not far off a fairly tale. Many a historian believe that the game of Chad is in fact the origins of rugby. Chad is a very old Irish game where a player would run with a ball into a defined zone. It was the job of the opposing team to stop him running for this zone. Sound familiar ??
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

The harp originated as the Leinster Symbol in the 1600s when Eoghan Ruadh O’Neill flew a green flag with a golden harp from his ship, the St. Francis as she was anchored at Dunkirk. The Leinster connection came when he returned to Ireland to help the Irish Confederation, which was headquartered in Kilkenny. He retured with French aid.

Naturally when the first Interprovincial rugby match took place between Leinster and Ulster, the Leinster team sported Jerseys that carried the traditional logo of the province. While the colour of the Jersey changed from Green to Blue, the logo remained on the Leinster Jersey up to the professional era.

The modern Leinster Rugby HarpIn 2005 Leinster Rugby re-branded which saw the introduction of a new stylised harp logo. With the old logo, which Leinster Rugby had no copyright on, Leinster’s brand, intellectual property, and merchandise was largely unprotected. The new logo incorporates the traditional harp which represents the province with a rugby ball which makes it specific to Leinster Rugby and it is used in various formats and colours. It is fully copyright protected and is popular among supporters and can be seen on the wide range of Leinster merchandise which is available.
drive for 5
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

I think Leinster changed from Green to Blue , so that the green would be associated with the Ireland team only.
drive for 5
intothewest
Graduate

Post by intothewest »

[Jackass] wrote:

tut tut tut... hate morons like this...sorry if he's already been corrected, didn't read past a few posts... This flag has NOTHING to do with Britain and wasn't even invented until.....wait for it......waaaiiiiiiitttttt foooorrrrrr itttt..... the clues in the name ......... it wasn't invented until we had a PRESIDENT!!! Now clap your hands slowly and wait for the penny to drop... hmmm Irish presidential flag..I wonder did the Queen aprove this herself...oh wait!! If it's for an Irish president...that must mean that Ireland HAS a president!! Which must mean that the flag was intorduced by an independent free republic state and NOTHING to do with the tans, so don't be such a WUM! I hate it when the imbreds put too much reliance on their home schooling.

http://www.yourirish.com/flags-of-ireland.htm

Presidential Standard Flag

The Irish Presidents flagThe President of Ireland flag known as "The Presidential Standard" was first introduced on 13 February 1945. The Presidential Standard fla is of a gold harp with silver strings with a blue background and is flown over the presidential palace in Dublin, known as Áras an Uachtaráin. The Standard flag is never to be flown at half-mast nor should be flown in priority over the flag of Ireland, the tricolour.

Although the President of Ireland flag is similar with the Irish Coat of arms of Ireland it should not be mistaken as the same flag or of the same design as the background of the Presidential Standard is of a St Patrick blue.
Tut tut tut indeed....what age are you 12? You obviously DIDNT read any of the other posts did you? Good man though, putting a link of the first item that pops up on google on your post and calling someone else a moron and inbred...If you had even stretched what little grey matter you have to a wiki search, you might have seen this:

Image...dating from ..oh conservatively lets say 1800..but its older...does the bottom left corner look familiar? This is the British royal standard with the bottom left corner representing Ireland..top right Scots,other 2 quadrants England.

Then the unofficial old Irish flag below as mentioned before here, dates from 1642 or before, its origins similar (identical perhaps) to that of the Leinster flag in all probability...as Broken wing (i think) said, its origins are possibly French from the time of French collaboration with the Catholic confederation. Wiki and at least 3 other sources agree that: "reference to the harp as being the arms of the king of Ireland can be found as early as the 13th century. It appears on a French roll or arm, preserved in the Hague, where with the following entry: "Le Roi d'Irlande: D'azure a la harpe d'or." (The King of Ireland: On blue a harp of gold.")"

To quote your lazy search: Although the President of Ireland flag is similar with the Irish Coat of arms of Ireland it should not be mistaken as the same flag or of the same design as the background of the Presidential Standard is of a St Patrick blue.....no similarity and a sheer coincidence that the flags are totally identical so...moron indeed.

In short, find some other turnip to try to show up.

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

All this over a bloody flag!!! :roll:
intothewest
Graduate

Post by intothewest »

BlueBlue wrote:The harp with the Angel combined is in fact Hibernia (the motherland) not an angle. Hibernia is the roman name for Ireland. The world did not begin with the British, who themselves liked to model themselves on the Roman Empire, the Romans modelled themselves on the Greeks and so it continues. Hence Roman style classical architecture adapted by the British (classical columns for example) was in fact based on Greek architecture.

A word on imperialism and occupation by another country. It is not uncommon for an occupying country to adapt the symbols of the country they have settled . It is very stupid however to suggest that such symbols and heritage are automatically lost to the natives of that country. If this were true 6 / 700 years of Irish history and heritage would be lost to us and our heritage . Cities like Dublin , Limerick and Cork would be British , not Irish.

It is also stupid to suggest that things such as Georgian architecture are not part of our heritage because they are British. It’s not like our labour , talent and money was not used to build these things. Ireland was the most taxed region of the British empire. It’s not like we took a tea break for 6/ 7 hundred years and watched while Yorkshire men built our country.

Ireland as a country has a massive heritage that is influenced by the British occupation. To ignore this is childish. To pretend it is not Irish heritage is simplistic.

By the Way Cork was found of referring to itself as a Loyalist City. You can find Many pictures of Patrick street decked out in Union Jacks. Cork was a city of greet significance under British rule. Cork hosted the World Fair in 1906. its demise began in the War of independence , and continued in the Civil war . Where the myth of the rebel county was created by Nationalists and Anti treaty factions. The city has never recovered, this is not a slag of Cork but a recognition that the city was on a path to greatness in the early 1900's under British rule.

Let’s not forget also that the British army popularised rugby in Limerick by having regular matches between the army garrison and the Dock workers of Limerick.

I know that some Munster folk will think this is being insulting. But going back to my point, this is simply part of our heritage. And it is therefore an Irish heritage because it is part of us.

By the way , I would also not assume that the game of rugby is English. The Webb Ellis story is not far off a fairly tale. Many a historian believe that the game of Chad is in fact the origins of rugby. Chad is a very old Irish game where a player would run with a ball into a defined zone. It was the job of the opposing team to stop him running for this zone. Sound familiar ??
Good post BB, you are right in all you say of course..Hibernia,its believed, is speculated as being how the romans wrote the "Britons" pronouciation of "Iverni (a)"..the Ivernii being the ancient inhabitants of modern Cork/Kerry. Of course, we have an English heritage, some of it good, some of it...not so good. They f*cked up all our place names.."Phoenix park...Bally this n that"...then again look at the Irish rail map from 1906...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map_R ... n_1906.jpg
Then look at it now...we had the most updated and exensive rail network in Europe at the beginning of the 20th century.

P.S: Ever hear the theory/legend/myth/bullsh*t about why "Rugby" should be called "Nenagh" BB?! I kid you not..Webb-Ellis father was in RIC in Nenagh and its possible that when picking up the ball and running with it, he was doing as he had seen in his youth when they played Caid by running with the ball in North Tipp!