Irish Presidential flag .

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Irish Presidential flag .

Post by footrush »

Been bringing this baby to away games , so for anyone who is lookin , its the Irish Presidential Flag ( as you all knew ) . Spent ages trying to find one of these , finally was able to get one from America , takes about three weeks but they are really reliable , class flag , big enough to stop the traffic a few times in Llanelli .
http://www.patriotic-flags.com/world/br ... h_flag.htm
Flying wedge
podge09
Bookworm

Re: Irish Presidential flag .

Post by podge09 »

Love it, have the leinster one but that is sweet!!!!!
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

A few hundred of these would have some impact .
Flying wedge
intothewest
Graduate

Post by intothewest »

Well, its the right colour for Leinster, but as far as im aware, that is actually the old British flag for Ireland...maybe that doesnt bother you, but thought id mention it.

Not a patch on the Three Crowns of the same colour anyway.
"Ne jamais pas perdre sa passionne..ou s'en..eloigner vite!."...E.C

“Did he have hands? Did he have a face, yes? Then it wasnt us.”..Sergei Malatov
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

intothewest wrote:Well, its the right colour for Leinster, but as far as im aware, that is actually the old British flag for Ireland...maybe that doesnt bother you, but thought id mention it.

I don't know anything about flags but the harp thing is from English money, as has been pointed out here before green is actually Leinster's colour. But they seemed to want to give that to Connacht for some reason. So we're left with the Leinster flag, with the field changed colour.
intothewest
Graduate

Post by intothewest »

fourthirtythree wrote:
intothewest wrote:Well, its the right colour for Leinster, but as far as im aware, that is actually the old British flag for Ireland...maybe that doesnt bother you, but thought id mention it.

I don't know anything about flags but the harp thing is from English money, as has been pointed out here before green is actually Leinster's colour. But they seemed to want to give that to Connacht for some reason. So we're left with the Leinster flag, with the field changed colour.
having checked it out the harp is actually from the old royal british flag and was the lower left quadrant of it,symbolising the southwestern "province" of "Britain"....not exactly a flag id be waving around but anyway...i knew ye were a shower of West Brits!

Ah at least it didnt come from Germany like the Connacht flag!

leinsterglory
Beginner

Post by leinsterglory »

intothewest wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:

having checked it out the harp is actually from the old royal british flag and was the lower left quadrant of it,symbolising the southwestern "province" of "Britain"....not exactly a flag id be waving around but anyway...i knew ye were a shower of West Brits!

The British flag of Ireland was St. Pats cross and its still on the Union Jack today. The harp was introduced to Ireland by the French. If it was a symbol of British rule i don't know why its the offcial coat of arms for the republic. Love Wikipeadia!
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

podge09 wrote:Love it, have the leinster one but that is sweet!!!!!
You weren't in the front row of the North stand on Saturday, by any chance?
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

honeyec wrote:
podge09 wrote:Love it, have the leinster one but that is sweet!!!!!
You weren't in the front row of the North stand on Saturday, by any chance?

Careful how you answer this one, it could go either way!!!!
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
intothewest
Graduate

Post by intothewest »

leinsterglory wrote:
intothewest wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:Well, its the right colour for Leinster, but as far as im aware, that is actually the old British flag for Ireland...maybe that doesnt bother you, but thought id mention it.

The British flag of Ireland was St. Pats cross and its still on the Union Jack today. The harp was introduced to Ireland by the French. If it was a symbol of British rule i don't know why its the offcial coat of arms for the republic. Love Wikipeadia!
Dont know what wiki says but the Harp flag preceeds St patricks cross ..it first record is in the early 17th century, indeed there are record of both a gold harp on a blue AND green backgound being used..this is where the Leinster flag comes from...the Blue flag later came to be seen as the Irish flag and was used by the British on the Royal Standard to symbolise Ireland as part of Britain, along with 3 Lions and the Scottish lion..no mention of the poor Welsh.

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

My recollection is that the harp was first used as a formal symbol of Ireland on money. This would have been during the Anglo-Norman period so British is something of an anachronism if you are describing the rulers at the time. They did rule England, but they weren't English let alone "british", and they didn't speak English.

Don't have the relevant books to hand at the moment but I will go and have a shuffle through them later in the week.
intothewest
Graduate

Post by intothewest »

fourthirtythree wrote:My recollection is that the harp was first used as a formal symbol of Ireland on money. This would have been during the Anglo-Norman period so British is something of an anachronism if you are describing the rulers at the time. They did rule England, but they weren't English let alone "british", and they didn't speak English.

Don't have the relevant books to hand at the moment but I will go and have a shuffle through them later in the week.
You could be right..but there is of course little or no "original British" blood in the English...the Anglo-Saxon,Danish and Norman conquests ensured that...the Welsh/Cornish/Bretons (northern France) are the original Britons...the Scots are Irish (im speaking in generalities here of course) the English are German/Danish/French...and the Irish are Spanish/Russian with elements of Slavic and Egyptian thrown in!

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

...and by that light let us not forget of course that there is no "celtic" blood in the Irish either. We are all mongrels and nationality is an invention more or less convenient.

I was referring to culturally British or English,
nopeare
Graduate

Post by nopeare »

sell them on ebay and shorter waiting time got one last year but ended up getting a big leinster flag so that got preference

http://shop.ebay.ie/i.html?_nkw=leinste ... &_osacat=0

sorry the presidential one is actually gone but some do come up if you keep an eye
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

The British one has an angel head on the harp , used for parliament and similar to the Ryanair one .
Bottom left corner of the Royal standard , different harp altogether .
http://www.patriotic-flags.com/world/br ... kroyal.gif
Flying wedge
PCASEY
Knowledgeable

Post by PCASEY »

intothewest wrote:
You could be right..but there is of course little or no "original British" blood in the English...the Anglo-Saxon,Danish and Norman conquests ensured that...the Welsh/Cornish/Bretons (northern France) are the original Britons...the Scots are Irish (im speaking in generalities here of course) the English are German/Danish/French...and the Irish are Spanish/Russian with elements of Slavic and Egyptian thrown in!
getting slightly off thread, but the irish language and scots galic are much closer to the northern european scandinavian languages in construct, you could prob throw russian and slavic in there too. this suggests the original irish come from those areas and not southern europe, whose languages are more latin descent.

there are communities in northern spain where, if you landed you'ld swear you were in mayo with all the pale faces and red hair. Slightly deeper, there are genitic similarities between those and the irish, but it would look like they came from us and not the other way round, so to speak.

Cant say I know anything about egyptians, other than the link between what was found at the Hill of Tara (an egyptian body), but to me, that still says the egyptians although being well travelled wernt really part of the original irish.

Finally, cause I have to work now (thaknfully) its well established that there are no cultural, genitic or other biological links between the poeple of cork and the people of limerick. In fact the collective term 'Munster' should really be split into the 'Muns' of cork and ther 'Terrors' of limerick. It's true, Honest :D
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

intothewest wrote:having checked it out the harp is actually from the old royal british flag and was the lower left quadrant of it,symbolising the southwestern "province" of "Britain"....not exactly a flag id be waving around but anyway...i knew ye were a shower of West Brits!
You wouldn't wave the flag but you happily use the language and support a game invented in Britain? Intothewestbrit.

But really who gives a monkey's? It's the flag of the president of the Republic and that's good enough for me.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

Broken Wing wrote:
intothewest wrote:having checked it out the harp is actually from the old royal british flag and was the lower left quadrant of it,symbolising the southwestern "province" of "Britain"....not exactly a flag id be waving around but anyway...i knew ye were a shower of West Brits!
You wouldn't wave the flag but you happily use the language and support a game invented in Britain? Intothewestbrit.

But really who gives a monkey's? It's the flag of the president of the Republic and that's good enough for me.
Exactly ,The flag with the harp flying angel is also used by ryanair , its the old parliament flag .
The presidential flag is different it has no angel head , its also our colour .
http://www.yourirish.com/flags-of-ireland.htm Irish Presidential Flag
Flying wedge
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

PCASEY wrote:Finally, cause I have to work now (thaknfully) its well established that there are no cultural, genitic or other biological links between the poeple of cork and the people of limerick. In fact the collective term 'Munster' should really be split into the 'Muns' of cork and ther 'Terrors' of limerick. It's true, Honest :D
Don't you mean "Munters" of Cork?