Ireland Refuse the FIFA Fair Play award

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Ireland Refuse the FIFA Fair Play award

Post by sarah_lennon »

Delaney was speaking on the RTÉ Sports Awards for 2009 where he also revealed the FAI have turned down the offer of a Fair Play award from FIFA.

The gesture was made for the Republic's response to Thierry Henry's handball in the build-up to the goal that ruled Giovanni Trapattoni's side out of the World Cup.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1220/ireland.html

FIFA Fair Play award? Kind of like the BNP handing out the curry of the year award
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ireland Refuse the FIFA Fair Play award

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Fair play award for doing what exactly? It's quite clearly money he wants anyway so accepting the award might have put the final nail in the coffin for any financial compensation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

sarah_lennon wrote:Delaney was speaking on the RTÉ Sports Awards for 2009 where he also revealed the FAI have turned down the offer of a Fair Play award from FIFA.

The gesture was made for the Republic's response to Thierry Henry's handball in the build-up to the goal that ruled Giovanni Trapattoni's side out of the World Cup.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1220/ireland.html

FIFA Fair Play award? Kind of like the BNP handing out the curry of the year award
:clap:
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Fair play award for doing what exactly? It's quite clearly money he wants anyway so accepting the award might have put the final nail in the coffin for any financial compensation.
Eh, would YOU accept a moral compensation award?I don think so.
Delaney is right, f%~k Blatter and FIFA they can stick it up their collective arses.
3 Gold Stars
Bobcat
Beginner

Post by Bobcat »

The stupidest thing about that offer is that afaik the fair play award was initially brought in because of Maradona's "hand of God" goal in 86!
LCD_Blue
Bookworm

Post by LCD_Blue »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Fair play award for doing what exactly? It's quite clearly money he wants anyway so accepting the award might have put the final nail in the coffin for any financial compensation.
Delaney is right, f%~k Blatter and FIFA they can stick it up their collective arses.
For once the FAI do something right but a broken clock is right twice a day :lol: Don't expect it to happen too often!!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
I'm going to guess that you read my comment as being "Fair play to Delaney for doing what exactly?" which is not what I meant at all. To answer your question no I wouldn't accept a moral compensation award but my question is what did we do to deserve one? We were a victim of of cheating and kicked up a fuss about it,so how does that deserve a fair play award? That should be reserved for passing up a goal because someone is injured or something along those lines but there was no outstanding bit of fair play on our part to warrant an award for it.
I also don't think Delaney rejected it for any other reason than because he still thinks he can get money off FIFA. He was right to reject but imo he did it for the wrong reasons.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:
I'm going to guess that you read my comment as being "Fair play to Delaney for doing what exactly?" which is not what I meant at all. To answer your question no I wouldn't accept a moral compensation award but my question is what did we do to deserve one? We were a victim of of cheating and kicked up a fuss about it,so how does that deserve a fair play award? That should be reserved for passing up a goal because someone is injured or something along those lines but there was no outstanding bit of fair play on our part to warrant an award for it.
I also don't think Delaney rejected it for any other reason than because he still thinks he can get money off FIFA. He was right to reject but imo he did it for the wrong reasons.
We dont want a fair play award. Its a FIFA olive branch.
As for Delaney wanting money off FIFA, good on him. His chances are Zero but as head of the FAI he has to exhaust every avenue. Of course this is all supposition on your part because maybe Delaney just plain and simply has had enough of Blatter and Co and his response was just a plain old fashioned f%~k OFF.
Would you be so self righteous if we lost the Quins 1/4final last season and were denied our 1st european cup after all the shennannigans that unfolded? Methinks not.
3 Gold Stars
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

SB I think you're still struggling to understand what I mean but I'll take your 1/4 final against Quins hypothetical and will try not to be too self righteous. If we had lost and the events that followed had been similar to the football then here's my take on it. Would I have agreed with accepting a fair play award from the ERC? No. Would we have been due compensation imo? Yes due to the loss of revenue that may have followed. However I think the difference with Delaney is that he's not searching for justice by seeking compensation but instead is trying to make up for the shortfall in ticket sales for Aviva and from the shortfall in the FAI predicted income which had (incredibly) included making the playoffs. IMO asking for a replay was a genuine attempt to seek justice but asking to be the 33rd team was something Delaney knew would never happen but by kicking up a fuss of that magnitude it might eventually lead to compensation which the FAI badly needs.
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:SB I think you're still struggling to understand what I mean but I'll take your 1/4 final against Quins hypothetical and will try not to be too self righteous. If we had lost and the events that followed had been similar to the football then here's my take on it. Would I have agreed with accepting a fair play award from the ERC? No. Would we have been due compensation imo? Yes due to the loss of revenue that may have followed. However I think the difference with Delaney is that he's not searching for justice by seeking compensation but instead is trying to make up for the shortfall in ticket sales for Aviva and from the shortfall in the FAI predicted income which had (incredibly) included making the playoffs. IMO asking for a replay was a genuine attempt to seek justice but asking to be the 33rd team was something Delaney knew would never happen but by kicking up a fuss of that magnitude it might eventually lead to compensation which the FAI badly needs.
The other thing to bear in mind (not that i want to drag all this up again!) is that if Leinster had lost, then they would have kicked up a bigger fuss than they did at the time and the ERC would have had to have acted immediately, rather than sit on their backsides for 3 months. (A Leinster player told me that night that Tommy had used a blood capsule, so it was common knowledge at the time.) The result would have been overturned (there was no way it could not have been) and Leinster would have carried on in their merry little way.
jrc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by jrc »

Any chance Ireland can get into the African Nations Cup, now that Togo have been kicked out??
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

jrc wrote:Any chance Ireland can get into the African Nations Cup, now that Togo have been kicked out??
:?
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Xanthippe wrote:
jrc wrote:Any chance Ireland can get into the African Nations Cup, now that Togo have been kicked out??
He's right - Togo have been disqualified from the tournament for not fulfilling fixtures. We know the reasons behind it, but according to the tournament rules, that is what has happened.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/footb ... d.nations/
Get in the f%~king bag.
jrc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by jrc »

Xanthippe wrote:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpres ... uqabDU0sUw