Random Soccer Thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Random Soccer Thread

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

So Falcao then? Amazing player but can't say I see how he fits in. It's still very exciting though!

Our defence was astonishingly bad on Saturday, don't know how we kept a clean sheet. Midfield was awful as well but nowhere near as poor as the defence. Evans in particular has totally lost the plot. Don't care how long his lay off was, there's no excuse for how bad he has been in the last two games. And yet again Mata, RVP and Rooney showed they don't work together. If those three never play together again then I honestly believe we'll be a different team regardless of how bad the defence is. Am confident midfield will improve after the international break.

Would definitely sacrifice Falcao or another midfielder and defender. Really surprised we're not buying more of them considering money obviously isn't an issue, doubt it's a case of having to choose between Falcao and someone else. Haven't a clue how is will all turn out but it'll be a hell of a ride anyway! To think people thought we wouldn't be able to sign big names without CL football....looks like Moyes was more of an issue!
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

On the Man United front it Looks like Van Pierse needs an op and hernandez and wellbeck are off on loan.

I think a fully fit Falcoa is the best 9 in the world so hell do really well.

United defence looked dreadful Saturday especially Evans (who is having a nightmare week) but if shaw roja and Rafael are back fit. That will see the end of young and Valencia as wing backs and with blind and Herrera in the midfield in front of them the whole side would look a lot stronger.

Still can't see them reaching the top 4 until they sign a vidal or strootman type quality midfielder.

ps Swansea City joint top of the league bring on Chelsea :D
ichabodscrane
Graduate

Post by ichabodscrane »

I don't know if this has been discussed here already,

I was looking at RTE's coverage of the Ireland game last night and the subject of Mark Noble possibly declaring was brought up. Richie Sadlier didn't have a problem whereas Kenny C was positively outraged by the idea saying that Noble had pinned his hopes on an England call up and he failed ( having played up to and including U21's) so his international aspirations should not be resuscitated by Ireland.

I would be interested in hearing what you fellow football fans think of the Noble situation if he were to declare?. I for one am against it, he never had any interest in playing for us until he was left out of potentially the worst midfield selection that England have seen in over a decade, and at 27 he would be stunting the growth of Hendrick & McCarthy who could potentially become better than him.

Plus I don't wanna think that we're desperate enough to want an England reject (harsh) who plays for West Ham and who couldn't get a place in the extended squad ahead of Colback, i.e the ginger Pirlo :)
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I'd take any premiership players available, in fact I'd be looking to oz and America to see if there were any viable candidates. We're pants and he has Irish heritage. I'd give them Morrissey back though.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

If he's improve the team (and he would) I'd take it. We are not in a position to be rejecting premiership standard players.
At 27 he's in his prime and I wouldn't hold the fact that it hasn't worked out for him with England against him.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

There are only 2 questions that need to be asked

would mark noble improve your team ?

is mark noble qualified for your team ?

If the answer to both is Yes, get him in there.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Noble is still "thinking about it". He clearly doesn't Identify with the Irish in any way so will only be playing for us in order to experience International Football.

Having said that, who is to say that when he joins the team he doesn't create a connection or bond with both the fans and his team mates. If he does that, and I've no reason to believe he wont, hes as Irish as Jack Charlton.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

How could he see us playing in an empty Aviva against the mighty Oman and not want to play for us?
ichabodscrane
Graduate

Post by ichabodscrane »

I respect your views and I can see the merit in some of them, but I can't help but think that players these days want to play international football to have an extra bargaining chip when it comes to their next contract negotiations. The whole thing about him possibly forming a bond with the players & fans is a good point and a plausible possibility.

For me noble is nothing special, he's 27 and his ego is hurting because he didn't make it into a midfield deprived of real quality and devoid of any experience.

The point I'm trying to make is A) who do we drop, older less flexible players like Green, Whelan etc or B) do we give his place to a promising player like McCarthy, Hendrick or god forbid some player who comes to prominence in the next few years, Hourihane, Gleeson etc.

I think it's pretty clear that I don't want him, not because he's English but because he's only 'considering' joining us due to his failure to make the three lions.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

I saw most of the Irish game (congrats on the win btw) Noble would get into that side and would be a big player for you guys.

I'm sure once he gets selected hell get into the swing of things,by all accounts he is a good pro and West Ham fans love him.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

I think at this stage Noble would be a welcome addition. I say at this stage because the number of top flight players available to us has been diminishing for some time now.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

offshorerules wrote:I think at this stage Noble would be a welcome addition. I say at this stage because the number of top flight players available to us has been diminishing for some time now.
Thats more perception than reality though, out of 11 starters on Sunday, nine play top flight football as do the three substitutes we used.
I have Bumbleflex
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Well Wales nearly drew with the might of Andorra!

Thank goodness for Bale
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Dave Cahill wrote:
offshorerules wrote:I think at this stage Noble would be a welcome addition. I say at this stage because the number of top flight players available to us has been diminishing for some time now.
Thats more perception than reality though, out of 11 starters on Sunday, nine play top flight football as do the three substitutes we used.
By definition perhaps but not by what I would class as top notch. For example how many of the 12 you cited play for a team that finished in the top 4 four of the pl last year? Or for that matter the top 6? There was time when we as a country supplied the English top flight with numerous top quality players but its a long time ago.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

offshorerules wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
By definition perhaps but not by what I would class as top notch. For example how many of the 12 you cited play for a team that finished in the top 4 four of the pl last year? Or for that matter the top 6? There was time when we as a country supplied the English top flight with numerous top quality players but its a long time ago.
That was a very long time ago. Even during Japorea the team profile was pretty much identical to what we have now
I have Bumbleflex
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

No, I don't think that's accurate. In 2002 there were several players that we paying at top 6 sides at the time or who had played for a top 6 club. Robbie Keane, Roy Keane, Steve Finnan, Steve Staunton, Jason McAteer, Niall Quinn and Shay Given come to mind. Plus there were players very close to that level, Kevin Kilbane, Ian Harte, Richard Dunne and a few others. In reality they were a much stronger squad.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

offshorerules wrote:No, I don't think that's accurate. In 2002 there were several players that we paying at top 6 sides at the time or who had played for a top 6 club. Robbie Keane, Roy Keane, Steve Finnan, Steve Staunton, Jason McAteer, Niall Quinn and Shay Given come to mind. Plus there were players very close to that level, Kevin Kilbane, Ian Harte, Richard Dunne and a few others. In reality they were a much stronger squad.
I really wanted to disagree with Dave there because I've great memories of that team but actually I don't think he's far off. I certainly think the team was much better than it is now, but he's still not far off. Roy Keane wasn't at the World Cup, Gary Breen didn't have a club during it iirc, Quinn retired straight after it and both McAteer and Staunton's best days were definitely behind them. A midfield two of Kinsella and Holland is hardly that much better on paper than we have now, Duff was still at Blackburn and it was only in the last few months of that season that he showed brilliant form in the league.

Whilst I do think the quality was better, I think the big thing was that a lot of the more average players played out of their skins around that time. Lets not forget that that World Cup was all that team qualified for.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Better to be a has been than a never was. All the guys I mentioned played at the top or near the top of their chosen profession. Something a lot of todays players will never achieve.

Also not looking to open any old sores but Roy Keane was there he just came home quickly. ;)
Tonic Wine
Bookworm

Post by Tonic Wine »

The team was not that good but they performed brilliantly.I thought they played spain and germany off the park in that tournament.What different directions we have gone in since then.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

offshorerules wrote:Better to be a has been than a never was. All the guys I mentioned played at the top or near the top of their chosen profession. Something a lot of todays players will never achieve.
They played for their generations version of Stoke or Hull or whatever - good players with midtable sides.

The team that started against Germany in 2002 was NUFC, FFC, Unattached, AVFC, LUFC, LUFC, CAFC, Ipswich, SAFC, THFC, BRFC

Against Georgia, Milwall, Wolves, SAFC, SCFC, EFC, EFC, SCFC, EFC, HCFC, SCFC, LAG.

Not all that different in terms of profile or achievement
I have Bumbleflex