Random Soccer Thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Random Soccer Thread

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

No Rojo is a CB, just played LB at the World Cup.

I think Di Maria can be that kind of player to an extent. Not in the way that Ronaldo and Messi dominate games of course but there have been plenty of games where he's the one driving the team on. He did it a bit in the World Cup before getting injured, Messi may have got a couple of winners but Di Maria was the one trying to get them going for the most part. He did it in the champions league final as well and won MOTM when Ronaldo and Bale were largely anonymous aside from the winner. Tbh I was never his biggest fan because I thought he went missing in games but friends were raving about him so I watched him carefully and he's got a big heart. His pace and ability to cross (which has been abysmal in our team for years) will give us something we've badly needed for years but again I have to question how he fits into this new formation, he may have the attributes we lack but will he be able to display them? I'm not so sure.

I certainly don't expect Liverpool to drop back down but surely you can see it'll be tougher with champions league football and no Suarez? I've no doubt your squad is stronger but not having a week to prepare for at least 6 league games will take its toll. That's one thing in United's favour and yet we've totally ballsed it up already, didn't improve on anything in the second game. Before the season started I think that was a reasonable thing to predict would be in our favour, whether it would be enough to get ahead of you or into the top 4 is another matter.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I certainly don't expect Liverpool to drop back down but surely you can see it'll be tougher with champions league football and no Suarez? I've no doubt your squad is stronger but not having a week to prepare for at least 6 league games will take its toll. That's one thing in United's favour and yet we've totally ballsed it up already, didn't improve on anything in the second game. Before the season started I think that was a reasonable thing to predict would be in our favour, whether it would be enough to get ahead of you or into the top 4 is another matter.
I have a lot of faith in Brendan Rodgers. Season one wasn't good but you could at least see that he was trying to bring his philosophy to the way they played. Season two he nearly won the league against teams with far more resources then LFC had.

Suarez is a world class player and a lot of teams were beaten before they stood on the pitch because they were so worried about him but his form in the second half of the season wasn't as good and it was in the first half and its the second half where they went on a great run that took them to within one game of winning it. Our squad is far better this season. The first 11 was good last year but there was nothing after that so injury or loss of form would have badly effected us. There is goals all over the team so its not something I'm concerned about... but if we shore up the defence, then I'd be hopeful of approx 80 points and that should be plenty to make the top 4.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Unless Man United sign a top central midfielder they won't get near the top 4. Fletcher and Cleverly wouldn't get into any of the top ten sides in the division. At the risk of sounding overly harsh , when they play together they are possibly one of the worst central midfield pairings in the whole league
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

JB1973 wrote:Unless Man United sign a top central midfielder they won't get near the top 4. Fletcher and Cleverly wouldn't get into any of the top ten sides in the division. At the risk of sounding overly harsh , when they play together they are possibly one of the worst central midfield pairings in the whole league
They were appalling on Sunday, genuinely relegation standard. BUT hopefully they'll be nowhere near the team in a month or two. Carrick and Herrera were injured and if the rumours are true then we are after a CM (papers today saying Vidal, even if its not him I'd expect someone) and Blind. Plus Di Maria may well have been signed to play as part of a three in midfield. Wherever he plays, we could well have four new options for central midfield compared to last season. I don't count Fellaini because he won't improve us. Fletcher had a good pre season so I was hopeful about him but he's been so bad in the first two games that I can't see him playing many more games for us.

Same with the defence, people are saying it's been really poor in the first two games. I don't think it's been that bad overall but most of the defenders have looked dreadful on the ball and that has brought pressure on us, but we have Shaw, Rafael, Rojo, Evans, and hopefully another new signing, that totally changes the landscape.

Now our new defenders and midfielders will take time to settle in but I've no doubt there'll be a massive improvement in quality compared to last season and our last two games.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

I have no doubts you will improve , LVG is a top coach and when you put in the likes of shaw,evans,roja,rafael,carrick,herrera and di maria into any side you will see an improvement,

But you do have to wonder why a club the size of Manchester United, only has 1 left back, 1 right back and so many duds in midfield.

Anderson,fellaini,cleverly,fletcher (granted illness is the cause of his drop in form) basically all look dreadful when they play.

Vidal will make a huge difference he is a world class talent
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Time for Paul Pogba to go back home
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Peg Leg wrote:Time for Paul Pogba to go back home
There was a period when he felt he should be playing but Fergie picked Park and Fabio in central midfield instead....quite possibly Fergie's biggest mistake. Regardless of what he thought of his wage demands etc, we needed him he'd have been a perfect fit.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
There was a period when he felt he should be playing but Fergie picked Park and Fabio in central midfield instead....quite possibly Fergie's biggest mistake. Regardless of what he thought of his wage demands etc, we needed him he'd have been a perfect fit.
He's still only 12 yrs old or something. LVG could work wonders with a unit like him.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:

I'D say appointing Moyes was an bigger mistake.

Pogba will either be at real Madrid or PSG next year I'm guessing.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

MK Dons 4-0 Man Utd!

LVG's first mini-crisis.
Have to say, very enjoyable. :D
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

that#s the worst display I have ever seen from Manchester United, Evans hernandez and Anderson especially should be ashamed of their "efforts" last night
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

JB1973 wrote:that#s the worst display I have ever seen from Manchester United, Evans hernandez and Anderson especially should be ashamed of their "efforts" last night
Moyes not looking too bad now.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

LVG out bring back Moyes!!!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Certainly up there as the worst performance I've ever seen from us, certainly defensively it's hard to think of a worse one. We've been ripped apart by quality teams before but the lack of effort in trying to stop all four goals was appalling. Always been a fan of Evans but he was beyond useless and showed a total lack of leadership, should be embarrassed. Vidic and Rio both had absolute howlers over the years but at least they showed a stomach for the fight regardless, Evans looked like he didn't want to be there and that's not something that will change when he gets his match sharpness back. At the other end, Hernandez put in as bad a performance from a United striker as I've ever seen. At least he kept trying but his confidence has regressed to Torres like levels.

We've no luck at the moment. Don't get me wrong, we're playing terribly, but the mental hangover from last season is even worse than I'd imagined. I think when another injury happens (one in the first half of the three games so far) or a goal goes in then the heads just drop. It's almost inevitable that we're not going to win.

If the new signings get sucked into that way of thinking before they've settled then we're absolutely screwed. I've said this far too many times over the last 12 months but surely we've hit rock bottom now?
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Certainly up there as the worst performance I've ever seen from us, certainly defensively it's hard to think of a worse one. We've been ripped apart by quality teams before but the lack of effort in trying to stop all four goals was appalling. Always been a fan of Evans but he was beyond useless and showed a total lack of leadership, should be embarrassed. Vidic and Rio both had absolute howlers over the years but at least they showed a stomach for the fight regardless, Evans looked like he didn't want to be there and that's not something that will change when he gets his match sharpness back. At the other end, Hernandez put in as bad a performance from a United striker as I've ever seen. At least he kept trying but his confidence has regressed to Torres like levels.

We've no luck at the moment. Don't get me wrong, we're playing terribly, but the mental hangover from last season is even worse than I'd imagined. I think when another injury happens (one in the first half of the three games so far) or a goal goes in then the heads just drop. It's almost inevitable that we're not going to win.

If the new signings get sucked into that way of thinking before they've settled then we're absolutely screwed. I've said this far too many times over the last 12 months but surely we've hit rock bottom now?
A bit to go yet I think. If you come up against a firing City or Chelsea team and even possibly Spurs, Arsenal, Everton or Liverpool you could get badly beaten. But the upside is Van Gaal has a plan and therefore you are better off than last season.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I've said this far too many times over the last 12 months but surely we've hit rock bottom now?
You don't know many Leeds fans do you?
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

20mill for Falcao must be the steal of the summer.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Lamb of BOD wrote:20mill for Falcao must be the steal of the summer.
Can't believe Liverpool didn't have a o at him for that kind of money
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

Armchair wrote:
Lamb of BOD wrote:20mill for Falcao must be the steal of the summer.
Can't believe Liverpool didn't have a o at him for that kind of money
Especially considering reports were wrong and he's signing for Manchester on loan
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

One good thing came from the weekend and that is we can still do the.........

What's the difference between Manchester United and a triangle?

A triangle has three points.

Ok I'll get my coat.....