Random Soccer Thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Random Soccer Thread

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Logorrhea wrote:They were two bookings alright, cant complain about the sending off, two stupid, pointless tackles to make.

As a spurs fan I cant complain about the result, thought we got what we deserved. We were missing too many of our key players (Lennon, Pienaar, Krancjar, Hutton and Kaboul on the right side alone) but that doesnt excuse how disorganised we looked, especially late on. Real didnt have to get out of 2nd gear.

A shame really but we can still try to win the second leg and have a decent night out. Been a great season for us overall, shame how it seems to be ending a little flat.

Personally thought spurs were a joke in that match. No passion no fight. They took nothing to Madrid and as such got spanked.
I suppose lacking European pedigree eventually caught up with them.
Shame for harry, he was let down by his players, Crouchie in particular.
As for Gomes :?
3 Gold Stars
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Avenger wrote:I think they need to start sending lads off for feigning injury or something like that. The problem is how do you decide who is feigning and who is actually hurt? And some of these guys move very fast so it can be hard to see if there was any contact or not.
Video Ref. Simple and effective.
3 Gold Stars
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Avenger wrote:I think they need to start sending lads off for feigning injury or something like that. The problem is how do you decide who is feigning and who is actually hurt? And some of these guys move very fast so it can be hard to see if there was any contact or not.
When do you go to the ref? Player dives... we wait 30 or 40 seconds while the ref has a look at a replay to see if he was actually fouled or if he dived? Yellow card for whoever the offender was? Games would become farcical in that situation I think which is why FIFA are reluctant to go down that road.
I'd prefer a review of each game and any blatant diving be punished with a suspension of a few games. Lads would out the diving fairly quick if they were going to miss matches.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

ronk wrote: Temporary suspensions, like yellow cards in rugby. Would need to be combined with retroactive punishments for diving and a little more slack for mistimed tackles.
What about the player going off, team down to 10 for 15 mins or whatever, then a different player coming back as replacement? Red carded player off for the game, his team is punished by being down to 10 for a period of the game, but game can still be a contest. Oh, and the player sent off is suspended for 1 game or more depending on what he did.
Could it work?
Dont Panic!
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Avenger wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:
When do you go to the ref? Player dives... we wait 30 or 40 seconds while the ref has a look at a replay to see if he was actually fouled or if he dived? Yellow card for whoever the offender was? Games would become farcical in that situation I think which is why FIFA are reluctant to go down that road.
I'd prefer a review of each game and any blatant diving be punished with a suspension of a few games. Lads would out the diving fairly quick if they were going to miss matches.
The game is a farce anyway at the moment. Has been for years if we're honest.

The Cult of the Cheat is as strong as it ever was. Its ingrained into the majority of players now to trick,con, dive etc in order to win games.

Until the authorities start nailing the cheats with monetary penalties coupled with hefty bans then the game will continue to disintegrate. FFS even the Brazilians are becoming masters at diving and conning. You know the game is in trouble when they go down that route.

I dont care what carnage stopping the game constantly causes because we need to take a long term view on this to eradicate the cheats. Bring in video refs and retrospective punishments.

Have two officials in a booth armed with sky type equipment who can contact the ref or linesman if they notice foul play. Stop the game, replay it again and direct the ref to book the cheat. This will soon stop the nonsense served up on a weekly basis.
3 Gold Stars
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Sauvignon Blank wrote: The game is a farce anyway at the moment. Has been for years if we're honest.

The Cult of the Cheat is as strong as it ever was. Its ingrained into the majority of players now to trick,con, dive etc in order to win games.

Until the authorities start nailing the cheats with monetary penalties coupled with hefty bans then the game will continue to disintegrate. FFS even the Brazilians are becoming masters at diving and conning. You know the game is in trouble when they go down that route.

I dont care what carnage stopping the game constantly causes because we need to take a long term view on this to eradicate the cheats. Bring in video refs and retrospective punishments.

Have two officials in a booth armed with sky type equipment who can contact the ref or linesman if they notice foul play. Stop the game, replay it again and direct the ref to book the cheat. This will soon stop the nonsense served up on a weekly basis.
Well put. Pretty much echoes my thoughts on the game currently.
Dont Panic!
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

I think another card which the ref can show to send a player off for 5mins for offences including cheating and remonstrating with the match officials would be good. You'd stamp the b*%&!x pretty quickly if, after surrounding the ref after a close offside decision, a team had 8 players on the sidelines for the next 5 mins.
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

BlueArmyOriginal wrote:I think another card which the ref can show to send a player off for 5mins for offences including cheating and remonstrating with the match officials would be good. You'd stamp the b*%&!x pretty quickly if, after surrounding the ref after a close offside decision, a team had 8 players on the sidelines for the next 5 mins.
Good point.

We shouldnt lose sight of the fact we need a culture change. It would be messy at the start but players will soon get the message.
3 Gold Stars
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

I see the Liverpool-Arsenal Premiership match has been scheduled for the exact same time as the F.A. Cup semi-final between Bolton and Stoke and is on Sky. You know which one the pubs will be showing. Amazed there hasn't been more of a fuss made about this.
Bosco
Mullet

Post by Bosco »

I am sure you could get them to check the score of the Liverpool game at half time ;)

Everyone that wants to watch that game will be in Wembley. Bolton and stoke dont have 90k fans between them :P and the ones that dont go would prefer to watch Arsenal and Liverpool
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

sarah_lennon wrote:Sergio Ramos does a Baros

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=329C1ZZf ... e=youtu.be
Kwality!
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Spotted at least one Puta

Who'd be a wag

Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

switzerland 2

england 0

after 35mins . . .
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Jack Warner has resigned.

"As a consequence of Mr Warner's resignation, all ethics committee procedures against him have been closed and the presumption of innocence is maintained," said a Fifa statement.

Good to see that FIFA is still clean. Un-f*cking-believable.............
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Logorrhea wrote:Jack Warner has resigned.

"As a consequence of Mr Warner's resignation, all ethics committee procedures against him have been closed and the presumption of innocence is maintained," said a Fifa statement.

Good to see that FIFA is still clean. Un-f*cking-believable.............
The sword of truth works :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

More like the feather duster of flimflammery
I have Bumbleflex
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

The draw for the qualifying rounds of the Champions and Europa leagues were held today.

Shamrock Rovers were seeded and drew Estonian side FC Flora Tallinn in the second round of the Champions League.

In the Europa League St. Pats drew IBV of Iceland in the first qualifying round and Bohemians face the winner of NK Široki Brijeg of Bosnian-Herzegovinia and NK Olimpija Ljubljana of Slovenia in the second round.

Fulham face NSI Runavik from the Faroe Islands in the first qualifying round.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4