Random Soccer Thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Re: Random Soccer Thread

Post by Logorrhea »

Strange how expectations for what is effectively a bunch of average premiership/championship players, are so high.

Would everyone be happy if we played more attractive football and ended up like Wales?
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Logorrhea wrote:Strange how expectations for what is effectively a bunch of average premiership/championship players, are so high.

Would everyone be happy if we played more attractive football and ended up like Wales?
What about playing dull football and losing 6-1, 4-0 etc? (not using this as a stick to beat him with, just wondering). I have no views either way. I just think Brady comes across as a petulant child.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

tackle-bag wrote:A full house showed up at that farce this evening according to the BBC. Have these people nothing better to do with their money than line John Delaney's pockets? I thought there was supposed to be a recession on in this country.
I wasn't there but I believe children's tickets were €10 and adult's started at €35. It wasn't exactly IRFU pricing.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

suisse wrote:
Logorrhea wrote:Strange how expectations for what is effectively a bunch of average premiership/championship players, are so high.

What about playing dull football and losing 6-1, 4-0 etc? (not using this as a stick to beat him with, just wondering). I have no views either way. I just think Brady comes across as a petulant child.
I think Brady has a real problem in that he agrees with most of what Dunphy and Giles are saying but is torn by his loyalty to Trap so it's fingers in the ears "nah nah nah I can't hear you " stuff. Much like Gerry Thornley when he encounters any criticism of Kidney.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

If you have a poor team and you try to play open attacking football you will get spanked every time. It was rather telling yesterday that the manager got flustered when asked could they not play with more ambition "we are Ireland, do you think we are England or Austria or Germany?" My memory may not be precise but the point is he does not believe the players are any good.

He's right you know. They aren't.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Wes Hoolahan is.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I don't mean to be harsh on them nor do I ever want to watch what Trappatoni's team serves up. It's awfully hard to watch.

He does seem to take a perverse delight in sticking to his guns and not playing players though.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

I don't think people are suggesting that we should try to play like Barcelona, just that when there is a choice between two players, it should be made in favour of a guy who can actually play football. Conor Sammon looked completely out of his depth last night against pretty average opposition and I believe made a negative contribution overall. He can't do basic things like trap a ball or deliver a cushioned header, and for a big guy he uses his size extremely ineffectively. Of course, Trap would have known this if he had just looked at his stats before the game last night - 16 goals in four seasons in the League of Ireland, followed by 17 goals over three seasons in Scotland. So instead of lashing this big lump up front to run around aimlessly, he could have picked Wes Hoolahan without altering his philosophy for the team. We were all over Austria for long periods of the game last night - if we had played someone who could string a few passes together, we might easily have been 3-1 or 4-1 up going into those final minutes.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

fourthirtythree wrote:If you have a poor team and you try to play open attacking football you will get spanked every time. It was rather telling yesterday that the manager got flustered when asked could they not play with more ambition "we are Ireland, do you think we are England or Austria or Germany?" My memory may not be precise but the point is he does not believe the players are any good.

He's right you know. They aren't.
Disagree with that entirely. We are a decent international side with some potentially very good players like McClean,McCarthy,Gibson,Long, Coleman,Wilson and Hoolahan.

Trap will persist with limited players like Whelan and Sammon to the detriment of our team. He is incredibly negative and fearful when it comes to his preparation and teamsheet.

FFS he believes Austria to be superior to us :?

Outside of Spain,Holland and Germany (maybe Italy at a push) at present there is not one side to fear in Europe..not one.

We can and should be beating the likes of Austria and Sweden. The reason we don't is because he leaves players like Whelan and Sammon on chasing their tails and giving the ball away when they eventually get it. Scandalous for a manager not to haul Whelan off the other night when everyone could see his contribution apart from the corner kick was abysmal. He was a midfielder FFS :?
Play cannot bypass them, midfielders control games. Its that simple.

The fear spread in the last 15mins and Austria deserved their equaliser, for this alone Trap should be ashamed of himself for allowing what happened unfold. He could have plugged that hole easily.
3 Gold Stars
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Gareth Bale rumored to be heading for Madrid for a anywhere between £80-£100 million.

If Madrid were to make an offer over £85 million I'd sell him in an instant. That money (even in installments) will pay for a good portion of our new stadium.

Question is, do Madrid actually have the money to pay what they are rumored to be offering. Personally I don't think they do.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Logorrhea wrote:Gareth Bale rumored to be heading for Madrid for a anywhere between £80-£100 million.

If Madrid were to make an offer over £85 million I'd sell him in an instant. That money (even in installments) will pay for a good portion of our new stadium.

Question is, do Madrid actually have the money to pay what they are rumored to be offering. Personally I don't think they do.
Not sure you are getting all that cash.

Real hope to complete a £95m deal for Bale, offering £51m plus Argentina winger Angel Di Maria, 25, and Portugal left-back Fabio Coentrao, 25, before they finish their tour of the United States on 11 August.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... -tour.html
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Not sure if Spurs would be too interested in either of those lads. Fabio Coentrao maybe. Don't need DiMaria.

Brilliant add to NBCs coverage of the premiership.

Really well done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KeG_i8CWE8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KeG_i8CWE8[/youtube]
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Logorrhea wrote:Not sure if Spurs would be too interested in either of those lads. Fabio Coentrao maybe. Don't need DiMaria.
Spurs have a very good squad... but are a bit light up front - but Solado should help there. Getting the bones of £100m to add to what is already there is surely something that Spurs fans would be happy about. Bale is very good but he's vastly overrated by the British media.

I don't know why you'd write off Di Maria. He's far superior to the likes of Lennon who he'd be competing with to get in the team. But if I had a choice of what Madrid player to push for, it'd be Ozil. Excellent player.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Logorrhea wrote:Not sure if Spurs would be too interested in either of those lads. Fabio Coentrao maybe. Don't need DiMaria.

Brilliant add to NBCs coverage of the premiership.

Really well done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KeG_i8CWE8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KeG_i8CWE8[/youtube]

Excellent.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Avenger wrote:I don't know why you'd write off Di Maria. He's far superior to the likes of Lennon who he'd be competing with to get in the team.
If he came it would be for a salary that would break our structure, for a player that wouldn't want to be here.

If he was interested then you'd be dead right, he would be a massive improvement, but at the moment hes just not a typical spurs kind of signing.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I have Bumbleflex
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Proper journalism. Great read.
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

Superb piece well worth the read.Pity he couldn't replace Conor George.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

I know we lost, but Robbie Keane, 60 international goals! That is an amazing achievement, very few men have done better than that. His total is probably about the same as the next 3 highest Irish goalscorers combined. There's only 1 Keano!!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Mickado
Knowledgeable

Post by Mickado »

blockhead wrote:I know we lost, but Robbie Keane, 60 international goals! That is an amazing achievement, very few men have done better than that. His total is probably about the same as the next 3 highest Irish goalscorers combined. There's only 1 Keano!!
Had to look that up.

Niall Quinn 21
Frank Stapleton 20
Tony Cascarino 19

Tip of the cap, spot on.
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?