World Cup Thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Mackman15
Mullet

Re: World Cup Thread

Post by Mackman15 »

Cool as you ye like with the final peno......

the short run up never seems to do the job and yet all too often someone tries it to no avail
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

sarah_lennon wrote:Unreal! Is Suarez to be pilloried as Henry was? Personally I think they're very different situations!
The fact the ref saw and dealt with the situation makes it different imo. In my opinion it was like a professional foul you'd see in rugby, sometimes you have to kill the ball to stop yourself conceding a try. I immediately thought he made the right call, it was either definitely concede a goal or probably concede a goal and he went for probably.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

My main problem with Suarez's actions is simply why didn't he just head it?
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

Congrats to Netherlands and Uruguay, giving a big two fingers to the FIFA script writers.
madridlion
Knowledgeable

Post by madridlion »

Pathetic sport, cheating is rewarded, how many young kids will follow the example of the Uruguay player in their underage match tomorrow. I am sickened :evil:
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

madridlion wrote:Pathetic sport, cheating is rewarded, how many young kids will follow the example of the Uruguay player in their underage match tomorrow. I am sickened :evil:
Hopefully loads, goalkeepers are in short supply these days.
I have Bumbleflex
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

sarah_lennon wrote:Unreal! Is Suarez to be pilloried as Henry was? Personally I think they're very different situations!
Why? Henry did what he had to do to get France to the World Cup. He did it by cheating. Suarez did what he had to do to keep Uruguay in the tournament. He did it by cheating. At the end of the day, these are further examples of how brutal this sport is. The referee seeing it etc makes no different. Ghana's progression ended not by the missed the penalty or what happened before and after, but by a calculated moment of cheating. I'm sure some people will say it was instinctive, but he knows he is not a goalkeeper. He cheated to keep Uruguay in the competition.

Luis Suarez. Great player. Broke my heart last week. But a cheat. Like the rest of them.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Suarez cheated, was caught and punished. Not the ref's fault that the rules stipulate a penalty and not a penalty goal. Not his fault Gyan missed it either.

Henry cheated and got away with it. That, for me, is the difference between the incidents. Henry didn't deserve the outcry since the game is full of cheating.

Of course rugby is also full of cheating.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Germans destroying the Argies.

The scary thing is that Eamon Dunphy called this match absolutely perfectly. :?
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

As Gary Lineker said after the match

Ein, zwei, drei, the Germans strike vier into their opponents!

I wish I hadn't lost my flags on the M50 'cause now everyone thinks I'm only supporting the Germans because they're winning :cry:
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Germany Spain could and should be a cracking game but could just as easily be a dreadfully dull 1-0.

I fully expect an all European final and am delighted to see the Netherlands doing so well. After the slow start it's been a good World Cup with plenty of shocks and me and Mrs. Wing are surprised how much we're enjoying the kicky ball.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Broken Wing wrote:Germany Spain could and should be a cracking game but could just as easily be a dreadfully dull 1-0.

I fully expect an all European final and am delighted to see the Netherlands doing so well. After the slow start it's been a good World Cup with plenty of shocks and me and Mrs. Wing are surprised how much we're enjoying the kicky ball.
I hope its a Spain v Holland final (i just cannot bring myself to support ze Germans). I would have to agree, myself and my better half are really enjoying the tournament.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0pM--105GQ

Brilliant apres match from Saturday night. :clap:
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Donny B. wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0pM--105GQ

Brilliant apres match from Saturday night. :clap:

t'was class alright. Reminded me of Soupy Norman!!!!
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

The Apres Match stuff has bee very good during the tournament but it'll be hard to top Saturday night.

"I'm going to ask you a question using this pen..........." :lol: genius.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I actually think Aprés Match has been awful. I'm a huge fan of it usually but there's barely been anything that made me laugh in this one. Tbh I think the lads in studio have been far more entertaining, Bill and Eamon in particular have been in flying form!
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

madridlion wrote:Pathetic sport, cheating is rewarded, how many young kids will follow the example of the Uruguay player in their underage match tomorrow. I am sickened :evil:
Equivalent incidents happen in pretty much every game of professional rugby, breaking the laws to prevent scores. Richie McCaw has made a career of being rewarded for cheating, and he's one of the best players in the world.
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

Danthefan wrote:
Equivalent incidents happen in pretty much every game of professional rugby, breaking the laws to prevent scores. Richie McCaw has made a career of being rewarded for cheating, and he's one of the best players in the world.
I feel sorry for those poor misguided people who genuinely support PuffBall and have idolised these effeminate nonses ... it’s the fans that are being cheated in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJwVVPkQEJs
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

f%~k you spain, ruined this tourney on me
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

The octopus got it right. again.
Get in the f%~king bag.