World Cup Thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Donny B.
Devin Toner

World Cup Thread

Post by Donny B. »

May as well start one....

Rio out :lol: Couldn't happen to a nicer sleazebag. He was playing shite anyway so he's no loss.

Drogba out :lol: for him but :x for Ivory Coast
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: World Cup Thread

Post by hugonaut »

I thought you were getting in on the ground floor of a RWC11 thread Donny!
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

Jaysus Donny we should all be supporting England ala 1966 , how times change.

Seriously I do not like alot of the England team but the missus and everyone else around me is a Sasanach so have a slight favour for them. But truthfully away from the Englanders I'll be really supporting Germany. Mattaus and co maybe nearly 50 these days but the germans are a great bunch of lads :D
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

hugonaut wrote:I thought you were getting in on the ground floor of a RWC11 thread Donny!
Wouldn't be in 'other sports' then would it? 8)
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Leinster Exile wrote:Jaysus Donny we should all be supporting England ala 1966 , how times change.

Seriously I do not like alot of the England team but the missus and everyone else around me is a Sasanach so have a slight favour for them. But truthfully away from the Englanders I'll be really supporting Germany. Mattaus and co maybe nearly 50 these days but the germans are a great bunch of lads :D
I'm actually pretty ambivelent towards England the country but the combination of the hype around them (e.g. that fecking Carlsberg Ad) and the fact that so many of their players are utter toerags (Rio, Terry, Cashley Cole etc) usually makes me smile when they fail dismally. :D
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

Donny B. wrote:
Leinster Exile wrote:Jaysus Donny we should all be supporting England ala 1966 , how times change.

I'm actually pretty ambivelent towards England the country but the combination of the hype around them (e.g. that fecking Carlsberg Ad) and the fact that so many of their players are utter toerags (Rio, Terry, Cashley Cole etc) usually makes me smile when they fail dismally. :D
I have a theory albeit a very weak one. 1966 was the last world cup not to be televised live so we didn't get the English media boll0x shoved down our throats therefore we just supported our nearest neighours even with the slightly fractuous relationship. From 1970 onwards its been England expects and its been painful, I've laughed my knackers off at many a world cup with England going out on pennos.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

[quote="Donny B."]

Rio out :lol: Couldn't happen to a nicer sleazebag.
/quote]

Why is Rio a sleazebag?

The guy does an amazing amount of stuff for charities and has spent a huge amount of time working with kids from the are he grew up in to try and fight gang culture.

Is this your anti Man Utd bias coming trough?

Personally find the fact that you are laughing at someone missing out on playing at the World Cup reprehensible. He has lost out on what should be a high light of a footballers career and you think it is funny. I really thought more of you than that, Donny.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

North Korea should have been kicked out after that unprovocted show of aggression against a fellow competitor. The tournament is therefore poorer for their inclusion. South Korea are 11/1 to win their group containing a dysfunctional Argentina, over-rated Nigeria and mediocre Greece. Must be value in that, especially after the drubbing they dished out on Japan in Yokohama. Or was the hideous defeat to Belarus a few days earlier more to their level?

One African side usually does well, but they're all losing their best players.

As ever, anyone but Portugal or Dublin please!!!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

IanD wrote:

Why is Rio a sleazebag?

The guy does an amazing amount of stuff for charities and has spent a huge amount of time working with kids from the are he grew up in to try and fight gang culture.

Personally find the fact that you are laughing at someone missing out on playing at the World Cup reprehensible. He has lost out on what should be a high light of a footballers career and you think it is funny. I really thought more of you than that, Donny.
F**k him, he's a lowlife sack of shite, whose idea of fun is secretly filming himself and his mates gangbanging girls. I didn't like him before he went to United and and ran away from a drugs test and I think even less of him now. How do you know what he does for "Charidee" anyway other than what his press agent tells you? Cry me a river!!! :roll:
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Drogba rejoined the Ivory Coast squad today after an operation on a broken arm.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

suisse wrote:As ever, anyone but Portugal or Dublin please!!!
Very sly application of the two birds, one stone mantra..... I see what ye did there.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

For anyone interested in a little competition: http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic ... 11&t=18065
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Never mind the poxy Black Eyed Peas, here's some Eamo Classics to get us in the mood for the World Cup

Kicking off with -

About the Fergie V Strachen feud.

Eamon: "Scots - they're either nice or they're horrid and these two are horrid."
Bill: "The Scots wont like that Eamon, thats bordering on racism".
Eamon: "Its not racism its ethnic criticism, Bill".

----

Bill: Can i just interrupt and say somethi.............

Panel: NO, BILL!

----

On the subject of Ronaldinho

Eamon: "He had two great seasons, Bill, he was world footballer of the year and he won the Champions League for Barcelona. And then he went to the party."

Gilesy: "He's still at the party, Bill"

Bill: "It must have been one of Eamon's Parties!"

----

Eamon: "Look at Graeme, he won four Champions Leagues."

Graeme Souness: " Three."

Eamon: " He won four league titles."

Souness: "Five."

Dunphy: "It's not bloody Mastermind."

----

On Michael Carrick - " Carrick was signed for Spurs a few years back for 3m. That's the level he is at. He is a nothing player. He is one-paced. He doesn't have the personality to always get on the ball like a United player should. "

On Rio Ferdinand - " Ferdinand is a clown. He was a liability for the first goal and he is always a liability. It was Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink against Rio Ferdinand of Barclays Bank. "

On Fabio Cannavarro - "If Rio Ferdinand is worth 100,000 a week, then this guy is worth EUR100 million . . . . . a day"

On the Midfield - " United have nothing in midfield - they are a shambles.

On Samuel Eto'o - " He is a good finisher other than that he is pretty ordinary

On Barcelona - "After watching Watford against Manchester City last night that was like a bubblebath. It was beautiful."

On Roy Keane - "He's a gentleman. He's a class act. He's a rebel. And he stands up to bullies."

On Roy Keane - "He's right, he's right about everything!"

On Niall Quinn - "I'm not gonna address the Niall Quinn agenda,I think Niall Quinn is a creep" On Niall Quinn - "The man's an idiot, a Mother Theresa"

On Gary Doherty- "Doherty's head is better than his feet. If only he had three heads, one on the end of each leg."

On Liam Brady and the vacant Irish Job - "It would have to be a young, hungry fighter. that rules out everybody here."

On Harry Kewell - "Kewell should have been yanked off the pitch at half time and put in a hot bath, a boiling hot bath."
"Fat and a clown. A fat clown for all to see."

On Ireland in the 2002 World Cup - "I will be supporting Germany and Saudi Arabia in the contests ahead."

On Garth Crooks and Sven Goran Eriksson - "ha, ha, ha, that's the first time you'll see sex between 2 men live on the bbc"

On Liverpool v Barca - "I was hoping in the last fifteen minutes that Barcelona would beat them. I've made my mind up on Benitez tonight. He's a nice man but he's got a huge negative streak running through him. Liverpool were terrible in the second half. They didn't play football. If that was a concert, you'd boo. Gerrard: found out. A nothing player. They were terrible. Terrible.

On Liverpool v Arsenal - "You've jumped the fence there baby!" while talking to Liam brady on being biased towards Arsenal and not being impartial as an analyst.

On Journalist Rod Liddle after Liddle had written a particularly scathing article [2] criticising Roy Keane- "That's the fella who ran off and left his wife for a young one!" Dunphy later apologised to Liddle for making this comment.

On John Giles:
"Usually it takes a bottle of Bacardi and a gallon of Coke to get John out of his seat."

----

Dunphy: 'Sergio Ramos is a headbanger, he's like Paul Mcshane on steroids!'

----

On Djibril Cisse:
"here we have Cisse, right wing, attempts to put in a cross, BANG...hits the full back, again BANG hits the full back, BANG...off the full back again, and once more, BANG...smacks the full back again.... Millions of euro and he can't clear the first man, I mean...what's he trying to do to the full back here, Kill him??"

----

On the stubborn climate which exists in the board room at Real Madrid:

"Bill, Bill... those directors over there are on another planet. They're on mushrooms or something...THEY'RE ON ACID BILL!!!"

On John Hartson:

'Bill, Hartson is not a 7million pound player....its a disgrace, a shambles! This is the state of football today Bill. I have a clip here of why Hartson is NOT a £7million player....Roll it there Bill! (literally 1 second in to the clip) OKAY, HOLD IT THERE BILL!!! (draws a circle around Hartson's arse) Bill, that is NOT the arse of a £7million player!''

"The overwhelming view of the listeners is that¡­ they are split down the middle."
"When you weed out the nutters, it's around 80-20 behind Roy [Keane]."
Giles: "Football fans have short memories, Eamon."
Dunphy: "I found at Millwall that fans had long memories, John. They never forgot how bad I was! HA HA HA HA HA!"
Giles: [Silence]

Billo on Sam Allardyce's survival as Bolton manager: "They'll be dancing on the streets of Limerick."
Eamo: "They'll be dancing on the streets of Limerick anyway, Bill."

"These aren't the incidents that win and lose games. These are false."

"Eamon Dunphy is a nobody with one virtue; honesty and realism."

Billo: "We've a big game tomorrow night. And of course it's a big game for us as well."
Giles (grinning): "Yeah, let's hope everyone is watching."
Billo: "You're very sarcastic tonight, John."
Giles: "I'm not being sarcastic Bill. It's ahhhh very important. Ahhhh. Ratings. Ahhh."
Billo: "That's right, John."
Gilesy: "I've not time for the UEFA Cup at all."
Billo: "Hold on a second John. We've got the final on Wednesday."
Giles (grinning): "It should be a great final Bill. It always is on RTE."

Billo: "Carsley lacks a bit of skill in those situations. Let's call a spade a spade."
Gilesy: "Yes, Bill, he's in there to dig."

On Bayerns performance tonight....

Dunphy: 'Man Utd must be sitting at home pulling their hair out watching that'

Bill: ' Id say their slitting their wrists'

Dunphy: ' I wouldnt go that far Bill'
----
Dunphy: "United are ordinary. Fletcher is an amateur player, Ronaldo is a puffball. They will be found out tonight by a well drilled Italian outfit."

Final score: United 7-1 Roma. Ronaldo and Fletcher performing particularily outstanding.
----

a couple of season's back Giles & Dunphy were discussing the merits of Avram Grant as Chelsea interim manager.

Dunphy "At Leeds back in the 70's, now John will know more about this than me, Clough got the bullet after a month in charge & Jimmy Armfield came in & did a wonderful job. The late Jmmy Armfield. A marvelous manager, he galvanised the team & brought them to a European cup final"

Giles "Sorry there Eamon but Jimmy's still alive"

Dunphy "I told you John knew more about it than me"

Amidst guffaws of laughter:

Bill - Okey doke we'll go to a break!

----

Dunphy: "You wont win anything with a defense like that"

Ronnie: "They won the CL last year with that defense"

Dunphy "Ok they won the CL last year"

----

On C.Ronaldo - Dunphy - "Ronaldo is the clown in the circus that is Real madrid"

On Real Madrid Dunphy - "Toy boys Bill, They spend more time in the dressing room doing their make up and hair than worrying about tactics

----

Dunphy during Euro 2008:

"Aragones took off Torres, Xavi and Iniesta and he put on three donkeys"

He is then informed that Cesc Fabregas came on as a sub in that game

"I mean Fabregas and two donkeys"

----
Bayern Munich
“Well, I don’t like to make outlandish statements. Not all the time. But Wimbledon would have beaten them 10-0.”

Match of the Day
“They just talk drivel. Whoever is winning is great, whoever isn’t, isn’t. It’s banal. And also semi-literate at times … they never criticise in an intelligent way. Anything that isn’t banal is said to be an outburst. They’ve created this cartoon world where everyone talks like Lineker and says nothing.”
“You have to wonder about these clowns.”

Liverpool 4 Chelsea 4
“It was like two drunks in a back alley throwing punches at each other
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Some absolute classics in there Donny. I do feel that they have kind of passed their sell by date though. Dunphy is too often now the pointless contrarian with a grudge that he was often accused of being (rather than the passionate partisan that he was), Giles seems old, past it, and disinterested. He used to bring a gimlet eyed realism to the procedings. It's got to the stage where Souness provides the insight. As for most of the ex-footballers they bring up now - they seem to be nice enough in the bland say nothing way that works on all chanels now. I saw Martin Keown on Setanta recently (obviously getting his training in for a bigger move) and he was the best of the recent arrivals from the pitch to the studio that I've seen.

And I don't care if the snobs call it chavball or puffball or whatever: I'm looking forward to over a month of my brain off watching the box. Bring it on.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Donny B. wrote:
IanD wrote:

Why is Rio a sleazebag?

F**k him, he's a lowlife sack of shite, whose idea of fun is secretly filming himself and his mates gangbanging girls. I didn't like him before he went to United and and ran away from a drugs test and I think even less of him now. How do you know what he does for "Charidee" anyway other than what his press agent tells you? Cry me a river!!! :roll:

Stop the press IanD’s sensibilities have been offended AGAIN…………….

But to be fair, Rio does do a lot of work with disadvantaged kids. Teaching them the skills to get them through life like how to avoid random drug testing. Just say no. He is also well known for giving a hand up to those who have the odds stacked against them in life http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sh ... azine.html
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

First game in and I'm already sick of the giant bee that keeps buzzing in the stadium!!! :roll:
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Donny B. wrote:First game in and I'm already sick of the giant bee that keeps buzzing in the stadium!!! :roll:
I thought they were gonna sort that out?
No way I can listen to games with that buzzing. It'll be sound down and try find commentary on the radio.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Avenger wrote:
Donny B. wrote:First game in and I'm already sick of the giant bee that keeps buzzing in the stadium!!!
I thought they were gonna sort that out?
No way I can listen to games with that buzzing. It'll be sound down and try find commentary on the radio.
Listening on BBC 5 Live and the buzzing is just as loud and irritating.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

You mean the Vuvuzelas?
You'll just have to get used to them. They were well in evidence in the Super 14 Semi and Final in Soweto.
Not as bad as bagpipes. Imagine if the Scots all brought them to Murrayfield :shock:
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

johng wrote:Not as bad as bagpipes. Imagine if the Scots all brought them to Murrayfield
At least they could give us a tune instead of this constant buzz.
Pro 12 Champions 14!