Road running / New trainers

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Road running / New trainers

Post by Slipper1 »

Mods can make a decision on Other Sports or General Chat...

I am starting to get into some occasional running and need to invest in a new set of trainers. I have heard of some outlets that have some sort of system that maps your feet as they run and can then recommend inserts and particular shoes to suit the style.

Apparently I roll on the outside of my foot and that creates difficulties in the calf & shins. (Because that's what's slowing me down, not the big belly!)

anyone have any experience or idea on these and where I might source a supplier?
Get in the f%~king bag.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Road running / New trainers

Post by Scott »

Slipper1 wrote:Mods can make a decision on Other Sports or General Chat...

I am starting to get into some occasional running and need to invest in a new set of trainers. I have heard of some outlets that have some sort of system that maps your feet as they run and can then recommend inserts and particular shoes to suit the style.

Apparently I roll on the outside of my foot and that creates difficulties in the calf & shins. (Because that's what's slowing me down, not the big belly!)

anyone have any experience or idea on these and where I might source a supplier?

Not sure from reading the post but have you taken the in store test? I got it done in Elvery's outlet store in Blanch & found it very useful, as was suffering badly from shinsplints, they recommended i change from a gel to cushioned runners. I took their advice then weht next door to Lifestyle where the runners in question were 15bucks cheaper! I did find a major improvement with new runners but shop around!!

I find this website great for tracking my progress/training ........... http://www.mapmyrun.com/
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

I haven't used either of these places but have heard good things about them. Both offer Gait analysis and advice on what runners would best suit your running stlye.

http://www.amphibianking.ie are in Bray

http://www.irishfit.eu in Dun Laoghaire

Thinks there's a place around the Ilac centre too but can't remember the name of them
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Cheers - thats the kind of thing I'm looking at, I also found someone in Dun Laoghaire that does it. I didnt know it was in Elverys.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

waterboy wrote: http://www.irishfit.eu in Dun Laoghaire
Thats the place - going there later.
Get in the f%~king bag.
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

Let me know how you get on in the Irishfit place. I've taken up cycling as I cant run at the moment with a bad groin injury, steady johng :lol: and was thinking of using them to get the bike setup properly
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Just don't run in the f ing bike lanes!!
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

Not much to add as others have covered it pretty well. However, if you are going to ramp up the km's have a google at the different ways to lace your running shoes.
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

If you had lived over here, I would have recommended a couple of places in London to go to. As you don't, it's a fair way to travel for a pair of runners!

I'd go with the above, if you're having problems with your running style (I pronate, for example) then it's best to get your running style analysed to get the right trainers. It may also be worth going to see a physio / osteopath. I've had problems with my shins ever since I started running (going back 16 years now :shock: ) and the only way that I can stop the pain is to wear orthotics (and these need to be made specifically to fit your feet) and massage.

The next thing will sound odd,but it does work!

If you get problems with your shins, just before you go to bed, get some ibuprofen gel and massage into your shins. Go as deep as you can. Then wrap your legs in clingfilm and go to bed. When you wake up the next morning, the gel has absorbed into your shins (as opposed to just ending up on the bed sheets) and it really does help.

Don't be taking pain killers (ibuprofen) though - if you get a persistent problem you'll just develop a tolerance to them.

Get the best pair of trainers you can afford and don't be swayed by Nike gimmickry either. My last pair of trainers were from Saucony and they were fantastic.

And bon chance!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

claire_m wrote:If you had lived over here, I would have recommended a couple of places in London to go to. As you don't, it's a fair way to travel for a pair of runners!
I've seen it all now. Irish person calling them "Trainers" English person calling them "Runners"

What kind of an upside down world are we living in :shock:

On a more serious note. Running (especially on hard surfaces) is very hard on the joints. Especially for the fuller figured among us.

People might be advised to try swimming or cycling (very low impact) at least until they get down to a more manageable size.

Running is great in that you need little equipment and you are working the minute you get outside your front door.

Running on grass, or something soft, might help too.
I am always intrigued to see someone running along a path through a park, right beside grass :?
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

johng wrote:I've seen it all now. Irish person calling them "Trainers" English person calling them "Runners"

What kind of an upside down world are we living in :shock:
The pedant in me will point out that I'm British.

I used to call them sneakers as I lived in the States when I was younger. My Mum still does. I guess I've been around too many Irish people for too long though :lol:
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

claire_m wrote: The pedant in me will point out that I'm British.
Sure what would I know? I'm European :)

So kan I awkse you, is you Scottish or Welsh den? :lol:
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

johng wrote:
claire_m wrote: The pedant in me will point out that I'm British.
Sure what would I know? I'm European :)

So kan I awkse you, is you Scottish or Welsh den? :lol:
Mum's Welsh, Dad's Scottish. I was brought up to not follow England. A successful 5 Nations (as was then) was for Wales to beat England. They could lose all the rest of the games, but it would still be a success!

For ease, I support my local rugby and cricket clubs though.

Sorry Slipper, this is going way O/T :oops:
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Thats OK and thanks everybody for the help.

Regardless of whether it is on grass or not, I think my knees are going to take a battering!! I detest running and thus am starting on a treadmill, soooo much easier.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

FYI - Adidas Foot Scan will be present in Lifestyle Sports in Blanchardstown Retail Park this coming weekend 3rd/4th, so come and get some expert advice on the correct shoes to wear.

Bent and all as they look, would the rowing machine or cross trainer not be better than the thread mill!
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
icebaby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by icebaby »

Scott wrote:FYI - Adidas Foot Scan will be present in Lifestyle Sports in Blanchardstown Retail Park this coming weekend 3rd/4th, so come and get some expert advice on the correct shoes to wear.

Bent and all as they look, would the rowing machine or cross trainer not be better than the thread mill!

It's harder to put in Head phones/earphones whatever I should call them in England/Ireland when on the rowing machine.
"Look what Leinster have done again"