for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

tate
Shane Horgan

Re: Organised Sunbathing aka Cricket

Post by tate »

interesting thoughts on the "match fixing"

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/co ... 66134.html
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

I don't think it's that interesting. The Independent doesn't rate the NOTW highly and wants to discredit its scoop by saying it's only a few no balls and they don't know bookies themselves that would take those bets. Well my Indian teammates know of bookies that will take those bets in India and it proves that the players involved can be manipulated by money. It also backs up the claims by the fixer that he can get results manipulated.

The ICC itself is heavily corrupt though so I don't see anythng being done to try to fix this problem. The Asian bloc will circle the wagons and see it out, the players involved will get life bans that will be overturned in a year or two and things will go on as normal. That's the saddest thing.
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
Timster
Beginner

Post by Timster »

Nice knock by Paul Stirling by the sounds of it - 177 against *cough* Canada*. No doubt the England scouts are already circling. Reminds me of my 41 knock while facing a former Canadian international of West Indian heritage many moons ago. . but that's another thread altogether. Speaking of laughable - Afridi's attempt to decapitate Morgan with a bouncer hit the spot . . Pakistan - panto, farce, tragedy? Probably all three in the same over. (and out).
Convicted of crimes against inanity
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

One major issue is that betting in India is illeagal and forces this stuff underground. When its underground, thats when you get shady people involved.

I see Clive Rice is out saying that the alleged murder of Bob Woolmer is connected to betting mafias. And he implicates these figures in the sabotage of Hanse Cronje's plane, causing his death
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Interesting development with Paul Collingwood announcing his retirement from Test match cricket.........opening the door a little for Eoin Morgan perhaps? Unfortunatley with England's batting in such rude health they may just pull Prior up one place and add a bowler(second spinner-Monty?)
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

nelly the elephant wrote:Interesting development with Paul Collingwood announcing his retirement from Test match cricket.........opening the door a little for Eoin Morgan perhaps? Unfortunatley with England's batting in such rude health they may just pull Prior up one place and add a bowler(second spinner-Monty?)
No, surely Morgan is next in line. Unless there's another South African knocking about that I haven't heard of yet.
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Welcome back Ed Joyce.
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

nelly the elephant wrote:Welcome back Ed Joyce.
Is he back playing in and for Ireland now?
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

West Brit wrote:
nelly the elephant wrote:Welcome back Ed Joyce.
Is he back playing in and for Ireland now?
Named in the World Cup squad last week(I was just late posting it)

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/20012011/ ... d-cup.html
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

Then welcome back indeed Ed Joyce. And try to convince some of the youngsters that declaring for England isn't so great.
SCG
Bookworm

Post by SCG »

Had my first visit of the season to the Oval yesterday afternoon. Not great day for Surrey, but some good cricket and excellent "organised sunbathing". Not so good now on a cold and windy day in Cork!
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Upset on the cards here in Stormont.

Ireland set Pakkers 239 to win. Pakkers currently floundering on 88/3 after 25overs.

TJ, Rankin and Kevvie O'Brien doing the damage.
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
Darce
Shane Jennings

Post by Darce »

Pakkers moving up through the gears now.

We need a wicket or 2 to stall their momentum
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Ireland are given World Cup lifeline

The International Cricket Council have opened the door for non-Test playing nations to compete in the next World Cup, recommending the reversing of a ban that would exlude Ireland for the 2015 event.

The ICC said in a statement its chief executives' committee had recommended a qualifying process for the 2015 tournament, without specifying how many teams it wanted to see taking part.

The ICC had opted to exclude Ireland and their fellow Associate members from the competition, instead restricting the World Cup to just the 10 full-member nations.

However, April's decision drew massive criticism and prompted ICC president Sharad Pawar to call for a review.

Today's statement read: 'The CEC recommended that there should be a qualification process for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 but did not make a recommendation to the ICC executive board on the number of teams that should compete in the event to be held in Australia and New Zealand.'

While this recommendation will give Ireland hope, it still has to be ratified by the ICC's executive board, who will meet over the next two days.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/cricket/2011/06 ... ldcup.html

It's just (not) cricket.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

It's official - we're back!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/cont ... 21049.html
The 2015 World Cup will comprise 14 teams, a change from the original ten-team format, which means the Associates are back in the competition, ESPNcricinfo has learned. Four Associate teams will line up alongside ten Full Members in Australia and New Zealand, just like it was during the 2011 World Cup. The decision to reinstate the Associates, which was taken on the third day of the ICC's annual conference in Hong Kong, is a reversal of the ICC's heavily-criticised move to restrict the 2015 tournament to the Full Members.

On Monday, the second day of the conference, the ICC's chief executives' committee (CEC) had recommended to the executive board that there be a qualifying tournament for the 2015 World Cup, giving the Associates hope. It did not specify the number of slots open to Associates though, nor did it recommend a change in the competition's format. The executive board acted on the CEC's recommendation and ensured Associate participation by expanding the tournament from 10 to 14 teams.
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

Of course, the fact that the ICC decided to have its conference in the cricketing mecca of Hong Kong and the only reason the decision was made was so that the Associates would vote for other supposed 'reforms' (which will make the ICC even more of a closed shop for the BCCI in reality) show just two reasons why the ICC is the worst governing body in world sport, bar none.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

I've read that report twice and I'm still not clear. Does this mean the 4 associate spots will be decided by a qualifying tournament?

(Apparently I need Darce to come explain the news to me again...)
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Darce
Shane Jennings

Post by Darce »

Broken Wing wrote:I've read that report twice and I'm still not clear. Does this mean the 4 associate spots will be decided by a qualifying tournament?

???

My reading of it is that the tourny will have the 10 full members plus 4 qualifiers from associates
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Darce wrote:
Broken Wing wrote:I've read that report twice and I'm still not clear. Does this mean the 4 associate spots will be decided by a qualifying tournament?

???

My reading of it is that the tourny will have the 10 full members plus 4 qualifiers from associates
That was a joking reference to the whole Shane Jennings setback thing.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Darce
Shane Jennings

Post by Darce »

Broken Wing wrote:
Darce wrote:

???

That was a joking reference to the whole Shane Jennings setback thing.

Had slipped my mind. Do carry on
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on