The Ryder Cup 2010, Celtic Manor.

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

dod
Knowledgeable

Re: The Ryder Cup 2010, Celtic Manor.

Post by dod »

Mackman15 wrote:One scenario which hasn't been considered yet is what would happen if Westwood were to be declared unfit.
It certainly sounds as if he'd be physically fit but whether he'd be 'match fit' is another thing.
If that were the case I assume it goes to the next best qualified which at this stage is Harrington.

We should add in to the mix

8 ) The Czech Open– Don’t be surprised if someone like Dyson or Hanson comes right out of the pack and straight in there to scatter the bottom order. Realistically i think only the winning of it would cause waves but nonetheless.
Well number 8 has come through anyway. That's at least one big name left out.. I think Casey and Harrington are certain and then one from rose or donald
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

dod wrote:
Mackman15 wrote:One scenario which hasn't been considered yet is what would happen if Westwood were to be declared unfit.
It certainly sounds as if he'd be physically fit but whether he'd be 'match fit' is another thing.
If that were the case I assume it goes to the next best qualified which at this stage is Harrington.

We should add in to the mix

8 ) The Czech Open– Don’t be surprised if someone like Dyson or Hanson comes right out of the pack and straight in there to scatter the bottom order. Realistically i think only the winning of it would cause waves but nonetheless.
Well number 8 has come through anyway. That's at least one big name left out.. I think Casey and Harrington are certain and then one from rose or donald

Rumours on the circuit are rife that Monty won't be picking PH :shock: can't see it myself but one never knows.
3 Gold Stars
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:Rumours on the circuit are rife that Monty won't be picking PH :shock: can't see it myself but one never knows.
I would be amazed given that they themselves are veterans of countless RC's where they often played together. In saying that i would think it’s the "experience" card that PH may be relying on over either of the other three mentioned hopefuls. Gleneagles of course could change it again.

On another note, honourable mention to peter lawrie for yesterday's performance.

In other news my RC tickets arrived in the post this morning :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

I'm finding myself strangely uninterested in the RC this year, probably to do with the fact that I've watched very little golf, bar the majors and last Sundays Czech play off, over the past few months.

Mind you, it could also be the fact that it doesn't seem to feature highly on the priorities of the top European golfers.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:I'm finding myself strangely uninterested in the RC this year, probably to do with the fact that I've watched very little golf, bar the majors and last Sundays Czech play off, over the past few months.

Mind you, it could also be the fact that it doesn't seem to feature highly on the priorities of the top European golfers.
I don't disagree, it seems to be a low key build-up alright (despite sky's best efforts) and with the likes of Garcia effectively removing themselves from consideration and Casey & Harrington not prepared to go and battle it out in Scotland you would wonder whether their heart is in it right at them minute or will that only come about when they are handed their new matching jumpers and shirts on the day. The Fed Ex money, (Fraudian) Championship has a lot to answer for.

I would add to that by suggesting that the TW chyte is draining everyone’s enthusiasm.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Mackman15 wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote:I'm finding myself strangely uninterested in the RC this year, probably to do with the fact that I've watched very little golf, bar the majors and last Sundays Czech play off, over the past few months.

I don't disagree, it seems to be a low key build-up alright (despite sky's best efforts) and with the likes of Garcia effectively removing themselves from consideration and Casey & Harrington not prepared to go and battle it out in Scotland you would wonder whether their heart is in it right at them minute or will that only come about when they are handed their new matching jumpers and shirts on the day. The Fed Ex money, (Fraudian) Championship has a lot to answer for.

I would add to that by suggesting that the TW chyte is draining everyone’s enthusiasm.

Deffo a much lower key build up than previous years. Maybe the Woods saga and his ongoing travails are deflecting away from the event but in reality the point about the Europeans chasing the $$$ on the US Tour is a big factor.
I think the niggle is missing from the event, due to PH, Casey, Poulter, Rose etc playing on the US Tours.
3 Gold Stars
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:Rumours on the circuit are rife that Monty won't be picking PH :shock: can't see it myself but one never knows.
Hmmm, repeated again on the sports news at 8:30 this morning on newstalk before yur wan headed off into the sunset of afternoon TV.
That will certainly dampen Irish spirits over there. i still can't quite believe it but perhaps that's the green hue with which i'm looking at things.

Next they'll tell us that Pavin won't pick TW, now come on, who are they coddin' ??
Last edited by Mackman15 on August 27th, 2010, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Do you guys actually believe that PH should be on the team? His forms been atrocious this season. He's not there on merit and just because he's Irish we are up in arms about it.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Avenger wrote:Do you guys actually believe that PH should be on the team? His forms been atrocious this season. He's not there on merit and just because he's Irish we are up in arms about it.
1) Ryder cup experience, matched only perhaps by Miguel Angel jimenez (both at the cut off margain)
2) Born and reared on match play golf
3) Three time major winner, who admittedly is not playing well but knows how to do it.
4) Is in a group including Rose, Casey, Donald and MA-Jim. This is where the debate about partnering starts. If they where being picked for their individual skills it would be one thing but they have to fit hand-in-glove with a buddy. (the english fella's might be favour here.) Ironically MA-jim might prove PH's biggest threat now.
5) Possible absense of Westwood/ if present, lack of match practice.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Avenger wrote:Do you guys actually believe that PH should be on the team? His forms been atrocious this season. He's not there on merit and just because he's Irish we are up in arms about it.
I've stated he shouldn't be picked because of his form this year which reflects the fact he's outside qualifying. His recent record in the Cup is also poor. He has lost his last 9 matches, basically been woeful at the last 2 Cups.
I'm not up in arms about it and I dont think mackman is either, I just believe his experience will swing(no pun intended) Monty.
Any golfer will tell you partnering Harrington in fourballs and particularly foursomes right now would be a very testing experience.
Hw will be picked and so will Woods.
3 Gold Stars
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Interesting fact. If MA Jim is bunny hopped by Dyson and isin't picked by Monty it will be the first time that a spainard is not on the side since the widening to a European team. Still they've the World cup in the trophy cabinet so we won't feel too sorry for them.

As regards Sauv. B point about us being up in arms, i agree. I certainly not up in arms, i have a sort of a love hate relationship with Harrington simply because he's one of ours and always strikes me as a guy that you could easily relate to as regards the game. Nothing came exceptionally easy for him in golf, he worked his ass off to get where he is and when you see him making blunders you can see the human "ah, jayus!!" side of him which to so many golfers out there, they can relate to because they have done it time and time again.

Regarding the foursomes, he may well sit out one of the sessions alright now that ye say it.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Mackman15 wrote:
Regarding the foursomes, he may well sit out one of the sessions alright now that ye say it.

His 'natural' partners(and successful) were Monty & McGinley for different reasons. Alongside Monty, they were the dream European ticket, with mcGinley it was the 'Irish' thing.

Who to pair him with? difficult to say as McIlroy and McDowell look a good partnership but I reckon he could play a session with either.
3 Gold Stars
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Mackman15 wrote:

His 'natural' partners(and successful) were Monty & McGinley for different reasons. Alongside Monty, they were the dream European ticket, with mcGinley it was the 'Irish' thing.

Who to pair him with? difficult to say as McIlroy and McDowell look a good partnership but I reckon he could play a session with either.
Molinari's shoulders will be killing 'em by the end of the week!!!

Casey, Poulter, Donald will pair beteeen them IMO.
Westie & Fisher
NORN IRON
[one of Kaymer, PH, MAJ] alone with either Molinari or Hansen.
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Molinari numero due is officially putting the cat amongst the pigeons. (With Wilson and Dyson giving themselves every chance also. )
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Harrinton Donald & Molinari it is!!!!

Very strong team on paper particularly when yoo look at the absentees most notably Casey and Rose.
Can't help but think that the loyalty card was being pulled in respect to Donalds appearance in Celtic manor, yet the condradiction is that harringinton didn't show for the Czech, the french or gleneagles.

i think whatever way you look at this there will be condradictions to every argument.

Best of luck to them and to the newest vice captain in Sergio(me thinks he won't be offering to much advice to PH)
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Good to see Molanari win today. he spoke highly of irish caddy Colin Byrne as well.
A proud Winsome Fluter
gowest
Bookworm

Post by gowest »

molinari had t oget it, he was a single 1 point away from qaulifying.

him and his brother will be a great partneship on friday and saturday. the lads on sky were not pleased that paddy got picked.

end of the day harrington has won more major then the entire team. he hasnt won this year but he has the mental strength to get a winning putt, something the casey and rose do not have.

hopefully westwood will be back in time,
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

gowest wrote:molinari had t oget it, he was a single 1 point away from qaulifying.

him and his brother will be a great partneship on friday and saturday. the lads on sky were not pleased that paddy got picked.

end of the day harrington has won more major then the entire team. he hasnt won this year but he has the mental strength to get a winning putt, something the casey and rose do not have.

hopefully westwood will be back in time,

Molinari finished in some style under severe pressure and deservedly got picked. Good on him.

Monty has the greatest admiration for Harrington, knowing he's a triple major winner swung it.

Surprised Donald got the pick ahead of Casey& Rose however it's clear hes going for someone who can hit fairways at the expense of distance.
3 Gold Stars
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:Good to see Molanari win today. he spoke highly of irish caddy Colin Byrne as well.
Byrne has got a live one there, he should try his uptmost to prolong that partnership for as long as possible. Another Goosen-like stretch would see him well.
It's been a bit hit and miss since that time for him.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/golf/8954599.stm
Luke Donald questions Ryder Cup qualification system
Luke Donald
Donald is the current world number 11

Luke Donald has called for an overhaul of Europe's Ryder Cup qualification system despite being chosen as a wildcard for the event in October.

Donald, Padraig Harrington and Edoardo Molinari were Colin Montgomerie's three wildcard picks, meaning world number eight Paul Casey missed out.

World number 23 Justin Rose, a two-time winner in the United States this season, was also overlooked.

"The European Tour has to look harder at the system," said Donald.

"I understand they want to protect the European Tour but at the same time the top guys are going to want to play against the best players in the world and you shouldn't be penalised for that."

IAIN CARTER'S BLOG
The real selection issue was between Casey and Harrington and it was a brave call to favour the latter

European players qualify for their team either via the Ryder Cup World Points List or the Ryder Cup European Points List.

The best four players from the world list automatically qualify, as do the best five players on the European list who have not qualified via the world list, plus three captain's wildcards.

Some critics argue the system prevents the European side being as strong as it could be because too much importance is given to performances on the European Tour - Donald, Casey and Rose all spend large chunks of their seasons playing on the PGA Tour in the United States.

All three players, plus Harrington, chose to play in last week's Barclays FedEx Cup event in New Jersey rather than compete at the Johnnie Walker Championship at Gleneagles and attempt to qualify automatically.

Their decisions led to a lot of criticism, with some questioning their commitment to the European cause, although Casey said his failure to nail down an automatic place was more down the rib injury which kept him out of the game for more than three months last season.

"Being injured last year really hurt my ability to qualify automatically, but I'll be supporting them in the match," said the 33-year-old Englishman, who has played in three Ryder Cups.

"I probably need time to take it in. Simple fact is I'm not on the team. But I think Europe have got an unbelievable team and I wish them the best for the match, simple as that.

EUROPEAN RYDER CUP TEAM
Lee Westwood (Eng) Age 37; Previous Ryder Cups 6
Martin Kaymer (Ger) 25; Debut
Rory McIlroy (NI) 21; Debut
Graeme McDowell (NI) 31; RC 1
Ian Poulter (Eng) 34; RC 2
Ross Fisher (Eng) 29; Debut
Francesco Molinari (Ita) 27; Debut
M A Jimenez (Spa) 46; RC 3
Peter Hanson (Swe) 32; Debut
Padraig Harrington (Ire) 38; RC 5
Luke Donald (Eng) 32; RC 2
Edoardo Molinari (Ita) 29; Debut

"I'm not going to stand here and sort of plead a case for why I should be on the team. It's done and dusted. I tried my hardest and I didn't make it. I wasn't picked. I didn't qualify automatically. I wish I had."

Casey climbed from ninth to eighth in the world with a 12th-place finish on Sunday and also finished 12th in the USPGA Championship three weeks ago.

In addition he finished third in the Open Championship and his match play record - one win at Wentworth and the last two finals in Arizona - is exemplary.

"It's been one of the craziest selections for the Ryder Cup ever when guys in the top 10 in the world [himself and Casey] didn't know they were playing," added Donald, who has since slipped to 11th and who missed the last match after wrist surgery.

Rose said he "only had himself to blame", while outlining a case for why Montgomerie could have picked him.

The 30-year-old lost once on his debut two years ago, winning twice with Ian Poulter and beating Phil Mickelson in singles.

"When you play one you never want to miss another," he said. "I have and I only have myself to blame for that. I'm very disappointed. I figured I had as good a shot as anybody.

"For Paul Casey not to be in as well I think was a very interesting selection. I don't think many people would have got those three [picks].

"Unfortunately two of us were going to be left out, but that's ultimately our own fault. If you put yourself in that precarious position of looking for a wildcard this is what happens.

"I've got a three out of four record and a great ready-made partner in the team [in Poulter]. I thought those sorts of things would be positives in the pros and cons columns, so I'm disappointed not to be able to renew that partnership.

"But you have to pick yourself up and carry on. It's not like I'm Miguel Angel Jimenez trying to do it for the last time either - I've got plenty of time."

Poulter said: "I'm gutted for Justin and Paul - they are two great mates and golfers.

"I know what's going on in their minds. I know what the guys have gone through because I've been there and it's very hard to play golf that way."

This year's Ryder Cup takes place at Celtic Manor in Wales between 1-3 October.