The Ryder Cup 2010, Celtic Manor.

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Re: The Ryder Cup 2010, Celtic Manor.

Postby Sauvignon Blank » August 30th, 2010, 8:21 pm

gfo wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/golf/8954599.stm

Luke Donald questions Ryder Cup qualification system
Luke Donald
Donald is the current world number 11

Luke Donald has called for an overhaul of Europe's Ryder Cup qualification system despite being chosen as a wildcard for the event in October.

Donald, Padraig Harrington and Edoardo Molinari were Colin Montgomerie's three wildcard picks, meaning world number eight Paul Casey missed out.

World number 23 Justin Rose, a two-time winner in the United States this season, was also overlooked.

"The European Tour has to look harder at the system," said Donald.

"I understand they want to protect the European Tour but at the same time the top guys are going to want to play against the best players in the world and you shouldn't be penalised for that."

IAIN CARTER'S BLOG
The real selection issue was between Casey and Harrington and it was a brave call to favour the latter

European players qualify for their team either via the Ryder Cup World Points List or the Ryder Cup European Points List.

The best four players from the world list automatically qualify, as do the best five players on the European list who have not qualified via the world list, plus three captain's wildcards.

Some critics argue the system prevents the European side being as strong as it could be because too much importance is given to performances on the European Tour - Donald, Casey and Rose all spend large chunks of their seasons playing on the PGA Tour in the United States.

All three players, plus Harrington, chose to play in last week's Barclays FedEx Cup event in New Jersey rather than compete at the Johnnie Walker Championship at Gleneagles and attempt to qualify automatically.

Their decisions led to a lot of criticism, with some questioning their commitment to the European cause, although Casey said his failure to nail down an automatic place was more down the rib injury which kept him out of the game for more than three months last season.

"Being injured last year really hurt my ability to qualify automatically, but I'll be supporting them in the match," said the 33-year-old Englishman, who has played in three Ryder Cups.

"I probably need time to take it in. Simple fact is I'm not on the team. But I think Europe have got an unbelievable team and I wish them the best for the match, simple as that.

EUROPEAN RYDER CUP TEAM
Lee Westwood (Eng) Age 37; Previous Ryder Cups 6
Martin Kaymer (Ger) 25; Debut
Rory McIlroy (NI) 21; Debut
Graeme McDowell (NI) 31; RC 1
Ian Poulter (Eng) 34; RC 2
Ross Fisher (Eng) 29; Debut
Francesco Molinari (Ita) 27; Debut
M A Jimenez (Spa) 46; RC 3
Peter Hanson (Swe) 32; Debut
Padraig Harrington (Ire) 38; RC 5
Luke Donald (Eng) 32; RC 2
Edoardo Molinari (Ita) 29; Debut

"I'm not going to stand here and sort of plead a case for why I should be on the team. It's done and dusted. I tried my hardest and I didn't make it. I wasn't picked. I didn't qualify automatically. I wish I had."

Casey climbed from ninth to eighth in the world with a 12th-place finish on Sunday and also finished 12th in the USPGA Championship three weeks ago.

In addition he finished third in the Open Championship and his match play record - one win at Wentworth and the last two finals in Arizona - is exemplary.

"It's been one of the craziest selections for the Ryder Cup ever when guys in the top 10 in the world [himself and Casey] didn't know they were playing," added Donald, who has since slipped to 11th and who missed the last match after wrist surgery.

Rose said he "only had himself to blame", while outlining a case for why Montgomerie could have picked him.

The 30-year-old lost once on his debut two years ago, winning twice with Ian Poulter and beating Phil Mickelson in singles.

"When you play one you never want to miss another," he said. "I have and I only have myself to blame for that. I'm very disappointed. I figured I had as good a shot as anybody.

"For Paul Casey not to be in as well I think was a very interesting selection. I don't think many people would have got those three [picks].

"Unfortunately two of us were going to be left out, but that's ultimately our own fault. If you put yourself in that precarious position of looking for a wildcard this is what happens.

"I've got a three out of four record and a great ready-made partner in the team [in Poulter]. I thought those sorts of things would be positives in the pros and cons columns, so I'm disappointed not to be able to renew that partnership.

"But you have to pick yourself up and carry on. It's not like I'm Miguel Angel Jimenez trying to do it for the last time either - I've got plenty of time."

Poulter said: "I'm gutted for Justin and Paul - they are two great mates and golfers.

"I know what's going on in their minds. I know what the guys have gone through because I've been there and it's very hard to play golf that way."

This year's Ryder Cup takes place at Celtic Manor in Wales between 1-3 October.




Donald should really keep his counsel. He was very lucky to be named on the team. I am surprised Casey was overlooked in favour of Donald however.

The English media are stirring it up now railing against Harrington FFS :lol:

You would think they would have more respect for the first European golfer to grow a spine in the last decade and take on the Yanks at their Open.
3 Gold Stars
User avatar
Sauvignon Blank
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2576
Joined: June 22nd, 2008, 10:10 am
Location: Splendid Isolation

Re: The Ryder Cup 2010, Celtic Manor.

Postby Grumpy Old Man » August 30th, 2010, 9:17 pm

Can't help wondering if the deciding factor between Donald & Casey was that Donald played in the tournament in Celtic manor.
A proud Winsome Fluter
User avatar
Grumpy Old Man
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 6618
Joined: February 22nd, 2006, 4:22 pm
Location: Home for the Slightly Bewildered

Re: The Ryder Cup 2010, Celtic Manor.

Postby Terraceman » August 31st, 2010, 12:27 am

gowest wrote:molinari had t oget it, he was a single 1 point away from qaulifying.

him and his brother will be a great partneship on friday and saturday. the lads on sky were not pleased that paddy got picked.

end of the day harrington has won more major then the entire team. he hasnt won this year but he has the mental strength to get a winning putt, something the casey and rose do not have.

hopefully westwood will be back in time,


There will be an enormous amount of pressure on Harrington to deliver. The Beeb and Sky will expect him to take a majority of his points and he will be the scapegoat if he fails to do so and the yanks win.

Whatever about leaving out a player in the top 10 you cant leave out a 3 time major winner.
Ah it's alright mate I've being looking to change that wing mirror- Rocky Elsom 19/05/2009
User avatar
Terraceman
Graduate
 
Posts: 516
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 6:45 pm
Location: London

Re: The Ryder Cup 2010, Celtic Manor.

Postby jezzer » August 31st, 2010, 10:26 am

There should be pressure on Paddy to play well, because on current and Ryder Cup form he shouldn't be there. I agree with the Molinari pick - I think he's a good bet for a win or two. Donald over the other options is a marginal call. Casey I probably would have brought, but his Ryder Cup record is solid rather than spectacular. Solid might be what we're missing in the end.

At the end of the day, Monty is one of the Ryder Cup's most successful and most passionate players. He's not going to make any picks that will jeopardise a Europe win, no matter how political things get. He's just not that kind of guy. We should respect 100% the team he has picked because if anyone knows about winning Ryder Cups it's him (not forgetting his pal Langer!).

I'm a little worried there is a lack of ship-steadying players. Guys who soak up the pressure and just deliver a solid half against a fancied US opponent or snag a win when the tide seems to be turning. Jimenez is one, 2010's Lee Westwood might be another.
User avatar
jezzer
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 7111
Joined: February 1st, 2006, 12:41 pm

Re: The Ryder Cup 2010, Celtic Manor.

Postby Armchair » August 31st, 2010, 10:48 am

I agree that Harrington has been lucky to get the nod and the pressure will definitely be on him to perform. Casey should have been picked over Donald and I think that is the main problem, Casey is in good form and should be in the team. I would have picked Harrington as a wild card myself but it is a gamble and hopefully he pays back Monty's faith in him
User avatar
Armchair
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2498
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 10:16 am

Re: The Ryder Cup 2010, Celtic Manor.

Postby Mackman15 » August 31st, 2010, 1:44 pm

What are anyone’s thoughts on the appointment of Sergio Garcia as an additional vice captain.
Can Sergio bring anything more to the team room than the famed Latin spirit.
How effective and to what level will three major winners and a multiple Order of Merit winner consider his contribution.
Clarke will be a fantastic handler for Norn Iron, MAJ, Donald & PH will require the most minimal of counsel and the rest are well covered by Monty, Bjorn and McGinty.

There's nothing amazingly objectionable about it but frankly i don't see the point. A cook too many.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
User avatar
Mackman15
Mullet
 
Posts: 1669
Joined: May 7th, 2009, 5:49 pm
Location: Usually fringing the offside line

Re: The Ryder Cup 2010, Celtic Manor.

Postby Armchair » August 31st, 2010, 3:25 pm

SG & Harrington are none to friendly with each other, thought it was a strange move from Monty
User avatar
Armchair
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2498
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 10:16 am

Re: The Ryder Cup 2010, Celtic Manor.

Postby R-Dog » August 31st, 2010, 3:50 pm

While Harringtons form has not been great in recent times, Come sunday afternoon and you need someone to sink a 10 ft putt to win or get up and down from around the green, he would be top of list to step up and pull it off
R-Dog
Graduate
 
Posts: 501
Joined: March 6th, 2007, 8:14 pm

Re: The Ryder Cup 2010, Celtic Manor.

Postby jezzer » August 31st, 2010, 5:33 pm

Mackman15 wrote:What are anyone’s thoughts on the appointment of Sergio Garcia as an additional vice captain.
Can Sergio bring anything more to the team room than the famed Latin spirit.
How effective and to what level will three major winners and a multiple Order of Merit winner consider his contribution.
Clarke will be a fantastic handler for Norn Iron, MAJ, Donald & PH will require the most minimal of counsel and the rest are well covered by Monty, Bjorn and McGinty.

There's nothing amazingly objectionable about it but frankly i don't see the point. A cook too many.


Another paycheck out of the Ryder Cup gravy train, if you ask me. The whole vice-captain thing is getting out of hand. Preferably only one, two max.
User avatar
jezzer
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 7111
Joined: February 1st, 2006, 12:41 pm

Re: The Ryder Cup 2010, Celtic Manor.

Postby Sauvignon Blank » August 31st, 2010, 7:29 pm

Mackman15 wrote:What are anyone’s thoughts on the appointment of Sergio Garcia as an additional vice captain.
Can Sergio bring anything more to the team room than the famed Latin spirit.
How effective and to what level will three major winners and a multiple Order of Merit winner consider his contribution.

There's nothing amazingly objectionable about it but frankly i don't see the point. A cook too many.



My guess is Monty remembers his fighting spirit in recent matches so wants him around in some way, shape or form.

However, considering his on course demeanour in recent years and his spat with Harrington (which was started by Garcia and continued ) I wouldn't have the little tit within an ass's roar of Celtic Manor. Leave him be to wallow in self pity and let Monty and the boys alone to bring back the Cup.
3 Gold Stars
User avatar
Sauvignon Blank
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2576
Joined: June 22nd, 2008, 10:10 am
Location: Splendid Isolation

Re: The Ryder Cup 2010, Celtic Manor.

Postby tackle-bag » August 31st, 2010, 8:18 pm

The level of controversy which some factions are seeking to create around Harrington's selection is nothing short of a joke.

Sure, this hasn't been his greatest year but he has still had 7 top-10 finishes, 3 of which have come in his last 6 starts. Crucially, most of these have also been in big events on both tours such as the Bridgestone Invitational, the CA Championship, the BMW PGA Championship and the Irish Open. He performed badly in 3 of the 4 majors of the year, by all accounts, but his scoring average is only marginally higher than it was in 2008, when he enjoyed 2 of his 3 major victories.

In all the circumstances, and having special regard to the fact that he is one of the best pressure putters in recent memory, the decision to include Harrington (who has won more majors than the rest of the European Team combined) was simply a no-brainer.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
User avatar
tackle-bag
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2971
Joined: March 25th, 2007, 2:48 pm

Re: The Ryder Cup 2010, Celtic Manor.

Postby Mackman15 » September 8th, 2010, 12:29 am

Cink
Fowler
Johnson
Woods.

Fowler -v- McIlroy on the Sunday would be great viewing, mind you McIlroy -v- any of them will be equally interesting.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
User avatar
Mackman15
Mullet
 
Posts: 1669
Joined: May 7th, 2009, 5:49 pm
Location: Usually fringing the offside line

Re: The Ryder Cup 2010, Celtic Manor.

Postby Sauvignon Blank » September 8th, 2010, 12:32 pm

Mackman15 wrote:Cink - Class act and imperious matchplayer, no suprises he was picked.
Fowler - Swing liable to crumble under pressure. If i was playing i'd love a crack at him. Surprise inclusion, Pavin thinks his lenght off the tee will help despite the fact this is not a big hitters course.
Johnson - An excellent pick IMHO. Not long off the tee but Drives straight as an arrow and an excellent putter - a prerequisite for Ryder Cup success.

Woods - no surprises here, the 2nd best golfer ever to play the game was never going to be overlooked.Mean, moody and magnificent

Fowler -v- McIlroy on the Sunday would be great viewing, mind you McIlroy -v- any of them will be equally interesting
Agreed, McIlroy will tear Fowler a new one. However, considering the Europeans form from the top players has dipped and Celtic Manor is a US type course i'd be going for an American win right now. Molinari, Donald & Jimenez apart the rest are hardly shooting the lights out.
.
3 Gold Stars
User avatar
Sauvignon Blank
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2576
Joined: June 22nd, 2008, 10:10 am
Location: Splendid Isolation

Re: The Ryder Cup 2010, Celtic Manor.

Postby jezzer » September 13th, 2010, 12:22 pm

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Mackman15 wrote:Cink - Class act and imperious matchplayer, no suprises he was picked.
Fowler - Swing liable to crumble under pressure. If i was playing i'd love a crack at him. Surprise inclusion, Pavin thinks his lenght off the tee will help despite the fact this is not a big hitters course.
Johnson - An excellent pick IMHO. Not long off the tee but Drives straight as an arrow and an excellent putter - a prerequisite for Ryder Cup success.

Woods - no surprises here, the 2nd best golfer ever to play the game was never going to be overlooked.Mean, moody and magnificent

Fowler -v- McIlroy on the Sunday would be great viewing, mind you McIlroy -v- any of them will be equally interesting
Agreed, McIlroy will tear Fowler a new one. However, considering the Europeans form from the top players has dipped and Celtic Manor is a US type course i'd be going for an American win right now. Molinari, Donald & Jimenez apart the rest are hardly shooting the lights out.
.


mmmmm Kaymer? Hello?!! Ross Fisher also playing well as is Francesco Molinari.
User avatar
jezzer
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 7111
Joined: February 1st, 2006, 12:41 pm

Re: The Ryder Cup 2010, Celtic Manor.

Postby Mackman15 » September 13th, 2010, 12:29 pm

Kaymer is certainly taking up a centre stage role i would think. Perhaps the one good thing that came out of Faldo's captaincy last time out was the invitation to Kaymer to come along for the week. At the very least he'll have the Ryder Cup week 'experience' under his belt.

Expect him to play in 4 out of 5 matches at the least.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
User avatar
Mackman15
Mullet
 
Posts: 1669
Joined: May 7th, 2009, 5:49 pm
Location: Usually fringing the offside line

Re: The Ryder Cup 2010, Celtic Manor.

Postby Sauvignon Blank » September 13th, 2010, 1:27 pm

jezzer wrote:
mmmmm Kaymer? Hello?!!


Ermm...hello what exactly?
Kaymer is a ROOKIE :?

jezzer wrote:Ross Fisher also playing well as is Francesco Molinari.


Sauvignon wrote:Molinari, Donald & Jimenez apart the rest are hardly shooting the lights out.


ermm......'Hello!!? as you would say.

Also, Fisher has been awful since the WGC win in Spain only getting some semblance of form back at the Irish Open.

Carry on.....
3 Gold Stars
User avatar
Sauvignon Blank
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2576
Joined: June 22nd, 2008, 10:10 am
Location: Splendid Isolation

Re: The Ryder Cup 2010, Celtic Manor.

Postby Mackman15 » September 13th, 2010, 1:52 pm

Westwood relishing Portugal defence

World Number Three Lee Westwood is relishing the opportunity to defend his Portugal Masters title, 12 months after the victory which ignited his ascent to the summit of European golf.

The Englishman finished two strokes clear of Italian Francesco Molinari and four ahead of Padraig Harrington last year to capture his first European Tour victory in more than two years, during which time he had lost three play-offs and recorded an astonishing 26 top ten finishes.

Westwood’s 19th visit to the winner’s enclosure as a European Tour champion lit the blue touch paper, and he promptly made it 20 when he captured the season ending Dubai World Championship at Jumeirah Golf Estates.

Westwood’s Portugal Masters victory and €500,000 first prize contributed towards the 37 year old winning the inaugural Race to Dubai ahead of Rory McIlroy and subsequently being named The 2009 European Tour Golfer of the Year.

His return to Oceânico Victoria Golf Course,Vilamoura, as champion from October 14-17 will be his first appearance in stroke-play competition following his seventh Ryder Cup appearance for Europe at The Celtic Manor Resort in Wales.

“I’m really looking forward to returning to Oceânico Victoria Golf Course and defending my title,” said Westwood.

“It was a great venue to finally capture another victory after two years without one. I’d had a number of near misses in that time so it was special to finally get my hands on a trophy and to then go on to win the inaugural Race to Dubai on the back of that made it a year to remember.”

Westwood fired successive weekend rounds of 66 at the Oceânico Victoria Golf Course to capture the title last year.

He had entered the final round three shots adrift of former US Open Champion Retief Goosen but birdied each of the first four holes and produced a magical escape through the trees on the par five 17th hole to then tap in for birdie and then par the last for victory.

Westwood, who has finished runner up in both the Masters Tournament and Open Championship this season and won for the first time in 12 years on the US PGA Tour, has missed all of August and September with a calf injury but retains aspirations of a successful double defence – of his Portugal Masters title and Race to Dubai crown.

“It would mean a great deal to me to successfully defend my Portugal Masters title,” he said. “Last year I held off some great players in Francesco Molinari, Padraig Harrington and Retief and it will be just as tough this year with seven of my Ryder Cup Teammates in the field”

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/2010/0 ... l-defence/

Some of this has me worried, it certainly doesn't seem like he'll be playing anywhere before going to Wales.
Top qualifer, World No.3 and one of the most experienced on the side. Not at all good.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
User avatar
Mackman15
Mullet
 
Posts: 1669
Joined: May 7th, 2009, 5:49 pm
Location: Usually fringing the offside line

Re: The Ryder Cup 2010, Celtic Manor.

Postby Sauvignon Blank » September 13th, 2010, 5:02 pm

Mackman15 wrote:Westwood relishing Portugal defence

World Number Three Lee Westwood is relishing the opportunity to defend his Portugal Masters title, 12 months after the victory which ignited his ascent to the summit of European golf.

The Englishman finished two strokes clear of Italian Francesco Molinari and four ahead of Padraig Harrington last year to capture his first European Tour victory in more than two years, during which time he had lost three play-offs and recorded an astonishing 26 top ten finishes.

Westwood’s 19th visit to the winner’s enclosure as a European Tour champion lit the blue touch paper, and he promptly made it 20 when he captured the season ending Dubai World Championship at Jumeirah Golf Estates.

Westwood’s Portugal Masters victory and €500,000 first prize contributed towards the 37 year old winning the inaugural Race to Dubai ahead of Rory McIlroy and subsequently being named The 2009 European Tour Golfer of the Year.

His return to Oceânico Victoria Golf Course,Vilamoura, as champion from October 14-17 will be his first appearance in stroke-play competition following his seventh Ryder Cup appearance for Europe at The Celtic Manor Resort in Wales.

“I’m really looking forward to returning to Oceânico Victoria Golf Course and defending my title,” said Westwood.

“It was a great venue to finally capture another victory after two years without one. I’d had a number of near misses in that time so it was special to finally get my hands on a trophy and to then go on to win the inaugural Race to Dubai on the back of that made it a year to remember.”

Westwood fired successive weekend rounds of 66 at the Oceânico Victoria Golf Course to capture the title last year.

He had entered the final round three shots adrift of former US Open Champion Retief Goosen but birdied each of the first four holes and produced a magical escape through the trees on the par five 17th hole to then tap in for birdie and then par the last for victory.

Westwood, who has finished runner up in both the Masters Tournament and Open Championship this season and won for the first time in 12 years on the US PGA Tour, has missed all of August and September with a calf injury but retains aspirations of a successful double defence – of his Portugal Masters title and Race to Dubai crown.

“It would mean a great deal to me to successfully defend my Portugal Masters title,” he said. “Last year I held off some great players in Francesco Molinari, Padraig Harrington and Retief and it will be just as tough this year with seven of my Ryder Cup Teammates in the field”

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/2010/0 ... l-defence/

Some of this has me worried, it certainly doesn't seem like he'll be playing anywhere before going to Wales.
Top qualifer, World No.3 and one of the most experienced on the side. Not at all good.


Agreed.
I've been banging on about this in previous posts....all is not good for Europe at present going into the match. As the weeks go by the US are looking more likely to take the Cup back with them stateside.
3 Gold Stars
User avatar
Sauvignon Blank
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2576
Joined: June 22nd, 2008, 10:10 am
Location: Splendid Isolation

Re: The Ryder Cup 2010, Celtic Manor.

Postby Armchair » September 14th, 2010, 9:38 am

Paul Casey in line for a call up as major doubts emerge about Westwood's fitness
User avatar
Armchair
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2498
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 10:16 am

Re: The Ryder Cup 2010, Celtic Manor.

Postby Donny B. » September 14th, 2010, 10:07 am

Armchair wrote:Paul Casey in line for a call up as major doubts emerge about Westwood's fitness


As Westwood qualfied automatically would it not be the next person in line who'd go instead of a wildcard?
User avatar
Donny B.
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 26649
Joined: March 27th, 2006, 3:10 pm
Location: D12!!!!!!!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest