Alex Higgins passes away

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Alex Higgins passes away

Post by Dave Cahill »

24/07/2010 - 18:40:17
Snooker star Alex Higgins died today after a long battle with throat cancer.

The 61-year-old former world champion was known as the Hurricane by his many fans.

Higgins, from Belfast, was diagnosed with throat cancer more than 10 years ago.

Snooker promoter Barry Hearn said Higgins would be remembered as the "original people's champion'' and the man who transformed the popularity of the sport.

Mr Hearn said: “I have known him for nearly 40 years. He was the major reason for snooker’s popularity in the early days.

“He was controversial at times, but he always played the game in the right spirit.

“We will miss him – he was the original people’s champion.”

Read more: http://breakingnews.ie/sport/death-of-s ... z0ud1FiL1d
I have Bumbleflex
simplythebest
Enlightened

Re: Alex Higgins passes away

Post by simplythebest »

A bit of a sad character, but there was no doubt about his popularity. I remember the haydays of snooker back in the late 70's and the 80's and whispering Ted Lowe and all that. Snooker has gone like F1 lately, where there are no characters any more and none of the participants seem to possess a personality.
My favorite memory of The Hurricane was a game on a Sunday evening that dragged on into the small hours of Monday morning. As usual Alex was on the beer, as well as smoking like a trooper, and he got fed up going to the jacks. So around 2 in the morning he just walked over to a potted plant and pee'd into it. The officials were not impressed at all and fined or suspended him. As far as he was concerned, it was the most natural thing in the world. So what if the audiance were sitting there?
Classic
LEINSTER pour toujours
future international
Enlightened

Post by future international »

Very sad, they dont make them like him anymore. Sad demise was too weak for another operation.
At the beginnign of July - Dentist Dr Daniel Simon said last night: "It's a vicious circle.He can't get better and have the new teeth unless he eats and gets back to health. But he can't eat without the teeth." RIP
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

He was a flawed genius, capable of moments of absolute brilliance and desperation. A chronic smoker and an alcoholic, he was his own worst enemy most of the time.

But I remember vividly as a 14 year old sitting up to watch the final frames of his emotional win against Ray Reardon, and then the three consecutive World Cup wins with Dun Laoghaire's Eugene Hughes and Dennis Taylor...and that's the way I'll remember him...
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
silly punt
Enlightened

Post by silly punt »

There is a documentary on BBC 2 tonight, Alex Higgins The Peoples Champion @ 9pm. It charters the rise and fall of this flawed genius, it could be worth a watch...
Experience is the name everyone gives to their failures
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

silly punt wrote:There is a documentary on BBC 2 tonight, Alex Higgins The Peoples Champion @ 9pm. It charters the rise and fall of this flawed genius, it could be worth a watch...
Caught the last half hour of it. Seemed very good, very sad to see how emaciated he was by the end.