for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

GAA agree to raise Hill 16 barrier

Post by sarah_lennon »

Disaster waiting to happen
rte.ie

The Central Council of the GAA have endorsed a recommendation to increase the height of the front barrier at the Hill 16 end in Croke Park to 2.8metres.

The decision has been made after the unsavoury incidents that followed Meath's victory in the Leinster Senior Football final as referee Martin Sludden was attacked by supporters.

GAA President Christy Cooney warned last month that something had to be done about pitch invasions for the safety of players and fans.
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
FatBoyChoice
Graduate

Re: GAA agree to raise Hill 16 barrier

Post by FatBoyChoice »

sarah_lennon wrote:Disaster waiting to happen
Don't see why. Everyone thinks fence = another Hillsborough/Heysel. Both of those incidents happened due to poor crowd control, overcrowding and poorly designed (and maintained) terraces.

I'd say there is much more chance of disaster by continuing to allow idiots to fight their way through stewards.
simplythebest
Enlightened

Post by simplythebest »

Can't understand why they just don't arm the stewarts with Tasers. It would be much more effective and a hell of a lot of fun to watch for the rest of the spectators.
LEINSTER pour toujours
Donald
Mullet

Post by Donald »

Can't see the reasoning behind this really seeing as most of the fans that attacked the referee came from the Hogan, Cusach and Canal end. The stewards along the stands are really pathetic at stopping fans encroaching onto the pitch, the police are too busy drinking their tea on their overtime pay and then it all just resorts to PLAN B!
Come live with me in SEALAND!!
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Was anyone charged following the Leinster final?
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

What does it say of the attendees at the four sports that are played at the venue that its only the two GAA sports that suffer from this issue.
How about people just stopping it and dispel this bull about the god given right to walk the hallowed turf.......
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Mackman15 wrote:What does it say of the attendees at the four sports that are played at the venue that its only the two GAA sports that suffer from this issue.
How about people just stopping it and dispel this bull about the god given right to walk the hallowed turf.......

Indeed.
3 Gold Stars
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Very dissappointed with this decision tbh. Whilst I don't think it's going to lead to a Heysel/Hillsborough tragedy repeat, it does increase the potential. I've seen the work the gardaí and the saftey people do in Croke Park on a match day and it's amzing the amount or preperation done for a matchday so there won't be an overcrowding situation on the hill. I'd have thought a draconian fine for anyone entering onto the field after a match would be the way to go.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Cianostays wrote:Very dissappointed with this decision tbh. Whilst I don't think it's going to lead to a Heysel/Hillsborough tragedy repeat, it does increase the potential. I've seen the work the gardaí and the saftey people do in Croke Park on a match day and it's amzing the amount or preperation done for a matchday so there won't be an overcrowding situation on the hill. I'd have thought a draconian fine for anyone entering onto the field after a match would be the way to go.

Draconian fines get appealled and reduced by District Court judges. I go back to my previous point and would suggest that the lesson starts with thicko parents that throw their children over the barrier to run onto the field just like at home at the Junior 'B' Final were 73 people are in attendance.

Just stop doing it.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

The recent documentary on croker shows that after the plan B incident, they only wanted to slow the fans down to give time to erect a barrier around the stand for the presentation, it takes about 30 seconds to do. But still drunk yobs try to fight their way onto the pitch as the game finishes. I did not have any problem with the fans going onto the pitch before I saw this, after all it was the way we do it - but after seeing that my opinion has changed.

But, it could be another 40 years before they will have to worry about The Wee County Fans and finals again.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Mackman15 wrote:
Cianostays wrote:Very dissappointed with this decision tbh. Whilst I don't think it's going to lead to a Heysel/Hillsborough tragedy repeat, it does increase the potential. I've seen the work the gardaí and the saftey people do in Croke Park on a match day and it's amzing the amount or preperation done for a matchday so there won't be an overcrowding situation on the hill. I'd have thought a draconian fine for anyone entering onto the field after a match would be the way to go.

Draconian fines get appealled and reduced by District Court judges. I go back to my previous point and would suggest that the lesson starts with thicko parents that throw their children over the barrier to run onto the field just like at home at the Junior 'B' Final were 73 people are in attendance.

Just stop doing it.
I agree with you but alas it'll take more than 3 weeks for said thicko parents to get the point. If government legislation were introduced, I believe fines would be the way to go.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.