Kilkenny for the 5 in a row

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Avenger
Seán Cronin

Re: Kilkenny for the 5 in a row

Post by Avenger »

Donny B. wrote:The Cats will be back but hopefully it will be the start of a great rivalry for the next few years.
Big time and it'll be great for the sport. 5 u21s on that Tipp team so they're there for the long haul. Kilkenny have an unreal supply of talent so will always be there so it looks like we could have a special rivalry to enjoy for a few years.
Galway are a few players away so if they can find them, they'll be capable of winning it too.
Don't think Cork will be competitive for a while unless they've a bunch of kids that they've been keeping secret but I've not seen anything from their underage teams to suggest that they will be back soon.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Tipp just blew Kilkenny off the park. It's rare you see the Cats being the mentally more fragile side but the 5-in-a-row pressure obviously got to them. A harsher ref might have given a few more fouls to Kilkenny and maybe a card to Tipp, but the truth is they were outplayed.

Tipp had a fantastic work ethic all game and they seemed to be quicker to every breaking ball (comparatively few clean catches from Kilkenny I thought). The harder you work the luckier you get and that certainly was the motto for Tipp. Not that they were lucky to win but their pressure made a lot of 50:50 balls drops to a Tipp stick.

Great game and further evidence that hurling is putting league between it and football as the GAA sport of skill, quality and entertainment. The other cross-country basketball shite is unbearable to watch by comparison.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

jezzer wrote: Great game and further evidence that hurling is putting league between it and football as the GAA sport of skill, quality and entertainment. The other cross-country basketball shite is unbearable to watch by comparison.
There's no doubt that Hurling is the more skillful game, but in terms of a spectacle the football has produced far entertainment this season. In the hurling the final and the Galway-Tipp match were classics but that was about it. Too often, matches were really quite dull.

In the football all the quarter-finals were great matches (apart from Cork-Roscommon) and then we had two fantastic semi-finals. There was also some compelling matches in the provincial championships such as Louth-Meath, the Galway-Sligo replay, the Connacht final and the two Cork-Kerry matches.

A great hurling match will always be a better spectacle than a great football match, but the football has produced more thrills this summer than the hurling and now I think of it, it was the same last season too.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

I know little about either game. I have never attended a match and my knowledge doesnt really pass further than knowing a goal is worth 3 points. However, on flicking through the channels on Sunday it was close to compelling TV with the skill on display and excitement available.

There was little else to watch though, except about 4 hours of come dine with me.
Get in the f%~king bag.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Donny, with the tackle laws (or lack of) I just can't bear football these days. Fair point that this year games were exciting but in truth as a sporting spectacle of skill and style it's a rabble.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

jezzer wrote:Donny, with the tackle laws (or lack of) I just can't bear football these days. Fair point that this year games were exciting but in truth as a sporting spectacle of skill and style it's a rabble.
Same as it ever was!
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Yeah, but the nordie-inspired zone defence isn't as it always was. The sight of 5 players jostling a guy on his hands and knees while he's hiding the ball between his legs makes me
Cringe