Kilkenny for the 5 in a row

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

simplythebest
Enlightened

Kilkenny for the 5 in a row

Post by simplythebest »

That was an awesome performance yesterday by Kilkenny, against Cork. Playing like they did in the first half, I reckon they are totally unbeatable. Delighted with the result, great showing again by a Leinster County. The whole of the provence will have to row in behind them and show our support.
What's the story with that munster mob, though. I think it is so totally stupid when they turn up at Ireland rugby internationals with their Toyota jerseys on, but there were a good few sporting them yesterday as well. I know they are both red, but ffs!
They must just have the one jersey that they will wear to everything and anything.
LEINSTER pour toujours
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Re: Kilkenny for the 5 in a row

Post by Avenger »

Very impressive performance. Like a well oiled machine at this stage.
Will take some level of performance from Waterford/Tipp to stop them.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Looking at it yesterday it looked like you could take any 3 Cats players of your choosing off for the whole of the 70 mins and they still would have beaten Cork.
Tipp and Waterford would need to show up in September. They're simply imense.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

I agree it was tremendously impressive stuff and it'll take a hell of a perfformance to beat them but remember what happened the last time an unstoppable team were going for 5-in-a-row? They (Kerry) were defeated by a goal in the last 5 mins by the team they had beaten in the previous year's final (Offaly).

I'd like to see them do it though. Greatness deserves to be recognised and winning 5-in-a-row would end any possible dispute about whether or not this is the best team ever.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Shefflin confirmed that he'll miss the final as he's done his cruciate. Real shame for the guy that he'll miss the five in a row.

For most teams losing their best player and top scorer would be a devastating blow. For this lot, it will be a mere blip!
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

The Hurling God seems to be conspiring against the Cats. According to the Sunday Game coverage, Tommy Walsh was injured in a club match today and is doubtful for the final.

Tipp looked very good today apart from giving away some silly frees. Should be a cracker in September!
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Cianostays wrote:The Hurling God seems to be conspiring against the Cats. According to the Sunday Game coverage, Tommy Walsh was injured in a club match today and is doubtful for the final.

Tipp looked very good today apart from giving away some silly frees. Should be a cracker in September!
Hmmm, interesting! Walsh has really become their main man and if he's out that really could make a difference.
simplythebest
Enlightened

Post by simplythebest »

Cianostays wrote:I agree it was tremendously impressive stuff and it'll take a hell of a perfformance to beat them but remember what happened the last time an unstoppable team were going for 5-in-a-row? They (Kerry) were defeated by a goal in the last 5 mins by the team they had beaten in the previous year's final (Offaly).
I'd like to see them do it though. Greatness deserves to be recognised and winning 5-in-a-row would end any possible dispute about whether or not this is the best team ever.
Is this the one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YenPKDg8FKs

Here's also rowing in behind the last remaining Leinster county in the football. Come on the Lillywhites.
LEINSTER pour toujours
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Far be it from me to suggest foul play there but that was a blatant push in the back of the defender and should have been a free out.

8000 turned out the other night to watch Henry train :shock:
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
simplythebest
Enlightened

Post by simplythebest »

Have to admit that despite being a Dub, I've a soft spot for Kerry (notwithstanding all the heartbreak they've caused us over the years). However, given that Offaly are part of Leinster, I have to say there was no way that was a push. Not a bit of it. Tommy Doyle stumbled forward all by himself. :lol:
LEINSTER pour toujours
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

Avenger wrote: 8000 turned out the other night to watch Henry train :shock:
Heard that on Off The Ball, it's nuts!

Sounds like those open training sessions are awesome.
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

I'm considering asking Paddy Power for a price on the Six in a row already.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Just left work and the pitch looks stunning. Can't wait for Sunday, even if I've to watch it on tv :(

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Time to change the title of the thread perhaps?

What a match! Tipp were so up for it and beat the Cats at their own game.
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Best final in years. What amazing skill (is there really a more skilful sport? I don't think so anyway) on display especially given the conditions. Would have been delighted for any team to win after that game. Long live hurling.
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

meinster wrote:Best final in years. What amazing skill (is there really a more skilful sport? I don't think so anyway) on display especially given the conditions. Would have been delighted for any team to win after that game. Long live hurling.

+1..........it's games like this that make me proud to be Irish...what an advertisement.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Down here in The Gulag they are delighted that Kilkenny lost.

The Natives here HATE the fact that Kilkenny have moved ahead of them in the number of hurling All-Irelands won and can see no good in the current Kilkenny team at all.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

That was some performaance from Tipp. What a match. I guess no-one in Hurling or Football is meant to win 5-in-a-row.

Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Awesome performance from Tipp and congrats to them. Worthy winners of Liam and some fantastic young hurlers who will be providing some great entertainment for many more years.

Nice to see the respect from the Tipp players too afterwards, esp Eoin Kelly. It certainly wasn't shared by a woman in the bar I watched the game in (Tramore) who screamed abuse at the TV as Henry made his way off the pitch. I know it's easy to get carried away in the heat of battle but there really are some pricks out there. Henry Shefflin is a gentleman and gracious whether he wins, loses or draws. Despite his disappointment he congratulated every Tipp player after the game yesterday and he deserves to be show the same respect he clearly has for his opposition.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Avenger wrote:Awesome performance from Tipp and congrats to them. Worthy winners of Liam and some fantastic young hurlers who will be providing some great entertainment for many more years.

Nice to see the respect from the Tipp players too afterwards, esp Eoin Kelly. It certainly wasn't shared by a woman in the bar I watched the game in (Tramore) who screamed abuse at the TV as Henry made his way off the pitch. I know it's easy to get carried away in the heat of battle but there really are some pricks out there. Henry Shefflin is a gentleman and gracious whether he wins, loses or draws. Despite his disappointment he congratulated every Tipp player after the game yesterday and he deserves to be show the same respect he clearly has for his opposition.
Both Cody and Shefflin and all the Kilkenny players showed their class afterwards. Jack O'Connor could learn from them. The Cats will be back but hopefully it will be the start of a great rivalry for the next few years. No one would begrudge them their wins, but it's gets dull when they win them too easy. Last years final was terrific and this year's was even better, far better than the exhibition matches of the previous two years.