2012 Qualifiers

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

2012 Qualifiers

Post by Cianostays »

Good result out there. That's an improvement on this time 2 years ago anyway. Only caught the last 30 mins but Doyle looked like he was our classiest player. Lovely touches and knock downs for Robbie.

Was Lawrence that good?
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Re: 2012 Qualifiers

Post by nelly the elephant »

Cianostays wrote:Good result out there. That's an improvement on this time 2 years ago anyway. Only caught the last 30 mins but Doyle looked like he was our classiest player. Lovely touches and knock downs for Robbie.

Was Lawrence that good?
Lawrence was good alright(he's become a fixture very quickly to be fair) but Doyle was a different class altogether. Huge appetite for work and nearly unmarkable. He absolutely terrorises opposing centre halves whilst simultaneously tiring them out. His touch is also very sweet and himself and Keane have developed quite an understanding. Keane should have had a hat-trick today.

Great start, we've played well before and not gotten the result....well done Trap and the lads, bring on Tuesday.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

nelly the elephant wrote:Great start, we've played well before and not gotten the result....well done Trap and the lads, bring on Tuesday.
That's exactly the difference between Ireland under Trap and previous eras. That was a pretty awful game last night, in which we squandered a few excellent chances, but we still got the result. Didn't think Lawrence was anything special, but stand-out performances were relatively few and far between.

If we belt Andorra 3 or 4 nil this week, it will very much be 'mission accomplished' from the opening two games.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

We will put at least 3/4 on Andorra Tuesday which would be a good start to the campaign. I've a sneaky feeling the Armenians may take points of the Russians in Yerevan.
3 Gold Stars
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Trap's named the same team as last friday for the game tomorrow night. I'd have liked to see Darron Gibson get a run as we've rarely seen him get an opportunity to show what he can do. Against Andorra apeared to present the ideal opportunity.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

What price are the FAI charging for their competitive matches? I would just like to compare to the IRFU prices and see how full the stadium will be tonight
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Ticketosser has tickets for tonight's game priced from €50 to €110 before they add their charges. €50 tickets are available meaning the first competitive kickyball match in the new Lansdowne is not sold out.

Ireland should win 3 or 4 nil tonight but I'm expecting another 1-0.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Armchair wrote:What price are the FAI charging for their competitive matches? I would just like to compare to the IRFU prices and see how full the stadium will be tonight

Got one of those €50 tickets for myself and a ticket for the youngfella for a tenner-not bad, both of us making our debut at TSFKALR.

Driving up from Wicklow this evening and wondering about parking.Usually park near Sandymount Dart station for the RDS- Is there any issue with us getting handily to the North Stand area from there? There appeared to be a lot of re-routing of fans for the rugby there last month,not allowed down along the Dodder etc etc?
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Well that was muck. I was very close to going. Glad I didn't. 50 extra lids for libations Saturday evening.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Thoughts for tonight?

I'd take the draw now if you offered it.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Degz wrote:Thoughts for tonight?

I'd take the draw now if you offered it.
Realistically, We've got to win our home games to top the group. I think the Spurs lad (I'm not going to try and spell his name :D ) being out is a loss for them.

Not to mention our "mole in Moscow" :wink:
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Looks like a relatively easy win for Russia on the way. Completely outclassing Ireland all over the pitch.
Dont Panic!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

2-0 down. Why didn't they let Kevin Kilbane retire when he wanted to?

I knew they were talking Russia down too much.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

We are getting killed! Despite having 2 holding midfielders, the Russians are finding loads of room. St Ledger is lucky to be on the field. Bad tackle.

Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Donny B. wrote:2-0 down. Why didn't they let Kevin Kilbane retire when he wanted to?

Yeah Russia were always going to be a class act, especially when you give them time on the ball. It's a reality check for anyone overhyping Ireland (although I don't think there was too much of that). The best we could always hope for is 2nd in the group.
Dont Panic!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Cianostays wrote:We are getting killed! Despite having 2 holding midfielders, the Russians are finding loads of room. St Ledger is lucky to be on the field. Bad tackle.
In general its Tier 2 class players versus top tier players.. and very obvious tonight. The way the game is going should not be a huge surprise.
Dont Panic!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Dexter wrote:
Donny B. wrote:2-0 down. Why didn't they let Kevin Kilbane retire when he wanted to?

Yeah Russia were always going to be a class act, especially when you give them time on the ball. It's a reality check for anyone overhyping Ireland (although I don't think there was too much of that). The best we could always hope for is 2nd in the group.
Tony Cascarino on the radio was virtually putting the House on Ireland winning. I was nearly getting caught in the hype. Then I looked at our midfield. Then I sighed.............. :?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Shay Given nearly had a fit setting up a wall for a free-kick. His voice rose as he got more irrate and he kinda looked like beaker from the Muppet show by the end.

Gonna be a youtube classic. :lol:
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Donny B. wrote:Shay Given nearly had a fit setting up a wall for a free-kick. His voice rose as he got more irrate and he kinda looked like beaker from the Muppet show by the end.

Gonna be a youtube classic. :lol:
Yeah i was wondering what the squeaking sound was, until i realised it was Given's voice! Never seen him that annoyed.
Dont Panic!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

That's it, I'm watching the Northampton match