2012 Qualifiers

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Leinster Exile
Mullet

Re: 2012 Qualifiers

Post by Leinster Exile »

Degz wrote:Great draw for us, although we'll probably stuff it up.
Cue last minute headed own goal and going out on the away goals rule
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Estonia in Euro 2012 qualifiers
Played: 10
Won: 5 (2-1 V Faroe Islands, 3-1 @ Serbia, 2-1 @ Slovenia, 4-1 V Northern Ireland, 2-1 @ Northern Ireland)
Drew: 1 (1-1 V Serbia)
Lost: 4 (2-1 V Italy, 1-0 V Slovenia, 3-0 @ Italy, 2-0 @ Faroe Islands)
GF: 15 (1 own goal against Serbia)
GA: 14 (1 own goal against Slovenia, 1 own goal against Northern Ireland)

Top goal scorer: Konstantin Vassiljev (5)

Republic of Ireland in Euro 2012 qualifiers
Played: 10
Won: 6 (1-0 @ Armenia, 3-1 V Andorra, 2-1 V Macedonia, 0-2 @ Macedonia, 2-0 @ Andorra, 2-1 V Armenia)
Drew: 3 (1-1 @ Slovakia, 0-0 V Slovakia, 0-0 V Russia)
Lost: 1 (3-2 V Russia)
GF: 15 (1 own goal against Armenia)
GA: 7

Top goal scorer: Robbie Keane (5)

It was a childhood dream of Robbie Keane's to play Estonia in the playoffs to qualify for a major tournament.

First order of business is giving Brian Kerr a shout.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Broken Wing wrote:
It was a childhood dream of Robbie Keane's to play Estonia in the playoffs to qualify for a major tournament.
:lol: fair play
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

If only we had of beaten Slovakia at home.....
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Ulster's Best wrote: Yes, there are some bitter bigots from the six counties who support the Republic of Ireland in soccer instead of the team that represents where they come from ie Northern Ireland -
So folks who support Ireland are 'bigots' ?
Ulster's Best wrote: just like there are some bitter bigots from the six counties who support England in rugby instead of the team that represents where they come from ie Ireland. That is how it is in both sports. I support Northern Ireland in soccer as that is the footballing 'country' I come from. I support Ireland in rugby as that is the rugby 'country' I come from.
Yet essentially you choose to ignore my previous assertion that both communities in the North of Ireland are represented by the Irish(ROI) football team much like the Rugby. In essence an all Ireland team.
Are you denying this?
Ulster's Best wrote: Yes, we know about the modern defectors, mainly relative non-entities.
So no loss there. Why all the knicker twisting from the IFA?

Apart from Paddy McCourt would you agree your team is composed of err 'mainly relative non-entities' ?
Sour grapes per chance?
Ulster's Best wrote: The vast majority of significant soccer players from NI have played for NI down through the years.
Obviously, but how many felt pressurised in the poisonous atmosphere?
Ulster wrote: Of course the bad behaviour of NI fans hasn't helped things -
Downright shocking behaviour i'd say. Who could forget that shameful night in Windsor park when Billy Bingham played the role of Pide piper to a tee.
Ulster wrote: FAI poaching and the CAS ruling has led to the Republic picking up a few of our players.
A trickle at the moment but maybe they see themselves as wanting to represent an inclusive Ireland team.
Ulstersbest also wrote:
So, you're wrong! :roll: :lol:
So does throwing in these emoticons in some way clinch your argument?

You speak of 'bigots', a word synonomous with people from your manufactured little statelet yet you start a thread titled .....'Tonights Euro Knackerball'.

Real classy stuff......and hypocrytical.

So If i'm wrong in your eyes, i think i can live with that.
3 Gold Stars
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Leinster Exile wrote:
Cue last minute headed own goal and going out on the away goals rule

Best draw possible. Hopefully lady luck continues to shine on us and no repeat of the disaster in Paris.

Don't think we'll take them lightly as Trappatoni is naturally so defensive minded and won't allow it.

Great to have the 2nd leg at home, should be a cracking atmosphere :D
3 Gold Stars
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:your manufactured little statelet yet
[..]
Irony much? Or am I reading you wrong and you're not launching a holier-than-thou republican attack on UB? I certainly hope I'm reading you wrong, but that's how I've interpreted your last few posts here.
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

meinster wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:your manufactured little statelet yet
[..]
Irony much? Or am I reading you wrong and you're not launching a holier-than-thou republican attack on UB? I certainly hope I'm reading you wrong, but that's how I've interpreted your last few posts here.

Miriam O'Callaghan-esque.
3 Gold Stars
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Great draw for Estonia too
Dont Panic!
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

I should ideally start another thread for this however..............Brian Kerr has put himself forward for the NI job. I suppose Greenhills to Belfast is alot handier than Greenhills to Torshavn
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Leinster Exile wrote:I should ideally start another thread for this however..............Brian Kerr has put himself forward for the NI job. I suppose Greenhills to Belfast is alot handier than Greenhills to Torshavn
As far as I can recall his folks are actually from Belfast, or at least one of them is. I think he'd be a great way for them to go, whatever his failings with us he does seem to be able to work well with limited resources and at identifying young talent. In an odd way it might help the move to normalise NI football and build a bridge between the two fraternities of fans on both sides of the border.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

TerenureJim wrote:
Leinster Exile wrote:I should ideally start another thread for this however..............Brian Kerr has put himself forward for the NI job. I suppose Greenhills to Belfast is alot handier than Greenhills to Torshavn
As far as I can recall his folks are actually from Belfast, or at least one of them is. I think he'd be a great way for them to go, whatever his failings with us he does seem to be able to work well with limited resources and at identifying young talent. In an odd way it might help the move to normalise NI football and build a bridge between the two fraternities of fans on both sides of the border.
IIRC he also said in an interview years ago that he was a rangers supporter.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

limecat wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:
IIRC he also said in an interview years ago that he was a rangers supporter.
You are right indeed however I would neve say say Rangers = NI. My family from West Ulster are of a green variety however they always cheered for both ROI and NI. So I have a natural affinity with NI. I hope he gets the job
Ulster's Best
Bookworm

Post by Ulster's Best »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Ulster's Best wrote: Yes, there are some bitter bigots from the six counties who support the Republic of Ireland in soccer instead of the team that represents where they come from ie Northern Ireland -
Ulster's Best wrote: just like there are some bitter bigots from the six counties who support England in rugby instead of the team that represents where they come from ie Ireland. That is how it is in both sports. I support Northern Ireland in soccer as that is the footballing 'country' I come from. I support Ireland in rugby as that is the rugby 'country' I come from.
Yet essentially you choose to ignore my previous assertion that both communities in the North of Ireland are represented by the Irish(ROI) football team much like the Rugby. In essence an all Ireland team.
Are you denying this?
Ulster's Best wrote: Yes, we know about the modern defectors, mainly relative non-entities.

Apart from Paddy McCourt would you agree your team is composed of err 'mainly relative non-entities' ?
Sour grapes per chance?
Ulster's Best wrote: The vast majority of significant soccer players from NI have played for NI down through the years.
Downright shocking behaviour i'd say. Who could forget that shameful night in Windsor park when Billy Bingham played the role of Pide piper to a tee.
Ulster wrote: FAI poaching and the CAS ruling has led to the Republic picking up a few of our players.
A trickle at the moment but maybe they see themselves as wanting to represent an inclusive Ireland team.
Ulstersbest also wrote:

You speak of 'bigots', a word synonomous with people from your manufactured little statelet yet you start a thread titled .....'Tonights Euro Knackerball'.

Should you not be out canvassing for your provo hero, McGuinness?

How many times does it have to be explained to you, there IS NO team called Ireland in soccer for any of us to support??

Yes, I consider to be bigots those people from Ireland who want Ireland to lose and people from Northern Ireland who want Northern Ireland to lose. They're bitter, sad little bigots.

Yes, I am denying it. How does it represent both communities? Are you thick? What is this North of Ireland you speak of? You seem to know the name of NEITHER team representing this island in international soccer. But a lot of you Shinners aren't very bright - just follow like sheep!

Re the IFA - because the situation is totally unjust, as even Brian Kerr fairly points out.

Do you know so little about soccer that you think Paddy (brilliant natural talent that he is) is the most eminent player in the Northern Ireland team? Ever heard of eg Evans, Davis, Hughes, Brunt, Baird etc? No, not sour grapes - obviously. What a silly boy you are!

No idea how many felt pressurised. Tell you what though, the likes of Jennings, Donaghy, both O'Neills and Armstrong were very proud to play for their country in international football. Presumably many of them and others from both communities would likewise have been happy to represent an Ireland team had there been one. There wasn't and still isn't.

Downright shocking if you like BUT Windsor Park has been transformed in the modern era and there's no issue now as far as I can tell. Of course there will always be a smallish element of Rangers trash blighting things.

It isn't an inclusive Ireland team - it isn't even an Ireland team. So, you're being a silly boy - again!

My argument was long since clinched. And I've as much entitlement to use emoticons as you do, Shinner!

Your slip is showing with your grubby little attack on Northern Ireland and its people. A rabid republican quite clearly!

You would know nothing about classy and plenty about hypocritical - except, clearly, how to spend it. Your colleagues who spent some time at Her Majesty's Pleasure are better educated it would appear.

Now, get out there again - Marty needs you!! Seems like the good people of your part of Ireland don't think him quite the hero you do!!

:happy clapper: :clap:
Apocrypha
Graduate

Post by Apocrypha »

Such disgraceful, incendiary statements got Ulster's Best banned from MF.com.

I am surprised he has lasted so long at LF.com
Ulster's Best
Bookworm

Post by Ulster's Best »

Apocrypha wrote:Such disgraceful, incendiary statements got Ulster's Best banned from MF.com.

What statements are 'disgraceful or incendiary'??????????? Are you another of Marty's heavies??? Or can you just not read?
Ulster's Best
Bookworm

Post by Ulster's Best »

Ulster's Best wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Are you denying this?

Sour grapes per chance?
Ulstersbest also wrote:

How many times does it have to be explained to you, there IS NO team called Ireland in soccer for any of us to support??

Yes, I consider to be bigots those people from Ireland who want Ireland to lose and people from Northern Ireland who want Northern Ireland to lose. They're bitter, sad little bigots.

Yes, I am denying it. How does it represent both communities? Are you thick? What is this North of Ireland you speak of? You seem to know the name of NEITHER team representing this island in international soccer. But a lot of you Shinners aren't very bright - just follow like sheep!

Re the IFA - because the situation is totally unjust, as even Brian Kerr fairly points out.

Do you know so little about soccer that you think Paddy (brilliant natural talent that he is) is the most eminent player in the Northern Ireland team? Ever heard of eg Evans, Davis, Hughes, Brunt, Baird etc? No, not sour grapes - obviously. What a silly boy you are!

No idea how many felt pressurised. Tell you what though, the likes of Jennings, Donaghy, both O'Neills and Armstrong were very proud to play for their country in international football. Presumably many of them and others from both communities would likewise have been happy to represent an Ireland team had there been one. There wasn't and still isn't.

Downright shocking if you like BUT Windsor Park has been transformed in the modern era and there's no issue now as far as I can tell. Of course there will always be a smallish element of Rangers trash blighting things.

It isn't an inclusive Ireland team - it isn't even an Ireland team. So, you're being a silly boy - again!

My argument was long since clinched. And I've as much entitlement to use emoticons as you do, Shinner!

Your slip is showing with your grubby little attack on Northern Ireland and its people. A rabid republican quite clearly!

You would know nothing about classy and plenty about hypocritical - except, clearly, how to spend it. Your colleagues who spent some time at Her Majesty's Pleasure are better educated it would appear.

Now, get out there again - Marty needs you!! Seems like the good people of your part of Ireland don't think him quite the hero you do!!

Oops, I meant how to 'spell' it, not 'spend' it - was already thinking ahead to your republican brethern who had spent time being educated at Her Majesty's Pleasure!!
Ulster's Best
Bookworm

Post by Ulster's Best »

Apocrypha wrote:Such disgraceful, incendiary statements got Ulster's Best banned from MF.com.

Unlike you I don't go round baiting Leinster fans re Mujati - was that what motivated you to start posting here?

I notice you on another thread celebrating the fact your precious Munstermen weren't singing that inclusive anthem that you hate, Ireland's Call. I don't think it's great but I respect why it was put there - so should anyone bought into the team. Bottom line is we all support Ireland and are equally entitled and proud to do so. I am as good an Irishman as you are even though I prefer to remain resident in the UK just like the millions of Irish in Britain.
darkside lighteside
Graduate

Post by darkside lighteside »

:roll:
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Ulster's Best wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Are you denying this?

Sour grapes per chance?
Ulstersbest also wrote:

WTF :lol:
3 Gold Stars