Every Heart Beats True: The Jim Stynes Story

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Every Heart Beats True: The Jim Stynes Story

Post by johng »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
nelly the elephant wrote: I'd urge you to reconsider....it really was a very interesting(warts and all) piece of viewing.
Nah, he irked me some time ago with his actions. Not in the slightest bit interested in Jimmy Stynes of Australia via Dublin.
Interested enough to besmirch his character all over this thread. :roll:

I think you just like to be controversial like Kevin Myers, Dunphy, Hook or Franno.
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
hugonaut wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote: As for the aul 'does a lot of work charity' line. Bullshit. As noted earlier they have the time and resources to do it.
Yeah, "they" still f*cking do it though. Where's the bullsh*t there?

Helping suicidal kids and the families of people who have committed suicide is no walk in the park – it's emotionally draining and bloody difficult and depressing work. Pretty much anyone who has ever met Jim Stynes talks about what an inspiring and decent guy he is, but I'm sure you know better.
I do know that it doesn't change the fact he was an arsehole on that tour who turned on his country.
Eh fact? Your argument was all heasay, Sean Boylan said something like blah blah etc. I do remeber the time well as when Stynes moved down under (1985) I was doing my Leaving Cert. I'm no Jim Stynes apologist, but your argument is pathetic frankly...

Are you going to dig out every Irish person who emigrates and does their best for the country that provides for them and theirs with work, economic and social opportunites and a lifestyle that would have been impossible in the Ireland of the 1980's unless you wore the right school tie or know somebody who knew somebody. The real fact is that Stynes was touring as an employee of the AFL not the GAA, of course he was always obliged to row in with the Aussie team..

Get over yourself, really...!!!
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:
1. Thousands in this country struggle with Cancer everyday under extrordinary circumstances in a less than perfect health system. I'm sure he had the best of care, if not better when he fought Cancer.
2. He does charity work like almost every other sports person ( ex or current) because they have vast amounts of spare time to do so, and its recognised that a celebrity face will help chairities.
3. Trying to redress public opinion? Merely adding a bit of balance to this thread by pointing out an obviously little known fact regarding his shenannigans on the Aussie rules tour years back.
1. Yes they do, but thankfully some of them are recognised enough to get something like this out there to:
a) Inform people
b) gives these people hope
c) inspire the rest of us
2. He established this charity, he didn't just put his face to it.
3. How does the fact that I know you dislike the chap for been unpatriotic balance anything?
Not really disagreeing with you pegleg but the fact remains he was an arsehole on that tour. He forgets his roots.
Can you explain to me why he spoke in such emotive tones to the Aussies? against his own country?
As for the aul 'does a lot of work charity' line. Bullshit. As noted earlier they have the time and resources to do it.
Your point: You dislike him on account of his unpatriotic manner.
My point: His story is inspirational, personality doesn't come in to it so no need to address the character at all.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Sea_point wrote:
Eh fact? Your argument was all heasay, Sean Boylan said something like blah blah etc.
Yes fact and not hearsay. Sean Boylan, from what i can remember, never said 'Blah Blah Blah' in the interview. He did say Stynes was a joke figure amongst his players and his actions were shameful. That is fact.
seapoint wrote: I do remeber the time well as when Stynes moved down under (1985) I was doing my Leaving Cert. I'm no Jim Stynes apologist, but your argument is pathetic frankly...
I'm not arguing, I merely pointed out a little known fact and you and others get all hot and bothered about it.
seapoint wrote: Are you going to dig out every Irish person who emigrates and does their best for the country that provides for them and theirs with work, economic and social opportunites and a lifestyle that would have been impossible in the Ireland of the 1980's unless you wore the right school tie or know somebody who knew somebody. The real fact is that Stynes was touring as an employee of the AFL not the GAA, of course he was always obliged to row in with the Aussie team..
Steady on fella, less of the self-pitying nonsense. Why would i drag up every sporting emigrant? what purpose would that serve? I'm pointing out his lack of patriotism. You stick to waffle, ill stick to facts.

In your opinion, Jimmy Stynes would have ended up on the scratcher, standing on corners, bemoaning his lack of opportunities whilst clinging grimly to a can of Dutch Gold because he did'nt go to Gonzaga, Clongowes or Blackrock :lol:
seapoint wrote: Get over yourself, really...!!!
Take your own advice.
3 Gold Stars
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

johng wrote: Interested enough to besmirch his character all over this thread. :roll:

No, I pointed out a fact which some are unhappy about. You say besmirch? I wouldnt disagree if thats what you want to call it. If i was interested i'd have watched the programme and read up on Stynes but alas, I am not.
johng wrote: I think you just like to be controversial like Kevin Myers, Dunphy, Hook or Franno.
Why so ? because I disagree with you and others? You dont have to agree, like or be enamoured with my opinion johng but accept it is my view.
Christ knows I have to put up with your inane ramblings on most if not all threads :?

Franno & Dunphy may be irritable Journo's and social commentators but they are right a fair amount of the time.
3 Gold Stars
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Peg Leg wrote:
Your point: You dislike him on account of his unpatriotic manner.
My point: His story is inspirational, personality doesn't come in to it so no need to address the character at all.
Thats a fair point
3 Gold Stars
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
johng wrote: Interested enough to besmirch his character all over this thread. :roll:

No, I pointed out a fact which some are unhappy about. You say besmirch? I wouldnt disagree if thats what you want to call it. If i was interested i'd have watched the programme and read up on Stynes but alas, I am not.
johng wrote: I think you just like to be controversial like Kevin Myers, Dunphy, Hook or Franno.
Why so ? because I disagree with you and others? You dont have to agree, like or be enamoured with my opinion johng but accept it is my view.
Christ knows I have to put up with your inane ramblings on most if not all threads :?

Franno & Dunphy may be irritable Journo's and social commentators but they are right a fair amount of the time.
Point I am making is. On the one hand you have no interest in the guy (you say) on the other hand you have made 10 posts on this thread about a guy you have no interest in :? and double :?

Why so? Because slagging off a guy who seems to have done a lot in a good cause and refusing to acknowledge or even read about his deeds, since the event that you can't get over, is controversial (possibly just for the sake of it)
Note: I did not say right or wrong, just controversial.

Neither of us have to agree with or put up with each other's inane ramblings, if we were all the same it would be a boring world.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Peg Leg wrote: My point: His story is inspirational, personality doesn't come in to it so no need to address the character at all.
Thats a fair point
Yes, it is!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

johng wrote:
Point I am making is. On the one hand you have no interest in the guy (you say) on the other hand you have made 10 posts on this thread about a guy you have no interest in :? and double :?

Neither of us have to agree with or put up with each other's inane ramblings, if we were all the same it would be a boring world.
Fair point on the latter but on the former, I was responding to posts and questions. I am not interested in his lifestory or anything he does in his personal time. Can't see the problem TBH.

As for being controversial, if i wanted to take up that particular mantle then i'd bump the Gerry Ryan thread and pose the question as to how an arrogant opinionated junkie working on National Radio managed to command €600,000 salary through mine and yours licence fee.
3 Gold Stars
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
As for being controversial, if i wanted to take up that particular mantle then i'd bump the Gerry Ryan thread and pose the question as to how an arrogant opinionated junkie working on National Radio managed to command €600,000 salary through mine and yours licence fee.
But that's not controversial. :lol: Well perhaps using the word junkie might get you a few points :wink:
But the fact that he got that much money for coming out with as much inane blather as.....well...me for instance.
At least I do it for free!
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Peg Leg wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Peg Leg wrote: My point: His story is inspirational, personality doesn't come in to it so no need to address the character at all.
Thats a fair point
Yes, it is!
:roll:
Perversion of the facts.
3 Gold Stars
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Sea_point wrote: Eh fact? Your argument was all heasay, Sean Boylan said something like blah blah etc.
Yes fact and not hearsay. Sean Boylan, from what i can remember, never said 'Blah Blah Blah' in the interview. He did say Stynes was a joke figure amongst his players and his actions were shameful. That is fact.
It is not fact becasue you say it is fact, provide even one link to that exact quote...
Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Sea_point wrote: I do remeber the time well as when Stynes moved down under (1985) I was doing my Leaving Cert. I'm no Jim Stynes apologist, but your argument is pathetic frankly...
I'm not arguing, I merely pointed out a little known fact and you and others get all hot and bothered about it.
Oh yeah, and how many posts repeating yourself on a thread that has no actual impact on you good bad or indifferent.... :roll:

Again your use of the term Fact is incorrect, you believe it to be true but have offered no actual evidence, and certainly none that Boylan was actually in the Aussie changing room to quote Stynes...
Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Sea_point wrote: Are you going to dig out every Irish person who emigrates and does their best for the country that provides for them and theirs with work, economic and social opportunites and a lifestyle that would have been impossible in the Ireland of the 1980's unless you wore the right school tie or know somebody who knew somebody. The real fact is that Stynes was touring as an employee of the AFL not the GAA, of course he was always obliged to row in with the Aussie team..
Steady on fella, less of the self-pitying nonsense. Why would i drag up every sporting emigrant? what purpose would that serve? I'm pointing out his lack of patriotism. You stick to waffle, ill stick to facts.
Why would you single out even one..?? Does it make you feel more patriotic, a better Irishman than Jim Stynes.
Congrats, I'm really impressed... :roll:
Sauvignon Blank wrote: In your opinion, Jimmy Stynes would have ended up on the scratcher, standing on corners, bemoaning his lack of opportunities whilst clinging grimly to a can of Dutch Gold because he did'nt go to Gonzaga, Clongowes or Blackrock :lol:
Much like your Boylan quote make up what you want buddy, I and over a third of my classmates left Ireland within three or four years of doing our leaving certs. GAA clubs and counties were losing handfuls of players each years during the eighties, so yes he could have ended up on the corner if he stayed put but much like the rest of us he took a gamble and then embraced the culture that entered. I know loads of friends who did likewise are still abroad and woudln't dream of coming back, because as recent events have proved yet again in Ireland things change, things stay the same...
Sea_point wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote: Get over yourself, really...!!!
Take your own advice.
Very pithy.... :lol: :lol: :roll:
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
johng wrote:

Fair point on the latter but on the former, I was responding to posts and questions. I am not interested in his lifestory or anything he does in his personal time. Can't see the problem TBH.

No you weren't, you were responding to responses to your original post only, yours is the only non-consenual voice on this thread...

And yeah go on slag off a dead guy, it really is one up from slagging off a bloke fighting cancer..... :roll:
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Sea_point wrote: It is not fact becasue you say it is fact, provide even one link to that exact quote...
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Football% ... 0153965980
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Football% ... 0154027095

The proud Irishman Jimmy Stynes.
Sea_point wrote: again your use of the term Fact is incorrect, you believe it to be true but have offered no actual evidence, and certainly none that Boylan was actually in the Aussie changing room to quote Stynes...
Your making things up seapoint, tut tut tut. I never said Boylan was in their dressing room. I am sticking by my original assertion that Stynes made a speech that had the Aussies in tears and fired them up to knock the shoite out of the Irish team. Boylan was on Irish radio(cant find it at the mo)recounting the events incandescent with anger.

Sea_point wrote: Why would you single out even one..??
'Cos he's unpatriotic.
Sea_point wrote: Does it make you feel more patriotic,

no not really.
seapoint wrote:
......a better Irishman than Jim Stynes.
Not really, however I'd never EVER turn my back on or let my country down. Unlike Jimmy Stynes of Australia via Dublin has.
seapoint wrote: Congrats, I'm really impressed... :roll:
You impress easily.

seapoint wrote: Much like your Boylan quote make up what you want buddy,
I'm not your buddy and i dont make things up. Sorry to shatter your illusion of Stynes.
seapoint wrote: I and over a third of my classmates left Ireland within three or four years of doing our leaving certs. GAA clubs and counties were losing handfuls of players each years during the eighties, so yes he could have ended up on the corner if he stayed put but much like the rest of us he took a gamble and then embraced the culture that entered.
Shall i get the voilin out now ?
seapoint wrote: I know loads of friends who did likewise are still abroad and woudln't dream of coming back, because as recent events have proved yet again in Ireland things change, things stay the same...
Good luck to them, will they be missed? I wonder do they frequent Irish bars and go all green misty eyed on St Patricks Day.
seapoint wrote: Get over yourself, really...!!!
Take your own advice.
seapoint wrote: Very pithy.... :lol: :lol: :roll:
It's better than self pity. :wink:
3 Gold Stars
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Sea_point wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:
johng wrote:

seapoint wrote: No you weren't, you were responding to responses to your original post only, yours is the only non-consenual voice on this thread...
SB wrote:..erm, thats kinda what posters do on a forum :? so im the only non-consensual voice on the thread? By your logic being in the minority and voicing an opinion equates to being wrong? When you left Ireland years ago to escape the devestation did you perchance stay in South Africa during apartheid or Rhodesia?
seapoint wrote: And yeah go on slag off a dead guy,
SB wrote:Did I say anything that was incorrect or have i misrepresented Gerry Ryan in any way? out of curiosity.
seapoint wrote: it really is one up from slagging off a bloke fighting cancer..... :roll:
Sauvignon wrote: My opening gambit on this thread was that i empathised with his struggle with Cancer, much like any human being struggling with the disease. And i still do.
What I did criticise or 'slag off' as you term, was his shenannigans whilst managing the Aussies. And like it or lump seapoint, id raise this point to Stynes myself if i ever met him.
Not that he'd care of course, as he wouldn't give a skippy piss what an irishman thought judging by his past.
3 Gold Stars
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by combatlogo »

About the level of "wrap the green flag around me boys" idiocy I'd expect from you Blanky. I'm delighted Stynes adopted his new nation so wholeheartedly. As Norman Tebbit said, even if your forebears came to England from the Carribean or the sub-continent, you should be cheering for England in cricket.
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:My opening gambit on this thread was that i empathised with his struggle with Cancer, much like any human being struggling with the disease. And i still do.
What I did criticise or 'slag off' as you term, was his shenannigans whilst managing the Aussies. And like it or lump seapoint, id raise this point to Stynes myself if i ever met him.
I sincerely doubt that, talk is fecking cheap on a forum and from what I've read here you're definitely all talk (why don't you send him an email with your considered opinions, I'm sure he could do with a good laugh...).
Sauvignon Blank wrote: Not that he'd care of course, as he wouldn't give a skippy piss what an irishman thought judging by his past.
I'm sure he would but he'd probably be choosy about which particular type of Irishman, given he's lived there for 25 years, is an Australian citizen and quite naturally considers himself Australian.

Hardly surprising seeing that they are obviously taken with him after a phenomenal career in AFL by Australian standards let alone Irish. Being twice named Victorian of the Year (2001 and 2003) and being honoured by the Queen with the Medal of the Order of Australia in (2007) and Melburnian of the Year (2010). But maybe he should have turned those down just to appease real Irishmen like yourself back in Ireland.........

Despite all your bluster you must be one seriously insecure individual if you think that every Irish born person who leaves our shore has to cling on to Irishness every day for the rest of their lives or measure up to your standards of Irishness...
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by combatlogo »

He's a Republican hero SP, he doesn't sing Ireland's Call at internationals - that really puts those Brit Imperialists and their Unionist lackeys in their place.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Sea_point wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:My opening gambit on this thread was that i empathised with his struggle with Cancer, much like any human being struggling with the disease. And i still do.
talk is fecking cheap on a forum and from what I've read here you're definitely all talk (why don't you send him an email with your considered opinions, I'm sure he could do with a good laugh...).
You should email him your patethic story about you and your classmates having to leave a desolate devestated place in the 80s to escape a life of lager drinking and crime :lol: now that would make Jimmy Stynes of Australia laugh. It certainly made me chuckle to myself.
Sauvignon Blank wrote: Not that he'd care of course, as he wouldn't give a skippy piss what an irishman thought judging by his past.
seapoint wrote: I'm sure he would but he'd probably be choosy about which particular type of Irishman, given he's lived there for 25 years, is an Australian citizen and quite naturally considers himself Australian.
I care not one jot about schmoozing with Jimmy, you on the other hand probably do. And yes he does consider himself Australian. Its just he was born and raised in Dublin. But then again, apart from the Aborigines, arent they all Irish, English, Scots etc at some point.
So I may have to concede some ground. Fair enough.
seapoint wrote: Hardly surprising seeing that they are obviously taken with him after a phenomenal career in AFL by Australian standards let alone Irish. Being twice named Victorian of the Year (2001 and 2003) and being honoured by the Queen with the Medal of the Order of Australia in (2007) and Melburnian of the Year (2010).
Does he have a Blue Peter badge and Mr&Mrs Carriage clock to?
Put your willy away seapoint :lol:

seapoint wrote: But maybe he should have turned those down just to appease real Irishmen like yourself back in Ireland.........
Can you define that term for me as distinct from 'an Irishman'?
Should he have turned them down? of course not, every little helps in your adopted country when you have previously escaped a desolate poverty ridden life back in Dublin because you didnt attend Blackrock college. Comedy gold seapoint :green clap:
seapoint wrote: Despite all your bluster you must be one seriously insecure individual if you think that every Irish born person who leaves our shore has to cling on to Irishness every day for the rest of their lives or measure up to your standards of Irishness...
Erm, youre telling porkies again seapoint :? making things up. Do point out where i said 'every Irish born person has to cling on to Irishness for the rest of their lives'. If you cannot stick to the main point without resorting to lies then best left alone.
What I said...just for your benefit again...

He forgot his roots and turned on his country. To some this is shameful to others with an identity crisis(yourself) this means nothing. Thats fine, i accept it doesn't rankle with you because your definition of 'Irishness' is rather vague.
However, you are probably one of these gobshites that becomes all pseudo patriotic when England come to town, or when at Twickenham, sing the anthem a bit louder in earshot of English fans and mumble some of the words because you dont know them. Behind that facade you are also quite uncomfortable with your own history? I could be wrong but .......probably not.

Finally, you didn't answer the question concerning Gerry Ryan. Care to? or was it just plain truthful?
3 Gold Stars
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Sea_point wrote: But maybe he should have turned those down just to appease real Irishmen like yourself back in Ireland.........
Can you define that term for me as distinct from 'an Irishman'?
Should he have turned them down? of course not, every little helps in your adopted country when you have previously escaped a desolate poverty ridden life back in Dublin because you didnt attend Blackrock college. Comedy gold seapoint :green clap:
seapoint wrote: Despite all your bluster you must be one seriously insecure individual if you think that every Irish born person who leaves our shore has to cling on to Irishness every day for the rest of their lives or measure up to your standards of Irishness...
Erm, youre telling porkies again seapoint :? making things up. Do point out where i said 'every Irish born person has to cling on to Irishness for the rest of their lives'. If you cannot stick to the main point without resorting to lies then best left alone.
What I said...just for your benefit again...

He forgot his roots and turned on his country. To some this is shameful to others with an identity crisis(yourself) this means nothing. Thats fine, i accept it doesn't rankle with you because your definition of 'Irishness' is rather vague.
However, you are probably one of these gobshites that becomes all pseudo patriotic when England come to town, or when at Twickenham, sing the anthem a bit louder in earshot of English fans and mumble some of the words because you dont know them. Behind that facade you are also quite uncomfortable with your own history? I could be wrong but .......probably not.

Finally, you didn't answer the question concerning Gerry Ryan. Care to? or was it just plain truthful?
I'll hapilly discuss my Irishness or lack of it face to face with you next time I'm home, always glad to set an Internet Hardman straight... :roll:

You should be easy enough to spot, I bet people flock to speak to you in the HSH... :lol: :lol: :lol: