Cricket World Cup

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Mika
Bookworm

Re: Cricket World Cup

Post by Mika »

not a cricket fan at all but would love to see those highlights, amazing result :-)
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

Just amazing to watch, such a huge target to chase against England, WWWOOOOOOOHHHHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
:happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Mika wrote:not a cricket fan at all but would love to see those highlights, amazing result :-)
Highlights on BBC 2 at 10 tonight
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

That was rather good
I have Bumbleflex
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

What a result by the lads...............Kev O'Brien has been threatening that sort of knock for a few years now-he finally made one count in a MAJOR fixture.
Unbelievable.............England are getting some awful stick already-were they poor in the field?
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

More entertaining that a certain other English sport last Sunday.

Just had a call from my brother who's watching it on $ky. Says the analysts back in studio look like FFers last Saturday.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Not a big cricket fan to be honest and never thought I would find it exciting but that was brilliant. Well done Ireland!!
Think I'll watch the highlights tonight.
Dont Panic!
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Ha ha, someone just pointed out that the match was won by Johnston, Mooney and O'Brien!!!
Last edited by Xanthippe on March 3rd, 2011, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Ha brilliant.

Looking forward to the highlights tonight now.
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Xanthippe wrote:Ha ha, someone just pointed out that the match was won by Johns(t)on, Mooney and O'Brien!!!
I smell another photoshop competition coming...
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Absolutely fantastic win, up there with absolutely any Irish sporting achievement...........

Records all over the shop, 6th Wicket partnership record for Cusack & O'Brien of 162 runs...
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Great finish, played it well. Won with a few balls left so it wasn't too risky.

Performance from O'Brien was unreal. Hopefully this will mean the end of that associate business.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

When the dust settles in the coming days, I hope that the ICC will think long and hard about Ireland's future in the game. They will, in essence, have two options:-

1. Maintain the status quo whereby our best players are poached by England and our true potential is thereby stultified; or
2. Make it a priority to help Ireland to push on towards full membership and test status.

I just hope they do the right thing. Unless we're elevated to the highest echelon, our contribution to world cricket is never going to amount to more than the occasional spectacular upset against the major nations. Cricket is never going to be the biggest sport in Ireland, but the interest level is certainly sufficient to justify a more permanent arrangement e.g. two or three provincial sides playing in the English County Championship.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

Just wow. I saw England's score and then was in meetings for the rest of the day. Didn't think anything would come of it, except maybe a decent knock by one of the boys to make the score decent. Then I came out of my meetings and had all sorts of people asking me about cricket, saying Ireland had won. I assumed they were talking nonsense and just didn't understand the scores or the game.

Wow.
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

tackle-bag wrote:When the dust settles in the coming days, I hope that the ICC will think long and hard about Ireland's future in the game. They will, in essence, have two options:-

1. Maintain the status quo whereby our best players are poached by England and our true potential is thereby stultified; or
2. Make it a priority to help Ireland to push on towards full membership and test status.

I just hope they do the right thing. Unless we're elevated to the highest echelon, our contribution to world cricket is never going to amount to more than the occasional spectacular upset against the major nations. Cricket is never going to be the biggest sport in Ireland, but the interest level is certainly sufficient to justify a more permanent arrangement e.g. two or three provincial sides playing in the English County Championship.
I'd settle for just having the Irish side in county cricket. They no longer play first class cricket in Pakistan so surely having a first class side competing in England, along with a few results like this (better than anything Banladesh did before being admitted), would be enough for the ICC to grant Test status.

Mind you, the ICC are the most corrupt sporting organisation in the world so a sack full of cash would probably be better.
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Was on a coference call.....till my phone fell apart having hit the roof at pace.....We were 400:1 at one point to win that game!!!

So England have been beaten by a bloke with pink hair. I wonder if they're any good at rugby?
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Kevin O'Brien should start at 10 for the rest of the 6 nations.
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Watching that was the best fun I had with my clothes on in a long time. Well done Ireland :green clap: :green clap: :green clap:
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Not a cricket fan but that was brilliant! A few of ye bailed a bit early on the team. Some performance, England were 1/2000 yes 1/2000 to beat Ireland. Hopefully that will inspire the rugby lads and we can do the double over England! There has to be a song from this to drown out the chariots, somebody call the Rubber Bandits :idea:
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Not really a cricket fan but know enough to recognise an astonishing performance from Ireland.

That should go down in Irish sporting history as one of it's finest hours and deservedly so.

Well done to the lads. Magnificent stuff :clap: :clap: :clap:
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.