Cricket World Cup

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Cricket World Cup

Post by tackle-bag »

Really appalling bowling from Rankin there towards the end. In his final few overs, he gave away more than 20 cheap runs against tail-end batsmen. At least Johnston was taking wickets when he was conceding runs. I hope the sloppy finish doesn't come back to haunt us.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

West Brit wrote:206 to win. It seems like a slow pitch but it's certainly gettable.

Really should have been 30 less if they had managed the bowlers better, seven batsmen getting to double figures, four to 30+ and another bonus with the Extra's.

Have a look at Rankins bowling on the Cricinfo Hawkeye feature, use the Beehive PLacment to get the best idea of how loose his bowling was. Compared to Johnson & Mooney he was all over the shop...

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc_cricket_worldcup2011/engine/current/match/433566.html

Sixty-four thousand dollar question.....who's going to be the one to anchor the innings though...??
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Sea_point wrote:Sixty-four thousand dollar question.....who's going to be the one to anchor the innings though...??
Ed Joyce to score a cheeky 100 on his return. Porterfield, Stirling and the O'Briens to clean up the rest! :D
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

deco wrote:Mrs Deco got an Ireland cricket polo shirt from the main sponsors. Neither of us has much interest in the CWC so if any of you sados want it I can bring it to the game tonight.

BNWT. Medium. 40" chest.

I take a medium......yes please.
Will pm you my mobile number.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

f%~k it. Stirling gone. He's a loose cannon if he doesn't start quick.
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

nelly the elephant wrote:
deco wrote:Mrs Deco got an Ireland cricket polo shirt from the main sponsors. Neither of us has much interest in the CWC so if any of you sados want it I can bring it to the game tonight.

BNWT. Medium. 40" chest.

[img]The%20Big%20Picture[/img]
I take a medium......yes please.
Will pm you my mobile number.
That's me out, me and Medium go a long way back. A long. long way back.... :oops: :wink:
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Darce wrote:f%~k it. Stirling gone. He's a loose cannon if he doesn't start quick.
Skipper gone too with 40 on the scoreboard, 166 to get. Cue much finger nail chewing....
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Joyce looks steady and assured. Hopefully he'll prove to be the anchor. Once five or six lads don't go for 3's and 4's and we get a couple of good scores we'll be okay
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Darce wrote:Joyce looks steady and assured. Hopefully he'll prove to be the anchor. Once five or six lads don't go for 3's and 4's and we get a couple of good scores we'll be okay
We've got decent bating strength down to eight, Dockrell and Rankin woudl struggle to get double figures....
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Darce wrote:Joyce looks steady and assured. Hopefully he'll prove to be the anchor. Once five or six lads don't go for 3's and 4's and we get a couple of good scores we'll be okay
Joyce gone for 16 with 18 overs gone, not exactly the contribution we needed. :x
Cricinfo wrote: 18.1 Mohammad Ashraful to Joyce, OUT, huge wicket! Joyce has gone and Ashraful is celebrating wildly! Nothing shot, Joyce just turning the bat against the spin, took a leading edge and popped back to the bowler. The celebration was delirious. Bangladesh are all over this now!

EC Joyce c & b Mohammad Ashraful 16 (35b 0x4 0x6) SR: 45.71
We're a long way from home Toto... :wink:
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

I blame you Darce! :P
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Doing their best to blow it now, White out for bugger all. The O'Briens will have to dig us out, CONTROLLED AGGRESION please Kev.... :wink:
Cricinfo wrote: 24.4
Mohammad Ashraful to White, OUT, Ashraful is dancing again! You'd think he's just won the tournament. As it is he snared White who played back to a ball he should have got forward to. Hung his bat out in defence and it spun back past the inside edge onto off stump

AR White b Mohammad Ashraful 10 (27b 1x4 0x6) SR: 37.03
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

Now we're in trouble... :cry:
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
dod
Knowledgeable

Post by dod »

West Brit wrote:Now we're in trouble... :cry:
We in deep deep trouble now.. Need Kev to hang around for a bit with the lower order..
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

You'd better believe we're in the s*it now, O'Brien senior gone....
Cricinfo wrote: 27.4
Shakib Al Hasan to NJ O'Brien, OUT, what a catch! Get the celebrations going again, Tamim is the man! Niall O'Brien tried to chip a single to square leg, got too much on it and Tamim, haring in from the boundary, dived forward full length to scoop the ball inches off the turf. Crucial wicket that, could be the one that takes the game

NJ O'Brien c Tamim Iqbal b Shakib Al Hasan 38 (52b 3x4 0x6) SR: 73.07
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Great over by O'Brien and Botha. 144/5 now. Need just 62 from 97 balls.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

I have to say that, if we don't win this, the bulk of the blame has to rest with Porterfield and Rankin. The latter's bowling was all over the place and well below the standard which one would expect of one of the full-time players in the team. Almost a third of their runs came from his 9 overs. Porterfield, as captain, should have taken steps to alter the attack, which could probably have kept Bangladesh down around the 180 remark.

Joyce also has to take a certain amount of flak too, given mis meagre contribution (which was achieved very slowly). As a senior player, in a game in which the run rate was never going to require urgency, he shouldn't have attempted such a shot.

Anyway, calm heads required now. The run rate is just 3.93 with 15 overs to go. If wickets are preserved, the runs will come.
Darce
Shane Jennings

Post by Darce »

We're just creeping ahead of the run rate now.

If we hold our nerve we can still do it. Remember, we can bat all the way down to TJ
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

:(
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

sarah_lennon wrote::(
Oh poo poo.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP