WTF is going on in Scotland????

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

WTF is going on in Scotland????

Post by brummie-leinster-man »

They're taking the whole puffball thing a bit seriously lately.

parcel bombs, fans attacking managers........

Can they not just enjoy the game?????
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Re: WTF is going on in Scotland????

Post by Darce »

No, because they are scum
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

The entire soccer-watching community of Scotland are scum?
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

Why do so many people want Neil Lennon dead?
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

brummie-leinster-man wrote:Why do so many people want Neil Lennon dead?
Cos the damn croppy won't lie down!
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

Seriously, I dont follow puffball whatsoever so I'm really clueless about Neil Lennon.

What has he done?
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

Seriously, I dont follow puffball whatsoever so I'm really clueless about Neil Lennon.

What has he done?
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

He's a Catholic from Norn Iron in charge of the Queen's Celtic. That's probably enough for some nutters.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

Broken Wing wrote:He's a Catholic from Norn Iron in charge of the Queen's Celtic. That's probably enough for some nutters.

Queens Celtic? Now I am confused
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

Broken Wing wrote:He's a Catholic from Norn Iron in charge of the Queen's Celtic. That's probably enough for some nutters.
Somebody reads the Fiver!
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

brummie-leinster-man wrote:Seriously, I dont follow puffball whatsoever so I'm really clueless about Neil Lennon.

What has he done?
A lot of it goesback to his playing days when he was threatened with death to both him and his family if he played for Northern Ireland, he stopped playing for them and he then transfered from Leicester to Celtic which didn't go down well with his enemies and has moved on to become manager of Celtic but he hasn't really helped himself as he is no shrinking violet either and gives plenty of guff as well, the McCoist incident and the gestures to the Rangers fans come to mind. Football in Scotland is very very secretarian and both sides are as bad as each other in that regard but the sending of parcel bombs and bullets in the mail take it to a whole new level. "Sport" as they call it was never supposed to be like this!!!
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Armchair wrote: the McCoist incident and the gestures to the Rangers fans come to mind
I'm not a fan of his, not really a fan of celtic, but Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho get up to this kind of nonsense every week and no one comments. This is a problem with Scottish society, not Celtic football club.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

West Brit wrote:The entire soccer-watching community of Scotland are scum?

mostly yeah
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Logorrhea wrote:
Armchair wrote: the McCoist incident and the gestures to the Rangers fans come to mind
I'm not a fan of his, not really a fan of celtic, but Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho get up to this kind of nonsense every week and no one comments. This is a problem with Scottish society, not Celtic football club.
Never said it was a problem with Celtic football just commented that it makes a more hostile atmosphere worse and isn't the smartest thing to do
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

Armchair wrote:
Logorrhea wrote:
Never said it was a problem with Celtic football just commented that it makes a more hostile atmosphere worse and isn't the smartest thing to do
Maybe not smart but perhaps understandable? The bile that was coming his way all match was so far over the top as to be ridiculous - I know if I had to put up with disgusting abuse for 90 minutes from 50,000 people, I too would cup my hands around my ears if my team got a draw.

I totally agree it wasn't the smartest thing ever, but as a pundit wrote about the Old Firm derbies - the fans have to know they're not contractually obliged to cause utter mayhem in society just because a couple of players from their teams have cross words with each other.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Armchair wrote:Never said it was a problem with Celtic football just commented that it makes a more hostile atmosphere worse and isn't the smartest thing to do
Just used your point to make a point. Wasnt aimed at you directly.
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

Armchair wrote:
brummie-leinster-man wrote:Seriously, I dont follow puffball whatsoever so I'm really clueless about Neil Lennon.

What has he done?
A lot of it goesback to his playing days when he was threatened with death to both him and his family if he played for Northern Ireland, he stopped playing for them and he then transfered from Leicester to Celtic which didn't go down well with his enemies and has moved on to become manager of Celtic but he hasn't really helped himself as he is no shrinking violet either and gives plenty of guff as well, the McCoist incident and the gestures to the Rangers fans come to mind. Football in Scotland is very very secretarian and both sides are as bad as each other in that regard but the sending of parcel bombs and bullets in the mail take it to a whole new level
Oh right Ted.
"Sport" as they call it was never supposed to be like this!!!

Couldn't agree more. I hope rugby stays the way it is....
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

brummie-leinster-man wrote:
Armchair wrote:

What has he done?
A lot of it goesback to his playing days when he was threatened with death to both him and his family if he played for Northern Ireland, he stopped playing for them and he then transfered from Leicester to Celtic which didn't go down well with his enemies and has moved on to become manager of Celtic but he hasn't really helped himself as he is no shrinking violet either and gives plenty of guff as well, the McCoist incident and the gestures to the Rangers fans come to mind. Football in Scotland is very very secretarian and both sides are as bad as each other in that regard but the sending of parcel bombs and bullets in the mail take it to a whole new level
Oh right Ted.
"Sport" as they call it was never supposed to be like this!!!

Couldn't agree more. I hope rugby stays the way it is....

You see, Mr Lennon is affectionately known as a 'wee taig'. A derogatory term for a Northern Irish Catholic. The little ginger fella had the temerity to play for Northern Ireland but actually would have preferred to play for his country 'Ireland', not some manufactured little statelets' team, whose following/supporters (ahem) are sectarian. This didn't go down well with the orange bigots supporting Linfield, Glentoran, Portadown and in particular Rangers. It is important to them that no 'wee-Taig' rise above his station or entertain delusions of grandeur. Hence the 'Hang-Mans' noose graffiti around the Lisburn area at the time (his home). His father spoke of how he'd be driving to and from the town and work daily to see this graffiti about his son everywhere.
Not a nice thing to endure.

Now, other notable catholics have played for the North but have not attracted the same attention e.g Martin O'Neill and Pat Jennings. The reason for this is a moot point but essentially boils down to the fact already mentioned on this thread that Neil Lennon unlike the aforementioned is no shrinking voilet, no passive 'wee taig', and will stand up for himself, his religion, beliefs and community. He makes no apologies for being a Northern Catholic who had aspirations to play for Ireland and Celtic. You see, he's a bit too 'Feniany' for some unfortunately. Incurring the wrath of orange/loyalist bigots usually means bullets in the post, an almost weekly occurrence for Celtic Fc players from the North. McCourt gets them regularly.

In my opinion he should not be walking out to the centre circle at Ibrox and applauding his fans, then cup his ears to the Rangers Fans, but then again a certain Glaswegian who played at Ibrox has been doing this for years, and recieved a knighthood for his endeavours.
There is sectarianism on both sides of the community , infesting more than 2 teams in Scotland, no question. But to say it is in equal measure is wildly inaccurate and downright ignorant.

Rangers and Hearts players don't recieve bullets and parcel bombs in their daily mail. Their players children don't require Police protection.
3 Gold Stars
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Darce wrote:No, because they are scum

Brilliantly thought out argument, care to elaborate on your assertion?
3 Gold Stars
brummie-leinster-man
Enlightened

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
You see, Mr Lennon is affectionately known as a 'wee taig'. A derogatory term for a Northern Irish Catholic. The little ginger fella had the temerity to play for Northern Ireland but actually would have preferred to play for his country 'Ireland', not some manufactured little statelets' team, whose following/supporters (ahem) are sectarian. This didn't go down well with the orange bigots supporting Linfield, Glentoran, Portadown and in particular Rangers. It is important to them that no 'wee-Taig' rise above his station or entertain delusions of grandeur. Hence the 'Hang-Mans' noose graffiti around the Lisburn area at the time (his home). His father spoke of how he'd be driving to and from the town and work daily to see this graffiti about his son everywhere.
Not a nice thing to endure.

Now, other notable catholics have played for the North but have not attracted the same attention e.g Martin O'Neill and Pat Jennings. The reason for this is a moot point but essentially boils down to the fact already mentioned on this thread that Neil Lennon unlike the aforementioned is no shrinking voilet, no passive 'wee taig', and will stand up for himself, his religion, beliefs and community. He makes no apologies for being a Northern Catholic who had aspirations to play for Ireland and Celtic. You see, he's a bit too 'Feniany' for some unfortunately. Incurring the wrath of orange/loyalist bigots usually means bullets in the post, an almost weekly occurrence for Celtic Fc players from the North. McCourt gets them regularly.

In my opinion he should not be walking out to the centre circle at Ibrox and applauding his fans, then cup his ears to the Rangers Fans, but then again a certain Glaswegian who played at Ibrox has been doing this for years, and recieved a knighthood for his endeavours.
There is sectarianism on both sides of the community , infesting more than 2 teams in Scotland, no question. But to say it is in equal measure is wildly inaccurate and downright ignorant.

Rangers and Hearts players don't recieve bullets and parcel bombs in their daily mail. Their players children don't require Police protection.
Thanks for this, it's quite a clear summary. Its actually made me respect the guy quite a lot! I cant help but think fair play to him. He's got b*%&!cks I'll give him that much!