Robbie Keane

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Leinster Exile
Mullet

Robbie Keane

Post by Leinster Exile »

I'm not a kissball supporter and that carling cup thing is nonsense. However Robbie Keane's 49 goals in international football is nothing short of astonishing.

I think its worth a mention as 1 more goal sees him being the top scorer in international football in the British Isles. Fair dues to the Tallaght man.
All the way back logue
Graduate

Re: Robbie Keane

Post by All the way back logue »

Leinster Exile wrote:I'm not a kissball supporter and that carling cup thing is nonsense. However Robbie Keane's 49 goals in international football is nothing short of astonishing.

I think its worth a mention as 1 more goal sees him being the top scorer in international football in the British Isles. Fair dues to the Tallaght man.
I don't think he gets the recognition he deserves - he gets a lot of abuse at games which he probably brings on himself with all his arm waiving and gesturing to the ref - but 49 goals is incredible - i grew up watching irish international football when 20 goals would have had you all time top goalscorer. And he's also scored against the top teams aswell - Italy, Germany, Holland etc. Hopefully he gets a new contract with a prem team next year - would have thought he still has 2 or 3 more years left at a high level.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

All the way back logue wrote:Hopefully he gets a new contract with a prem team next year - would have thought he still has 2 or 3 more years left at a high level.
Might go back to Wolves?
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

his wiki doesnt show who he has scored his goals against and i suspect that 60% of his international goals have been in non-competitive matches ie Friendlies.

someone prove me wrong
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Leezer wrote:his wiki doesnt show who he has scored his goals against and i suspect that 60% of his international goals have been in non-competitive matches ie Friendlies.

someone prove me wrong
hows about you go look it up BEFORE you make the statement eh?
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Leezer wrote:i suspect that 60% of his international goals have been in non-competitive matches ie Friendlies.

someone prove me wrong
17 goals in 39 Friendly matches
14 goals in 29 Euro qualifiers
12 goals in 30 World Cup qualifiers
3 in 4 World Cup games
3 in 2 Carling Nations Cup games

http://www.soccer-ireland.com/irish-soc ... -goals.htm
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

17 in friendlys or a third of his total.
Entirely average proportion-wise i would have thought.

I can't help but think there was more in it for him by the same token. He's an awful man for bitching and moaning and throwing the hands in the air. I couldn't estimate the amount of times i saw him doing this and within seconds a ball would be swung in to the right spot only for him to be seconds away.

It's hard to believe that he couldn't see this in his later years.

Edit: To illustrate how much trouble we're in upon his retirement, the next in line in the goals tally is Niall Quinn with half of Keane's total.
Last edited by Mackman15 on May 30th, 2011, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

Anything outside of the World Cup, Euro's and their qualifiers are friendlies IMO.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Leezer wrote:Anything outside of the World Cup, Euro's and their qualifiers are friendlies IMO.
So that's 29 of 49, or 59%, scored in matches that mean something, in your opinion.

Safe to say you were wrong in your claim of 60% in friendlies then.

The Carling Nations Cup may not mean anything now but the World Cup in 1930 was viewed as pretty meaningless at the time with only France, Belgium, Yugoslavia and Romania from Europe taking part.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

Broken Wing wrote:So that's 29 of 49, or 59%, scored in matches that mean something, in your opinion.

The Carling Nations Cup may not mean anything now but the World Cup in 1930 was viewed as pretty meaningless at the time with only France, Belgium, Yugoslavia and Romania from Europe taking part.

are you Claudine in disguise or something?

i dont see the Carling nations cup making it to year two.

Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Leezer wrote:
Broken Wing wrote:So that's 29 of 49, or 59%, scored in matches that mean something, in your opinion.

Would explain the 18 layers of slap her boatrace
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Leezer wrote:

Really? You ask for someone to prove you wrong and then, when I do, allow your inner spoilt child to respond?
Pro 12 Champions 14!
All the way back logue
Graduate

ok so he might have scored a fair % of his goals in friendlies - to me, this only reflects even better on him that he was bothered to play unattractive friendlies at a time when he was riding high in Italy/Premiership. Contrast this with the clowns who declare for us and then arent bothered to come over and play.

goals is goals

My own special highlight from the entire Carling cup was when they were playing GSTQ before the Norn Iron v Wales match - the sky camera focused on the one NI fan as he was all bedecked in green wig/NI jersey etc. He noticed himself on the big screen as he was belting out GSTQ and proceeded to give the fingers to the entire watching audience with a lip-read cry of "F*ck offff" - absolute class.
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

Broken Wing wrote: Really? You ask for someone to prove you wrong and then, when I do, allow your inner spoilt child to respond?

i had meant for someone to provide the stats so i could be proved wrong. i'm not disappointed as i was seeking to be proved wrong.

suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

I don't think much of Keane as a player, but I do think his outstaning contribution to the national team should see his propelled amongst the greatest sportsmen and women we have produced. In an era of endless meanginless friendlies and competitions, managerial merry-grounds and player disinterest, Keane always turns up at Malahide for training to reclaim his sport in the starting XI. His devotion to the cost can't be beaten. Kilbane and Given likewise. I find it deplorable that people like Anthony Stokes, James McC, Marc Wilson and Leon Best et al should be picked again to represent the same jersey Keane does. I'd see LoI plsyers take the place of these cowards.

He is not finished yet, but Keane, despite his deficiencies, can already look back at a really good career. He deserves another shot at a world cup
All the way back logue
Graduate

[quote="suisse"]I find it deplorable that people like Anthony Stokes, James McC, Marc Wilson and Leon Best et al should be picked again to represent the same jersey Keane does. I'd see LoI plsyers take the place of these cowards.

couldn't agree more

Brian Kerr was on the radio a week ago saying you wouldn't believe the amount of chasing of players that has to be done in advance of a game - he said you basically have to swallow your pride in trying to get some (not all) of these overpaid brats to confirm that they will play. Trappatoni is obviously not used to this and struggles, as he should, with the concept of chasing these no-names in comparison to working with top internationals in Italy in the past.

As for LoI players - i agree with the sentiment but i think the moral kudos of this approach might wear thin if results were not going our way.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Doing alright tonight! :-)
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

51 now ? 2 more than Bobby Charlton and 3 more than Mr Walkers crisps
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

He's been a magnificent servant for Ireland down through the years.

A lot of the younger players could learn an awful lot from him and Duff about the attitude you should have when you get selected to play for Ireland.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Cianostays wrote:He's been a magnificent servant for Ireland down through the years.

A lot of the younger players could learn an awful lot from him and Duff about the attitude you should have when you get selected to play for Ireland.
They've have to show up to learn though, the selfish brats!